HP-71B & PILBox & Remote Terminal
06-16-2023, 12:10 PM
RE: HP-71B & PILBox & Remote Terminal
Hi, just wondering if you/anyone worked out which HP 75 LEX has KEYBOARD IS in it as I haven't found it yet?

Thanks, dmh

(11-26-2020 07:58 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  For the auto assign LEX, try this one, found in the CHHU03 volume:

140. AUTOASN LEX 75 512 bytes 383 2 00/01/19 13:10

I have not tried it, but it appears to be a likely candidate. No idea if this includes the KEYBOARD IS keyword, but 512 bytes appears large enough to include more than a single Fn.

The HELP LEX file (about 2/3 the way down the article) is the go-to tool to see which keywords are in a given LEX file, described in this helpful thread:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...read=76286

The HELP LEX file can be found in the OLDP SWAP/HPCC88 volume.

While searching for and verifying LEX files, etc. it is quite handy to use JFG's emu75/DOS (run on DOSBox) together with ILPer (via ILPilBox virtual connector). It takes a fair amount of fiddling to get it all setup initially, but once working, it's dead reliable and involves a lot less thrashing.

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2023, 01:48 AM
(06-16-2023 12:10 PM)dmh Wrote:  Hi, just wondering if you/anyone worked out which HP 75 LEX has KEYBOARD IS in it as I haven't found it yet?

Thanks, dmh

(11-26-2020 07:58 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  For the auto assign LEX, try this one, found in the CHHU03 volume:

140. AUTOASN LEX 75 512 bytes 383 2 00/01/19 13:10

I have not tried it, but it appears to be a likely candidate. No idea if this includes the KEYBOARD IS keyword, but 512 bytes appears large enough to include more than a single Fn.

The HELP LEX file (about 2/3 the way down the article) is the go-to tool to see which keywords are in a given LEX file, described in this helpful thread:

While searching for and verifying LEX files, etc. it is quite handy to use JFG's emu75/DOS (run on DOSBox) together with ILPer (via ILPilBox virtual connector). It takes a fair amount of fiddling to get it all setup initially, but once working, it's dead reliable and involves a lot less thrashing.

Since posting that, I was told there is no KEYBOARD IS available for the HP-75 as the HP-IL support built-in does not provide the needed, apparently low-level, features to implement that. I am not 100% sure this is the case, but it is consistent with the 71B coming later and having the most powerful HP-IL implementation among the calculator models, and that no one has reported finding it.

But I would love to be wrong about this....

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
06-18-2023, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2023 03:19 PM by J-F Garnier.)
(11-26-2020 07:58 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The HELP LEX file (about 2/3 the way down the article) is the go-to tool to see which keywords are in a given LEX file, described in this helpful thread:

(06-17-2023 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-16-2023 12:10 PM)dmh Wrote:  Hi, just wondering if you/anyone worked out which HP 75 LEX has KEYBOARD IS in it as I haven't found it yet?

Since posting that, I was told there is no KEYBOARD IS available for the HP-75 as the HP-IL support built-in does not provide the needed, apparently low-level, features to implement that. I am not 100% sure this is the case, but it is consistent with the 71B coming later and having the most powerful HP-IL implementation among the calculator models, and that no one has reported finding it.

There is no known stand-alone KEYBOARD LEX for the HP-75, but the KEYBOARD IS statement is present in the I/O ROM.

As I was checking, I noticed that it's no more possible to browse Joe's OnLine Disk Project collection on hhuc.us/2014.
Individual files can be accessed for instance: HELPDOC75.txt
but not the root folder or any sub-folders: hhuc.us/2014/files/Speakers/08,09%20Joseph%20Horn/Online%20LIF%20Disk%20Project

The collection can still be found on Joe's site: https://holyjoe.net/HP71/Online-LIF-Disk-Project.zip
but it was very convenient to be able to browse it on-line.

J-F
06-18-2023, 08:03 PM
(06-18-2023 03:15 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(06-17-2023 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Since posting that, I was told there is no KEYBOARD IS available for the HP-75 as the HP-IL support built-in does not provide the needed, apparently low-level, features to implement that. I am not 100% sure this is the case, but it is consistent with the 71B coming later and having the most powerful HP-IL implementation among the calculator models, and that no one has reported finding it.

There is no known stand-alone KEYBOARD LEX for the HP-75, but the KEYBOARD IS statement is present in the I/O ROM.

