HP41 Card Reader bug in conjunction with X-Memory
08-02-2019, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2019 07:14 PM by Giuseppe Donnini.)
RE: HP41 Card Reader bug in conjunction with X-Memory
(08-01-2019 06:07 AM)hth Wrote:  I have written it off, it was four years ago. I just wanted to give a small warning to anyone that consider ordering it.

(08-01-2019 03:31 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  I don't recall you telling about this at the time.....I would have offered an alternative right away. It is disconcerting to learn this years later, and your warning now seems to imply that you were somehow cheated. This is disappointing.

We can't let this pass unchallenged! Personally, I found Jake to be one of the kindest, most honest and helpful people in the entire HP calculator community. There cannot be the slightest doubt that he would have offered you a solution, had you simply taken the time to ask him. It would be a glaring injustice if there remained the slightest doubt about Jake's integrity and his truly outstanding PPC project.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2019, 01:39 PM
(08-02-2019 11:52 AM)Giuseppe Donnini Wrote:  
(08-01-2019 06:07 AM)hth Wrote:  I have written it off, it was four years ago. I just wanted to give a small warning to anyone that consider ordering it.

(08-01-2019 03:31 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  I don't recall you telling about this at the time.....I would have offered an alternative right away. It is disconcerting to learn this years later, and your warning now seems to imply that you were somehow cheated. This is disappointing.

We can't let this pass unchallenged! Personally, I found Jake to be one of the kindest, most honest and helpful people in the entire HP calculator community. There cannot be the slightest doubt that he would have offered you a solution, had you simply taken the time to ask him. It would be a glaring injustice if there remained only the slightest doubt about Jake's integrity and his truly outstanding PPC project.

Well said Giuseppe, thanks for stepping-up for Jake and saying what had to be said. I was waiting to hear from hth to understand more before commenting further, but you're right that more information isn't needed to do the right thing.

As a historian for PPC, HHC meetings and much of HP calculator history since the late 70s, Jake has devoted countless thousands of hours into conserving, preserving and publishing the information for others in this community to enjoy, and takes great pride in his video and PPC Document products, all sold at low prices. Because of that pride, he supports customer issues promptly and thoroughly, going well above and beyond expected norms to insure buyer satisfaction. If contacted, there can be no doubt Jake would have resolved the problem or refunded the price if somehow not feasible.

Hopefully, hth's intention was simply to warn other users of a similar vintage Mac that there could be media compatibility issues, and nothing more. Sometimes, comments can be taken in different ways and lead to confusion, and I hope this is just such a situation.

--Bob Prosperi
08-03-2019, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2019 02:51 AM by hth.)
The story is very simple, I ordered the DVD and it did not work on my machine. I had some communication and I thought that the filesystem support on the Mac could be an issue, so another DVD using a universal disk format was created. It did not work either. Machine spins up DVD and comes up with nothing. At this point I asked about if I could download the information over the internet, but it went without answer.

Looking at the price payed and the cost for Jake sending it, I concluded (on my side) that I used up my quota so I settled for that, hoping that some day I might encounter another machine with a DVD that could read it. It has not happened so far.

I just wanted to post a small warning, because I was at the time under the impression that it worked for everyone, not a single problem? Maybe it is only me having a Mac G5 as the sole machine with a DVD player? It does read the HP museum DVD without problems.

I have since then also concluded that I probably do not need this information much anyway. I already have the (for me) relevant PPC issues and can find out what I need by looking at the HP-41 source code (my only HP calculator interest is in the HP-41, and Forth to some degree).
08-03-2019, 03:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2019 01:29 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Håkan,
Let's solve this the easy way, I basically have unlimited space and bandwidth on my web site.
Let me contact Jake and if he agree, I will put a copy of the PPC DVD on my web site, then I will send you a private link to it, so you can download it and have your own copy.
Sylvain

edit 1: Håkan, Jake has given me his blessing so I am sending you a PM with the file link.
edit 2: Håkan has the file and it mount correctly, case closed. Smile
08-04-2019, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2019 03:31 AM by hth.)
(08-03-2019 03:44 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Håkan,
Let's solve this the easy way, I basically have unlimited space and bandwidth on my web site.
Let me contact Jake and if he agree, I will put a copy of the PPC DVD on my web site, then I will send you a private link to it, so you can download it and have your own copy.
Sylvain

edit 1: Håkan, Jake has given me his blessing so I am sending you a PM with the file link.
edit 2: Håkan has the file and it mount correctly, case closed. Smile

Thank you for all the help, Sylvain, Jake and Robert!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)