A general hello, and apology for my lack of engagement recently.
01-23-2019, 10:41 PM
A general hello, and apology for my lack of engagement recently.
Hello everyone!

Firstly, my apologies for being off the grid for the last year. It has been a very busy year.

My job changed from co-pilot B777 to captain B787. That entailed an aircraft systems course and the captains course. The next 10 months have been settling into the new aircraft and responsibilities with a focus on both those positions.

Coincidentally, my supervisor of my 1987 MSc thesis called me in June with request that we collaborate on two articles, one for the Journal of Botany and a second for the Journal of Quaternary Science. I will be the lead author. This has evolved into a proposal for a PhD in Paleo-Climatology.

So my focus has been on the job with my free time split between work related duties, two peer reviewed articles and family.

Secondly;

I have not forgotten the HP experience and will be getting back to that. Maybe even something for HHC2019, which i will go on record as saying, my probability of attendance is 100%.

Now to my HPMuseum messages:

Hello Dave and Erik as well as Demosthenes! I will respond today.

Best wishes all for 2019

Geoff

P.S. on a lighter note; i have resurrected my HP 41 (CL) and reinstalled my IGCP program for use in the lab this spring. A few HPIL pieces (dot printer, floppy drive and tape drive) will dot the lab ;-). HHC2014 presentation based on my MSc thesis.

https://youtu.be/eyKGfXEBsWQ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2019, 03:04 AM
RE: A general hello, and apology for my lack of engagement recently.
(01-23-2019 10:41 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  My job changed from co-pilot B777 to captain B787.

Congratulations Geoff! That's great news!

I hope you raised the question of how to interface a 97S with the FMS...and how to put it into RPN mode. That way nobody will ask to borrow your jet :-)
01-24-2019, 03:12 AM
Geoff,

Welcome back and congratulations on all of your excellent accomplishments. I, for one, will be excited to see you at HHC2019.

John
01-24-2019, 06:10 AM
Congrats!!!

Does the 787 have HP-IL connectors? If not, put one!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
01-24-2019, 07:23 AM
Welcome back Geoff, and congratulations!

Lo and behold, the prodigal son returns.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Congrats on your promotion! Glad you have some free time to reengage with the community! When you have a moment, I'm curious to hear if flying the B787 has changed how you use any of your calculators and/or programs. TIA!
01-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Congratulations Geoff and glad to see you again!

Eddie
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Quite some accomplishments there! Well done!

Impressive the part about publishing articles while being a pilot. Already time wise it should be hard.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
01-24-2019, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2019 05:58 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Bob,

It is funny how archaic things are computing wise on the “dream liner”. Shielding against latch out requires years of testing and therefore processors and GUI interfaces are 1990’s to 2005 tech.

The touch screen cursor is from the 1990’s.

No touch screen virtual panels yet. Lots of LCD and buried nested pages with each screen able to emulate all others.

Nice thing, brakes are electric, air conditioning is electric (not bled from the engines therefore no fume events.)

In fact the DM42 is a great help on the flight deck as is the printer.

Cyrille,

Unfortunately the only HPIL is what I bring with me! I have newbies with their iPhones and I watches that laugh at the hp vintage tech. They point out their phone does everything and more until I PRINT the results.

Hi Eddie,

Nice to be back with a wonderful group of individuals! I should have a published work schedule and will be attending hhc2019. See you there.

Pier4r,

My Vancouver to Dehli (15-16 hours in the air) has a 48 hour layover. The security at the hotel and the temperatures (45’C) preclude a giant walk but the reading area in the lobby allows for a lot of reading material, note taking and editing. Actually, a great job for extracurricular study. Melbourne from Vancouver also has 48 hour layovers. So lots of read8ng, edit8ng, graphic work on the computer gets done. Of course the first year on new equipment (787) demands a lot of study and extra focusing during the first year just to get really comfortable and a higher standard then the training is geared to (my personal goal is better then standard of course].

Best regards, Geoff

Some things arrived in the mail over the past year or so. Will talk about them later...
01-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Geoff, great to see you active again!

And for those in doubt. I had the draft of THE BOOK in my hands on site at White Rock, while digesting a gorgeous salmon meal. Barbecued by Geoff, the best operator of a barbecue north of the Mexican Wall Smile

Hmm, fond memories. I owe you something at the next HHC.

Günter
01-25-2019, 01:22 AM
Hello Günter!

It was a pleasure having you visit Janice and I on your way to HHC2018.

Thanks for the kudos on the BBQ and your allusion to the wall ;-) and of course, THE BOOK. Let the flak start, Bob? :-)

Let’s look forward to 2019 and HHC!
01-25-2019, 01:31 AM
(01-25-2019 01:22 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Thanks for the kudos on the BBQ and your allusion to the wall ;-) and of course, THE BOOK. Let the flak start, Bob? :-)

Nah... I've decided to hold all such questions for HHC2019; it's more fun to have these discussions in person, with a beer.

Welcome back :-)

--Bob Prosperi
01-31-2019, 12:11 PM
Welcome back Geoff, and congratulations!
Is good to have you back !

Edoardo & Alberto
01-31-2019, 12:20 PM
(01-23-2019 10:41 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Hello everyone!

My job changed from co-pilot B777 to captain B787.

What an awesome achievement.

My pilot job has me flying 100 feet above ground level, up and down mountains, cliffs, dodging tree tops etc. I'd get a nose bleed that high :-)

cheers

Tony
12-14-2023, 10:40 PM
(01-25-2019 01:22 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Hello Günter!

It was a pleasure having you visit Janice and I on your way to HHC2018.

Thanks for the kudos on the BBQ and your allusion to the wall ;-) and of course, THE BOOK. Let the flak start, Bob? :-)

Let’s look forward to 2019 and HHC!

Ok, there may have been mention of this at conferences etc, but I was just wondering what happened with the book ?

Cheers,
John
12-15-2023, 10:54 PM
(12-14-2023 10:40 PM)Johnboy Wrote:  ... but I was just wondering what happened with the book ?

As are we, Johnboy, as are we.

Teehee, poke, poke Geoff.

Brad

PS Great seeing you in Orlando. Thanks for the Apollo computer demo, it was amazing.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)