05-20-2019, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2020 09:20 PM by Serpenteagle.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2019, 12:31 PM
RE: How to Disable CAS Completely on HP Prime?
There is the examination mode, what's cooler than that ? Wink
Teachers can easily disable the CAS or any specific apps, including creating custom configurations.
The system is password protected.
Best,

Aries Smile
05-20-2019, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2019 01:29 PM by Dave Britten.)
If you have to bite the bullet and buy an alternative calculator for this class, head over to ebay and buy a cheap Casio fx-9860G (any version; the Slim is very nice, but the OS 2.0 upgrade for that model isn't as readily available). The Casio will do matrix dimensions up to 999 vs. only 99 on the TI-84, and it can also do vectors (fx-9860GII only) and complex matrices. You shouldn't have to spend more than $40.

Alternatively, an old TI-85 for ~$20 will give you pretty good matrix and vector functionality.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2019, 01:32 PM
Short answer, no.

If they won't let you do the exam mode for an exam, SOL. Professor wants to keep teaching the same way they have taught for 20 years...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Had to check urban dictionary for SOL translation.
Wow!! Really?
05-20-2019, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2019 03:50 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Flashing the firmware to disable the CAS is not the answer you are seeking...
That would be less controlled than the exam mode.
Think about what the Prof would do if he looks at the documentation one day (perhaps the day before the exam) and reads that it can do CAS! Zero marks for any coursework, and no calculator for the exam - or one that you are then unfamiliar with.
Do not break the rules unless you will be happy with the consequences.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
05-20-2019, 05:10 PM
(05-20-2019 11:06 AM)Serpenteagle Wrote:  ... my instructor will not allow CAS enabled calculators. I told him about exam mode but is not willing to accept...

So instead of your teacher being proud of one of his students using the best calculator on the planet, he will rather forbid you to use that calculator? Even if that calculator can adapt to his requirements? Shame on you, professor!

[When I studied math at university, I got the best possible grade and to this day I think one of the main reasons was to own and use the TI-58C (it was the mid-1980s and I was only one in class with such capable calculator). Because who else would buy such calculator other than the one who enjoy math?]

Prime, 15C CE
05-22-2019, 08:35 PM
(05-22-2019 08:10 PM)Serpenteagle Wrote:  Sorry for the late reply, sorta forgot about it!

I went ahead and purchased a CASIO PRIZM fx-CG10 on ebay for a super low price. Decided that trying to fool the instructor by taping off the CAS button on the prime was a bad idea haha.

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions!

An excellent choice. The Prizm is a very worthy competitor to the TI-84, and surpasses it in many ways. You can grab the latest OS update here:

http://edu.casio.com/download/index.php
05-22-2019, 09:23 PM
(05-22-2019 08:35 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(05-22-2019 08:10 PM)Serpenteagle Wrote:  Sorry for the late reply, sorta forgot about it!

I went ahead and purchased a CASIO PRIZM fx-CG10 on ebay for a super low price. Decided that trying to fool the instructor by taping off the CAS button on the prime was a bad idea haha.

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions!

An excellent choice. The Prizm is a very worthy competitor to the TI-84, and surpasses it in many ways. You can grab the latest OS update here:

http://edu.casio.com/download/index.php

You can also put KhiCAS on it to be super sneaky. Smile

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)