Quick Facts

Model: Electric Slide Rule, 801.58771
Company: Sears
Production Years: 1974 - mid 1970s
Power: Battery, originally AA chargeable NiCad*
Type: Scientific
Operating System: Chain
Memory Registers: 1
Display: One line: 8 digits, 2 lights: one for overflow (error), one for negative numbers
Same Key Set as: Rockwell 61R

* I purchased this calculator at the Pasadena City College Swap Meet on July 2, 2023. The calculator is in great condition, along with a great leather case and instruction manual. The calculator was re-configured to run on 4 regular AA batteries, to that I'm very grateful.

Unusual: Data Recovery, Clear Functions, Negative Number Indicator

DR: Data Recovery function is activated the key sequence [ f ] [ f ] (not a typo, DR is the shifted function of [ f ]). What this does is two-fold:

1. Erase the last number entered.
2. Activate the intended shifted function without having the need to press [ f ] again.

Example: e^4

[ 4 ] [ 4 ]: Display: 44
[ f ] [ f ]: Erases the last 4, Display: 4
[ 4 ]: Calculates e^4, Display: 54.59814

CF: Clear Function. Cancels out the shifted function [ f ].

Example: 12 + 89

[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ + ]
[ f ]: next key pressed will be a shifted function
[ c ce ] (cf): cancels out that shifted function
[ 8 ] [ 8 ] [ = ]: Display: 100

There are two switches: Power (On/Off) on the left, and Angle mode (Degrees/Radians) on the right.

Negative Numbers

There was no room on the display for a negative sign (apparently), instead negative numbers are indicated by a bright red light on the upper right hand of the display, next to the clear Neg imprint on the screen.

I would prefer the negative sign on the display, to the left of the number.

Chain Mode

The Slide Rule operates in chain mode, which is the calculations happen exactly the way they are entered, with no respect to the order of operations. Note that there are no parenthesis keys.

For example:

4 + 3 × 8 returns 56

3 × 8 + 4 returns 28

The Slide Rule operates in chain mode, which is the calculations happen exactly the way they are entered, with no respect to the order of operations. Note that there are no parenthesis keys.

For example:

4 + 3 × 8 returns 56

3 × 8 + 4 returns 28

Powers

Assume that n is a positive integer.

a^n can be accomplished by entering a, repeatedly pressing [ × ] n-1 times, finishing by pressing [ = ].

7^5: 7 [ × ] [ × ] [ × ] [ × ] [ = ]. Result: 16807
[ × ] four times.

1/(a^n) can be accomplished by entering a, repeatedly pressing [ ÷ ] n+1 times, finish by pressing [ = ].

4^-3:
4 [ ÷ ]: Display: 4
[ ÷ ]: Display: 1 (4^0 = 1)
[ ÷ ]: Display: 0.25 (4^-1 = 1/4)
[ ÷ ]: Display : 0.0625 (4^-2 = 1/16)
[ = ]: Display: 0.015625 (4^-3 = 1/64)

The power function x^y operates on the formula e^(y × ln x). This may lead to rounding errors.

Example:

2^3 = 8.

2 [ × ] [ × ] [ = ] returns 8. The exact answer.
2 [ f ] [ 6 ] (x^y) 3 [ = ] returns 7.999993

Floating Point Rounding Errors

One drawback of the Electronic Slide rule is the rounding floating point errors.

70 [ f ] [ ÷ ] (1/x) returns 0.0142857
Press [ f ] [ ÷ ] (1/x) again returns 70.00007

0.5 [ f ] [ 0 ] (arc) [ 2 ] (cos) returns 59.99999 degrees (it should be 60 degrees)

The forensic test returns 10.4382 (9 sin cos tan arctan arccos arcsin).

I think the calculator can handle numbers to what the display capacity allows. There is no internal guard digits to help with accuracy.

Final Thoughts

I like the feel of the calculator and the large screen with the large green numbers. The keys are pretty responsive, especially back in the day when it comes to lower-cost calculators in the 1970s (around $100).

I am not the biggest fan of the negative number indicator, the Rockwell 61R has a negative sign. Not a deal breaker, though. The good thing is that red indicator light is bright.

The Slide Rule is great for fans of Chain Mode (non-algebraic mode).

If you buy one be sure that: the charging cord and rechargeable batteries are included and in good working order or the calculator is modified to work on regular AA batteries.

I like how the manual goes in depth with the operations and its library of applications.

Sources:

Download the manual from Katie Wasserman's Page:

Sears Electronic Slide Rule:
https://www.wass.net/manuals/Sears%20Slide%20Rule.pdf

Rockwell 61R:
https://www.wass.net/manuals/Rockwell%2061R.pdf

calculator.org's page on the Sears Electronic Slide Rule (retrieved July 2, 2023):
https://www.calculator.org/calculators/S..._Rule.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2023, 04:02 AM
RE: Slide Electronic Slide Rule
Very coolSmile
This appears to be the same model made by Lloyds.

07-04-2023, 05:33 AM
Looks like the Lloyd also has the red(?) circle for negative numbers.
07-04-2023, 06:17 AM
Yes I hadn’t notice the Error and Minus LEDs in the picture. At least they are honest about the accuracy on th Lloyds box. “Performs all functions of a log-log slide rule with 6-digit accuracy”.

07-04-2023, 11:46 AM
(07-04-2023 06:17 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Yes I hadn’t notice the Error and Minus LEDs in the picture. At least they are honest about the accuracy on th Lloyds box. “Performs all functions of a log-log slide rule with 6-digit accuracy”.

While six-digit accuracy may not seem very good today, those of us who used slip sticks (slide rules) were satisfied with three significant figures so this calculator was a godsend.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)