HP 25 game in old magazine?
03-26-2019, 03:20 AM
HP 25 game in old magazine?
I used to have several HP 25 games that I had photocopied out of a magazine way back when, but those copies have long been lost, and I had no recollection of which magazine they came from. I was therefore very pleased to find one of the games "reprinted" here (http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4710.html), not just because it was my favorite of the bunch, but because it listed the original publication: Popular Electronics, June 1977.
So I headed to the library to re-assemble my lost games. The microfiche of that issue of PE yielded five games, but I realized that one game I was expecting was not there. I will describe what I remember of it and hope that someone reading this will recognize it and perhaps even provide a source.

The game was set in the wilderness, with areas of different terrain (jungle? swamp?). There was a printed map consisting of numbered circles connected by lines indicating the allowed paths between them. You had to make your way along the paths and avoid the calculator-controlled tiger that was stalking you.

That's what I remember. I'm pretty sure it was published in a magazine in the late 1970s. Does it ring any bells? Let me know!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2019, 04:29 AM
RE: HP 25 game in old magazine?
Hi,

(03-26-2019 03:20 AM)mpark Wrote:  The game was set in the wilderness, with areas of different terrain (jungle? swamp?). There was a printed map consisting of numbered circles connected by lines indicating the allowed paths between them. You had to make your way along the paths and avoid the calculator-controlled tiger that was stalking you.

Sorry, I can't help you locate that HP-25 program but the description of the game reminds me a lot of this one. I programmed it in my HP calculator back then and it's more of a puzzle than a game because the calculator-controlled opponent, "The Britisher" (your "tiger") can always win by catching you no matter what path you take.

Yet, it was fun to have friends play it to try and avoid being captured, quite addictive ! Smile

Amusements in Mathematics - Puzzle 395: A war puzzle game

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-26-2019, 12:35 PM
RE: HP 25 game in old magazine?
Note the full Popular Electronics article is available here:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-12223.html

The specific game you're seeking isn't there, but there are 5-6 others to spend some time until you find it.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)