Excellent news, I was wrong. And only yesterday I believe I told Sylvain that this is not in the I/O ROM... <sigh>

(06-18-2023 03:15 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  As I was checking, I noticed that it's no more possible to browse Joe's OnLine Disk Project collection on hhuc.us/2014.
but not the root folder or any sub-folders: hhuc.us/2014/files/Speakers/08,09%20Joseph%20Horn/Online%20LIF%20Disk%20Project

The collection can still be found on Joe's site: https://holyjoe.net/HP71/Online-LIF-Disk-Project.zip

J-F

The HHC website was recently moved to a new server, and this is apparently a side-effect of that move. I'll look into it with the folks involved and see if it can be easily restored.

--Bob Prosperi
06-19-2023, 02:50 AM
Thanks. So I assume this means I need a physical ROM to run on a real 75?

Is there a LEX version of the I/O ROM so I can load into memory?

If not, would it be feasible to create one from the source (for just KEYBOARD IS, say)?

(06-18-2023 03:15 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(11-26-2020 07:58 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The HELP LEX file (about 2/3 the way down the article) is the go-to tool to see which keywords are in a given LEX file, described in this helpful thread:

(06-17-2023 01:48 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Since posting that, I was told there is no KEYBOARD IS available for the HP-75 as the HP-IL support built-in does not provide the needed, apparently low-level, features to implement that. I am not 100% sure this is the case, but it is consistent with the 71B coming later and having the most powerful HP-IL implementation among the calculator models, and that no one has reported finding it.

As I was checking, I noticed that it's no more possible to browse Joe's OnLine Disk Project collection on hhuc.us/2014.

J-F

06-19-2023, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2023 04:39 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
(06-19-2023 02:50 AM)dmh Wrote:  Thanks. So I assume this means I need a physical ROM to run on a real 75?
Yep!

(06-19-2023 02:50 AM)dmh Wrote:  Is there a LEX version of the I/O ROM so I can load into memory?
(06-18-2023 03:15 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  There is no known stand-alone KEYBOARD LEX for the HP-75 ...
If Jean-François says there is none, ... there is none.

(06-19-2023 02:50 AM)dmh Wrote:  If not, would it be feasible to create one from the source (for just KEYBOARD IS, say)?
The source code of the I/O ROM is available on HP-75 groups.io forum
Under: Hp75/Files/75 Application (plug-in) ROMs and DEVICES/00075-15001 IO ROM/...
06-19-2023, 05:00 AM
Oh, ok. I read that as there is no LEX file JUST containing KEYBOARD IS so wondered if there was something else/similar with it and other things.

I'll have a look at the source code and the assembler :-)

Thanks!

(06-19-2023 04:35 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(06-19-2023 02:50 AM)dmh Wrote:  Is there a LEX version of the I/O ROM so I can load into memory?
If Jean-François says there is none, ... there is none.

06-19-2023, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2023 07:55 AM by J-F Garnier.)
(06-19-2023 05:00 AM)dmh Wrote:  Oh, ok. I read that as there is no LEX file JUST containing KEYBOARD IS so wondered if there was something else/similar with it and other things.

There is no such LEX in the OLDP collection, and I didn't find anything in the comprehensive LEX keyword list made by Paul Berger, available on groups.io/g/hp75 .
If you have some interest in the HP-75, I can advise to join the group. The last 75 experts are there (we are not so many).

Quote:I'll have a look at the source code and the assembler :-)

Creating a KEYBOARD LEX has already been considered (here), but be aware that converting a ROM-based LEX to RAM requires some work (and knowledge).

J-F
06-19-2023, 08:19 AM
Thank you for clarifying.

I did wonder about the conversion process so thanks for that too. If you have any other pointers or tips they would be appreciated (I'm looking at the NOMAS LEX section).

I'll look at some examples first and go from there.

(06-19-2023 07:54 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(06-19-2023 05:00 AM)dmh Wrote:  Oh, ok. I read that as there is no LEX file JUST containing KEYBOARD IS so wondered if there was something else/similar with it and other things.

There is no such LEX in the OLDP collection, and I didn't find anything in the comprehensive LEX keyword list made by Paul Berger, available on groups.io/g/hp75 .
If you have some interest in the HP-75, I can advise to join the group. The last 75 experts are there (we are not so many).

Quote:I'll have a look at the source code and the assembler :-)

Creating a KEYBOARD LEX has already been considered (here), but be aware that converting a ROM-based LEX to RAM requires some work (and knowledge).

J-F

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)