Micro Space PCX48 computer
03-20-2019, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2019 10:02 AM by Graan.)
Micro Space PCX48 computer
Hello

Got hold of this computer from an older linear accelerator. This computer managed a display for parameters.

I did som search and found its a rugged fanless computer w an Intel Celeron M processor. Its designed for In-Vehicle use. It runs DOS 6.2 from a CF Card. I installed Norton 5 and QuickBasic 4.5 so now I can use it for some projects.
Probably its possible to run some windows version.

Was not easy to create a bootable CF card with DOS. I tried to use some utilities to create a bootable dos disk but it did not work in the computer. Finally I did a low level copy, sector by sector, of the original CF card with a program called HDDRawCopy and it worked.

Micro Space PCX48
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2019, 12:55 PM
RE: Micro Space PCX48 computer
I have a small system like that based on a via mini-itx 500MHz system. I put Linux on a Cf card and ran mpg123 for a in car music player around 2001-2002
03-20-2019, 01:49 PM
Interesting. How did you install the Linux system? Via CD to the CF Card?
What was the size of the card?
/Andreas
03-20-2019, 02:38 PM
128M

My old board won't boot from USB so I had to install from CD. I installed just the 'A' set of Slackware.
03-20-2019, 08:11 PM
(03-20-2019 09:59 AM)Graan Wrote:  Was not easy to create a bootable CF card with DOS. I tried to use some utilities to create a bootable dos disk but it did not work in the computer. Finally I did a low level copy, sector by sector, of the original CF card with a program called HDDRawCopy and it worked.

Micro Space PCX48

I use the HP Tool HPUSBFW.EXE which can be run on any windows machine, including 7 to 10. The tool is called:
HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool V2.1.8

Run it as an Administrator, then select the USB Flash Stick (which can be a CF to USB adapter), Select Create DOS Startup Disk. Then Select "Using Dos System Files Located at". You can place the DOS system Files in a directory and then just point to that directory. Or Point to a DOS Disk or Bootable DOS CDROM.

It'll then format the USB Stick and copy the system files to it. Fast and easy. So far it has worked on every type of USB I have tried it on.

Just do a search for "HPUSBFW.EXE". I think HP had furnished this tool with their BIOS upgrade so that you could create a bootable USB to perform the BIOS upgrade with.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
03-22-2019, 01:00 PM
I used HPUSBDisk.exe
I could select files and make a DOS disc, but the system did not boot.

/Andreas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)