Calculator restarts randomly
04-01-2019, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2019 03:36 PM by fakuivan.)
Calculator restarts randomly
I've had this happen a few times already, where the calculator would enter some sort of demo mode where, essentially a video plays showing off it's features, although this only lasts 2 seconds at most. I wouldn't have much problem with it except for the fact that it reverts the calculator to the state it was before the last shutdown, essentially deleting the history and variable changes for that session. I use this calculator for exams, it scares me to think that this could happen in the middle of an exam, making me loose 15-20 minutes of calculations.

Is there some combination of keys to activate this mode? I was not able to find a pattern between the several times this happened. Has anyone had this happen before?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2019, 11:20 PM
RE: Calculator enters "Demo mode" randomly
I was pressing the ``On + Symb`` keys, that resets the calculator. Silly me
04-07-2019, 01:42 PM
RE: Calculator enters "Demo mode" randomly
I can say my calculator reboots randomly now. I'm aware that the key combo I mentioned restarts the calculator, and I hold the calculator in a way I can't press them accidentally. Today it happened without me pressing any keys, three consecutive times... Are there any reports on this being a common issue?
I bought this calculator overseas so I don't think I can expect official support/warranty from HP. My options are limited.
04-08-2019, 05:46 PM
RE: Calculator restarts randomly
I had been having an issue similar to yours for several months, ever since the latest firmware update. In my case, the calculator would occasionally randomly reset after a keypress, or within 1-2 seconds of a keypress. Like with your case, all data entered since the last shutdown would be lost.

My work-around was to turn off the calculator after obtaining my result so that data would not be lost, but this was not perfect and a bit of a hassle.

Here is a post I made in another thread about the issue I was having.

Now, since then, I've made some changes to the settings in the calculator and the issue seems to have gone away, with no resets in the last few months. Regretfully, I have not figured out which exact setting or combination of settings it was but I think it has something to do with the complex number or i settings in either Home or CAS mode.

Currently I have "Complex" and "Use i" disabled in CAS, and "Complex: a+b*i" with the adjacent box checked in Home.

I hope you find a resolution to your issue.
04-09-2019, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2019 08:38 PM by Lode.)
What firmware version do you have? Did you upgrade to the latest version?
04-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Transcribed from the "F-C-O-On" mode

Code:
    EA656 Version info
DATA Version : V0.048.635
OS Version : V0.050.640
Released Version : V1.21
PCB Version : 03
Touch IC FW Ver : 4160

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)