Linux and HP Prime
01-23-2019, 05:56 AM
Linux and HP Prime
Out of curiosity.
Suppose I want to completely switch from Windows 10 to Linux Mint 19.1

Question 1:
Is there in Linux, as far as you know, an opportunity to update my HP Prime?

I have a second notebook (32 bits) with Linux Mint 19.1.
I could not install the ConKit and virtual Prime under Wine. In VitualBox XP SP3 is installed as a virtual machine (I have the official XP installation CDs). The HP programs can not be installed there under XP.
If I had, for instance, Windows 7 32 bits installed as a virtual machine than I could try if it succeeds. The risk is that the USB communication, in combination with the Linux host, will not work properly.

Question 2:
Does anyone have the same situation (Linux Mint as host and Windows as guest) and can update the HP Prime?

— Dirk Hartland
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2019, 07:22 AM
RE: Linux and HP Prime
It depends. Are you talking about the G1 or G2? They have significantly different update protocols (and potential workarounds).
01-23-2019, 09:19 AM
Sorry, I’m talking about the G2 !

— Dirk Hartland
01-23-2019, 02:12 PM
(01-23-2019 05:56 AM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  If I had, for instance, Windows 7 32 bits installed as a virtual machine than I could try if it succeeds. The risk is that the USB communication, in combination with the Linux host, will not work properly.

You can do passthru of USB devices under Virtualbox, as long as you set it up properly, it works fine. I didn't try specifically the Prime kit but I used a VM while developing the USB communications for newRPL and USB passthru works quite well in Virtualbox. I'd say once you install it and setup proper permissions for USB on Linux, your chances of success are good.
01-23-2019, 03:54 PM
Hi Claudio,
Thanks for your answer and advice. I'll find out how that is with VirtualBox and your proposed USB passthru. First I will have to get Windows 7 32 bits with license!
Thanks again.

— Dirk Hartland
01-24-2019, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2019 01:03 PM by EugeneNine.)
Last time I tried the old technet trial of windows 7 still worked so you could do that instead of buying a license. But this is a reason why I won't buy a prime, I'd rather not fool with windows at all.
01-24-2019, 01:32 PM
Welllllll.... the linux tech preview I put out last Nov got about 3 people sending in any comments about it. Nobody seemed to want it.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-24-2019, 02:16 PM
Dunno, I didn't see any tech preview thread.
01-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Tim,
I started this topic because I had some annoying problems with Windows 10 and still no problems with Linux Mint. I have now solved it.
Was still wondering how I could possibly use the HP Prime (updating) with Linux, actually even better without a virtual Windows. Now it’s not in a hurry anymore.
Still, I notice that quite a few techies have switched to Linux.

EugeneNine,
Thanks for your suggestion.
My advise; buy a HP Prime it’s a wonderful machine!

— Dirk Hartland
01-24-2019, 02:33 PM
(01-24-2019 02:19 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  EugeneNine,
Thanks for your suggestion.
My advise; buy a HP Prime it’s a wonderful machine!

I kind of want one but I currently don't have anything that required WINE or windows in a VM so I don't want to get one for that reason, i.e. I don't want to have to mess with windows at all anymore.
01-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Okay, Eugene !!

— Dirk Hartland
01-24-2019, 05:17 PM
(01-24-2019 01:32 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Welllllll.... the linux tech preview I put out last Nov got about 3 people sending in any comments about it. Nobody seemed to want it.

That is a great pity. I found the preview most interesting since I haven't used Windows in over a decade. Last time I tried the connectivity kit under Wine it was decidedly hit or miss, though I see Wine 4 is now out. I have an ancient Vista to run in a VM, but I imagine the HP kit doesn't operate on that anymore. Of course the preview is now time expired >hint!<
01-24-2019, 06:14 PM
So where is this tech preview post?
01-24-2019, 06:56 PM
(01-24-2019 06:14 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  So where is this tech preview post?

Here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11412.html

Did you look?

--Bob Prosperi
01-24-2019, 07:20 PM
I looked (searched) for the words 'tech preview' Smile

I'll download it when I get home and give it a try
01-24-2019, 08:12 PM
(01-24-2019 01:32 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Welllllll.... the linux tech preview I put out last Nov got about 3 people sending in any comments about it. Nobody seemed to want it.

Personally I'm far more interested in a Linux Connectivity Kit, if only because constantly juggling between my Linux workstation and an old piece of junk running Windows while doing my things is a major pain in the buttocks. Not that I am a typical HP Prime user by a long shot (I can hardly use any calculators the normal way), but I can only assume nearly all other people running Linux share the same underlying problem.
01-24-2019, 08:15 PM

I would normally have been absolutely delighted, and swamped you with messages, but I switched to a Mac desktop (still have Linux & Solaris servers), so… Smile

I'm still delighted that any company takes the extra effort to make their products more usable with Linux platforms, much appreciated.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
01-25-2019, 12:40 AM
Is the connectivity kit a simple USB to Serial adapter?
01-25-2019, 08:39 AM
(01-25-2019 12:40 AM)EugeneNine Wrote:  Is the connectivity kit a simple USB to Serial adapter?

No, it's a piece of software. The HP Prime is a USB device.

— Ian Abbott
01-26-2019, 07:10 PM

Very glad you're putting the Linux builds out for folks to try. Thanks so much!!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)