What does HP-35 Red-Dot back look like?
02-27-2019, 11:46 PM
What does HP-35 Red-Dot back look like?
What does the back of an original HP-35 Red-Dot look like? Mine has no lower label; the molded-in recess is present with no sign of tampering and no sign of adhesive residue. The larger upper panel does not say "Made in USA" nor "Patent Pending" across the bottom edge. There is no serial number present, not even inside the battery compartment. Are these attributes authentic? (Given the scarcity of this version it would be very helpful to find such pics in the exhibit hall :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2019, 04:30 AM
RE: What does HP-35 Red-Dot back look like?
Michael Eckstein has a good listing of red dots including pictures of people who agree to publish on his website
http://hp35.wz.cz/HP-35RD.html
02-28-2019, 08:16 AM
(02-27-2019 11:46 PM)pebinord Wrote:  What does the back of an original HP-35 Red-Dot look like? Mine has no lower label; the molded-in recess is present with no sign of tampering and no sign of adhesive residue. The larger upper panel does not say "Made in USA" nor "Patent Pending" across the bottom edge. There is no serial number present, not even inside the battery compartment. Are these attributes authentic? (Given the scarcity of this version it would be very helpful to find such pics in the exhibit hall :-)

Hehe, so you are the guy that bought the last Red Dot on the bay Wink
I was told that there exists two diffrent back labels, on with and one without the "Made in USA" and the "Patend Pending". Why I did not bought the Red Dot? There is no serial. This is not a signs of authenticity, but it reduces the price in my opinion as you can not easily glue another serial on that calculator. I guess, the Red Dot is a real one as I never saw faked one....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2019, 04:30 PM
The link to Michael Eckstein's site really helped alot! Many thanks for that!

No, I had no interest in the most recent example on the 'Bay -- but I did scrutinize it closely while trying to confirm the authenticity of mine. I'm clearly no expert but that one strikes me as suspicious. Obviously it has the right ROM but my gut tells me it's a mash-up of various parts. The adapter socket looks like the later style (was this style ever used on original V1s? Was it introduced on the V2?). The main label on the back may be a replacement ("Hewlett Packard" across the top) especially if the back is from a later version -- which would involve removing screws, hence the need to replace the label. The serial number label looks like it may have been peeled from another unit; can't make out the number to tell if it's in the right range.

Anyway, my HP-35BBRD can be added to the known list. Too bad it doesn't have its serial number :-(

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)