Virtual Prime problems, Windows 10
01-31-2019, 04:27 PM
Virtual Prime problems, Windows 10
Hi all,

Virtual Prime x64, 2018_10_16
Windows 10 64b Home edition, 1809

Because I got the message "Configuration DataBase Corrupted" on my Windows 10 1803 and did not get it fixed, I reinstalled (clean install) my computer with Windows Media File to 1809.
After having reinstalled all my other software programs (pff!), it now works perfectly again but the Virtual Prime does not want to start up.
Starting the Virtual Prime I get the message: "Could not initialize application".

Windows system log file: "Fault; DistributedCOM 10016". (DCOM problem)
With the following information:
In the application-specific authorization settings, the Activate permission is not granted to Local for the COM server application with CLSID {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54} and APPID {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402} to the user DESKTOP-62QC213 \ Dirk Hartland SID (S-1-5-21-1268007341-3680362701-2555236784-1001) with the address LocalHost (via LRPC) running in the application container Not available SID (Not available). This security authorization can be changed with the Component Services management program.

(Note: I have the Dutch Windows version -- Translated with Google Translate)

I have tried a number of things in the registry (permissions) and in the DCOM management program but for both of these I don't have rights (permissions) even though I am administrator.

The ConnKit works well.

Does someone have a solution for me ?

— Dirk Hartland
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2019, 06:59 PM
RE: Virtual Prime problems, Windows 10
Sorry,
I have checked the system log again, especially the time-stamps.
When I start the virtual calculator I still get the message that it can not be initialized, but I get no error message 10016 in the system log. This error message is caused by something else, is therefore no longer relevant in this post.

The question remains why the virtual calculator can not be initialized (not start).

— Dirk Hartland
02-02-2019, 09:32 PM
Problem solved.
Windows Defender Control Center, Controlled folder access must be switches Off.
It was On, I think, after the new re-installation of Windows 10 version 1809.
You can leave it on, but you must add that program in “Allow an app through controlled folder access”

— Dirk Hartland
02-02-2019, 09:49 PM
Hi!, Dirk.nl :
I have installed in my HP Notebook Pavilion X360 Convertible 15-br001la, with Operating System Windows 10 Home Single Language 64 bits. 1809 - Version 17763.253, the Connectivity Kit and Virtual Emulator for HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR and run OK.
But, when migrate version 1803 to 1809, i delete with regedit, all registers of Connectivity Kit and Virtual Emulator.
Kind Regards.
@Maké.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-03-2019, 05:44 AM
Hi Maké,
I have done the same as you. I have also deleted all related registry entries, checked/changed some user account security settings, reinstalled virtual prime and connkit, etc, etc, but it was still not possible to run the virtual prime or save backups in the backup directory of the connkit.
Later I discovered in Windows Defender Control Center, that Controlled folder access was switched-on. HP virtual prime and connkit are not trusted programs (smile!) for the protected folders (like C:\users\username\documents).
Switching off “Controlled folder access” was the solution (or add virtual prime and connkit as trusted programs).
If defender is your standard protection, you can check this by yourself in your computer in window security control center.

— Dirk Hartland
02-03-2019, 06:07 AM
(02-02-2019 09:32 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  Problem solved.
Windows Defender Control Center, Controlled folder access must be switches Off.
It was On, I think, after the new re-installation of Windows 10 version 1809.
You can leave it on, but you must add that program in “Allow an app through controlled folder access”

Which folder is it complaining about? I would not think any are problematic...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Hi Tim, thanks for your response.
If Controlled Folder Access is activated (switched-on in Windows Defender) the following standard folders are protected against access from not thrusted programs:
C:\Users\Username\Documents
C:\Users\Public\Documents
C:\Users\Username\Pictures
C:\Users\Public\Pictures
C:\Users\Username\Videos
C:\Users\Public\Videos
C:\Users\Username\Music
C:\Users\Public\Music
C:\Users\Username\Desktop
C:\Users\Public\Desktop
C:\User\UserName\Favorites

If Controlled Folder Access is active it is not possible to install (on the right way) the virtual prime and the connectivity kit because the HP Prime install programs cannot access the Documents folder to add sub-directories “HP Connectivity Kit” and “HP Prime”
Maybe it is better to give before or during installing a warning with “Switch of Controlled Folder Access if Defender is your standard Virus Protection”
On Internet you can find more info about Controlled Folder Access.

Greetings.

— Dirk Hartland
02-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Hello Tim,
Was this the answer that you do something with?
I was curious if you had read my answer.

— Dirk Hartland

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)