Entering Special Chacaters
05-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Entering Special Chacaters
When Programming in HPPPL using the Connectivity Kit with the Prime connected I encountered a problem locating special characters on the Keyboard of the PC. These are the “Shift 6” logical operators on the Prime. How does one enter on the PC Keyboard “≠” does not equal? I thought if I entered it using the prime and hit save on the connectivity kit it would sync and update the connectivity kit text. Apparently it doesn’t work that way. Is there a way to save from the Prime to the connectivity kit? In general is there a translation table to enter special symbols? I think I have missed something in the operational use & integration of the Prime, the Connectivity Kit and The Virtual Prime to use them effectively to ease entering and editing programs.

Thanks,
minus1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 11:24 PM
RE: Entering Special Chacaters
Hi minus1, I'm just taking a guess here hopefully someone else will be able to give you more relyable information - but a youtube video I watched discussing the Prime internals mentioned that it stores any text using 16 bit unicode of one format or another so I would try entering (U+2260) 'NOT EQUAL TO' symbol using the windows keyboard mapper.
good luck!
05-10-2014, 04:29 PM
(05-09-2014 10:50 PM)minus1 Wrote:  When Programming in HPPPL using the Connectivity Kit with the Prime connected I encountered a problem locating special characters on the Keyboard of the PC. These are the “Shift 6” logical operators on the Prime. How does one enter on the PC Keyboard “≠” does not equal? I thought if I entered it using the prime and hit save on the connectivity kit it would sync and update the connectivity kit text. Apparently it doesn’t work that way. Is there a way to save from the Prime to the connectivity kit? In general is there a translation table to enter special symbols? I think I have missed something in the operational use & integration of the Prime, the Connectivity Kit and The Virtual Prime to use them effectively to ease entering and editing programs.

Thanks,
minus1

I know at least two ways to do it:

a) Use "<>" (two key combination to form the inequality logical operator) instead of trying to find the “≠” symbol (see page 381 of the official HP-Prime user guide - HP-PRIME User Guide July-2013 - Phase 2 c04120022);

b) Or use your Software calculator, type the special symbols there inside a program, then copy then to notepad for later usage.
Or better than that, write the programs in the software calculator and they will appear available in the Connectivity kit (You may need to close the software calculator and run it again, before you can see the new programs listed in the Connectivity kit).
Then you can transfer the programs to the physical calculator from the Connectivity kit.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-10-2014, 10:23 PM
jebem

Thanks for your reply. I find it easy to just use the <> for the does not equal operator. I am not able to copy from the VC screen to the CK using traditional clipboard operations (copy paste).

Thanks,
minus1

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)