DM42 vs DM41x vs DM43
01-15-2020, 11:03 AM
DM42 vs DM41x vs DM43
Even being a long-term RPL models user, i like also using RPN with my 35s for daily simple calculations.
I think the 35s has some nice features (solver, a few built-in uom conversions, plenty of memory, decent keyboard and good overall construcion)
Anyway, I miss some 48/50 features that i would like to have in any calculator: named variables, capability to save/load programs to pc, good display, customizable keyboard.

I am looking into Swissmicros product and find the DM42 a good compromise which could fit well as a 35s substitute, but the raise of DM43 and DM41x added more choice.

The DM42 firmware is continuosly improved by mr.Okken effort and in perspective more features might (i hope so) be added to Free42/DM42,like for example the embedding of the UOM conversion program made available by a forum member, a more friendly way to use the solver, etc.
The DM41x, correct me if i am wrong, is more or less a 41cx in a nice dress and with some additional features, but no significative improvement respect to 41cx functionality should be expected in future.
The DM43 seems to me a calculator for real hardcore RPN users: quite amazing, but too complex and too math people oriented for a chemical engineer and still in progress.

As all three calculators share more or less the same hardware, should i wait for the release of the DM41x or get now a DM42 and in case flash the definitive DM43 firmware?

Thank you
Marco
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2020, 11:24 AM
RE: DM42 vs DM41x vs DM43
Marco.

I may be wrong but I believe the DM41X will not only include the basic functionalities of a HP41CX, but also the ability to access all the existing 41C ROM modules. Of course all of them will connect to a PC to download/store programs and data.

In my opinion the DM42 is the best alterntive for an everyday user, the DM41X will appeal to those interested in exploring/exploting the capabilities of the 41C ecosystem and the (not yet available) DM43S will greatly expand the capabilities of existing calculators, providing numerous specialized capabilities.

Nevertheless I plan on owning the three of them... Wink

11C 12C 15C 17BII 18C 19BII 21 25 27S 28S 32E 32S 32SII 33C 33S 34S 35S 38C 39gs 39GII 40gs 41C 41CV 41CX 42S 45 48G+ 48GII 49G 49G+ 50 67 71B 97
01-15-2020, 05:48 PM
(01-15-2020 11:24 AM)Moggul Wrote:  Nevertheless I plan on owning the three of them... Wink

I probably will also, not because I need them, but because I can.
01-15-2020, 07:01 PM
(01-15-2020 11:24 AM)Moggul Wrote:  Nevertheless I plan on owning the three of them... Wink

Of course! One of the nice things about SwissMicros is that their calculators are moderately priced for the functionality and quality you get. I already have two DM42s (a beta unit and a shipping unit) and will probably get a DM43. I had a DM41L (landscape) but for some reason it never clicked with me. For me the advantage of the HP 41 series was the connectivity to mag card readers, tape drives, floppy drives, printers, all sorts of lab equipment. The SM units don't have that so I see no advantage to owning what amounts to a crippled clone. For those who like the 41L and 41X, vi saluto tutti. They're just not for me.

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-15-2020, 08:56 PM
(01-15-2020 07:01 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  For those who like the 41L and 41X, vi saluto tutti. They're just not for me.

Fine! More for us! :D

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2020, 10:36 PM
(01-15-2020 11:03 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  The DM42 firmware is continuosly improved by mr.Okken effort and in perspective more features might (i hope so) be added to Free42/DM42,like for example the embedding of the UOM conversion program made available by a forum member, a more friendly way to use the solver, etc.

Thomas Okken has stated that he is not going to add any features to the FREE42.

Quote:The DM41x, correct me if i am wrong, is more or less a 41cx in a nice dress and with some additional features, but no significative improvement respect to 41cx functionality should be expected in future.

There is a lot of additional modules for the 41 available, and Angel Martin is always working on some more

Quote:The DM43 seems to me a calculator for real hardcore RPN users: quite amazing, but too complex and too math people oriented for a chemical engineer and still in progress.

As all three calculators share more or less the same hardware, should i wait for the release of the DM41x or get now a DM42 and in case flash the definitive DM43 firmware?

