TI-59 faster than TI-58C ?
06-26-2019, 09:29 PM
TI-59 faster than TI-58C ?
I am currently in the process of restoring a TI-58C to proper operating condition. I'm not certain if "restoring" is the proper term - I have a small variety of 58Cs, a battery, and an AC adapter inbound from TAS, and I intend to cobble together bits from the different 58Cs to end up with a working unit. This will bring me back to my first programmable calculator.

IIRC, there was a topic here sometime in the last several months that spoke about various calculators and their processing speeds. Perhaps it was a benchmark topic - I cannot remember. Within that topic, someone posted that the TI-59 was something like twice as fast as the TI-58C (or maybe the plain TI-58), and he posted times proving the point.

First, I have not been able to find that topic. If anyone here remembers that topic and can point me to it, I would appreciate that.

Second, in my research, I've come across TI-59 service documentation that speaks about a variable clock in the 59. It appears that when the 59 is idle (however that is determined) the clock speed divides by 4 in order to stay alive, but conserve power. When there is any user input, the clock jumps back up to full speed.

Can anyone say if this is the source of the speed difference between the 58C and the 59? I know the 58C had half the memory than the 59 did for program steps/data registers, hence somewhat differing electronics, and the Constant Memory also contributed differences in the electronics. Could it be that the Constant Memory could not do the variable clock, so the 58C ended up with a half-speed clock that did not vary like the 59?

Thanks for listening, and thanks in advance for any information or pointers you may have to offer.

smp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2019, 11:15 PM
RE: TI-59 faster than TI-58C ?
Hmmm. Are you not familiar with the forum's Search function? When I search for 58C, the thread you're referring to is the third result from the top. (It often helps to search by post and not by thread, so the results you're looking for don't get lost in the noise, but in this case it doesn't make much of a difference.)

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/post-1142...#pid114277
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-27-2019, 01:45 AM
RE: TI-59 faster than TI-58C ?
(06-26-2019 11:15 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Hmmm. Are you not familiar with the forum's Search function? When I search for 58C, the thread you're referring to is the third result from the top. (It often helps to search by post and not by thread, so the results you're looking for don't get lost in the noise, but in this case it doesn't make much of a difference.)

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/post-1142...#pid114277

Thanks very much, Thomas. Much appreciated.

smp
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)