I don't think it's a good idea to buy a DM42 now and reflash it later as a WP43S because the keyboard layout is completely different. Maybe a faceplate for the WP43C will become available, but who knows...

Günter
01-16-2020, 09:13 AM
(01-15-2020 10:36 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Thomas Okken has stated that he is not going to add any features to the FREE42.

There is a lot of additional modules for the 41 available, and Angel Martin is always working on some more

I don't think it's a good idea to buy a DM42 now and reflash it later as a WP43S because the keyboard layout is completely different. Maybe a faceplate for the WP43C will become available, but who knows...

So we will not enjoy the DM42 screen on Free42. I was hoping for a "convergence" between DM42 and Free42.
Sad enough, considering that i have total consistency using real 48/50 and emulated ones on pc and android platforms.

I went across HP41 manual and i found that there are no named variables, only registers. I suppose the same will be in DM41x. This is limiting in my way of using the calculator.

I follow the threads relevant to WP43S/C on Swissmicros forum and i tend to appreciate a lot the "C" branch.

Still thinking about DM42......
01-16-2020, 05:32 PM
(01-16-2020 09:13 AM)Marco Polo Wrote:  So we will not enjoy the DM42 screen on Free42. I was hoping for a "convergence" between DM42 and Free42.

If porting Free42 to Qt works out well, adding big-screen support isn't completely out of the question, but even if so (and it is a big if!), it wouldn't be exactly like on the DM42.

As for some of the other features that have been requested for Free42 over the years but never implemented: the big ones are equations and units, and both of those would require huge changes to the Free42 core. In a nutshell, that core was designed specifically to support the HP-42S environment, and the type system and interactive I/O logic are very much geared towards that requirement, and would basically have to be rewritten.

I was able to fit a few useful extensions into the existing design, i.e. Step Over / Step Out, LSTO, the big RTN stack, and the BASE enhancements, but anything beyond that quickly gets into the territory where the current programming model becomes too limiting and you'll need something like RPL. And that is something that others have already done, or are already doing, quite well. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2020, 05:54 AM
Having checked out the latest version of the 43S manuals (v. 14, I believe) via the SwissMicros Forum site, all I can say is that the 43S looks like it could be an absolutely amazing piece of kit. This is not to say the others aren’t (money no object, one of each would be nice, but I suspect there might be some spousal pushback on that count...!)
01-17-2020, 07:44 AM
(01-17-2020 05:54 AM)JimP Wrote:  ...I suspect there might be some spousal pushback on that count...!)

I order them while she's in the kitchen making me a sandwich! Big Grin

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-17-2020, 09:12 AM
(01-16-2020 05:32 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  If porting Free42 to Qt works out well, adding big-screen support isn't completely out of the question, but even if so (and it is a big if!), it wouldn't be exactly like on the DM42.

First of all, thank you for your efforts and for making available and mantain that little jewel named Free42.

This is a good new (even if is a big IF, is not a big NOT): in my opinion the 2-lines display of the 42s is a limiting factor compared to the capabilities of the calculator

Quote:As for some of the other features that have been requested for Free42 over the years but never implemented: the big ones are equations and units, and both of those would require huge changes to the Free42 core. In a nutshell, that core was designed specifically to support the HP-42S environment, and the type system and interactive I/O logic are very much geared towards that requirement, and would basically have to be rewritten.

I see your point.
As a matter of fact the integrated solver might be even better than an equation solver, as it is basically a "program solver". Or at least this is what i have understood.
Anyway, but i am not a programmer so i might be wrong, it could be possible to integrate the UOM program presented here (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/post-90235.html) as it relies upon standard 42S features.

Quote:I was able to fit a few useful extensions into the existing design, i.e. Step Over / Step Out, LSTO, the big RTN stack, and the BASE enhancements, but anything beyond that quickly gets into the territory where the current programming model becomes too limiting and you'll need something like RPL. And that is something that others have already done, or are already doing, quite well. Smile

Well...i truly love the flexibility and coherence of RPL

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)