Custom Units and Menus - CST
08-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Custom Units and Menus - CST
So I use my HP48GX every few days. I have a few little custom programs to take entered variables and just plug and chug; nothing special really. The most useful feature of the 48 series, for me, is the CST menu and the myriad of custom units I've programmed into variables, categorized into subdirectories, so I can convert at will from different unit sets.

So that being said, I just picked up an HP Prime and I'm not seeing that this sort of functionality is built in, but I'm sure it could be programmed somehow. Not sure quite yet.

I found this thread, and being so new to the calculator, I'm not entirely sure how to use it.

I put all that code into one program but I'm not sure how to get it to work. Can someone provide some guidance on how to use it? Do I need to have that code in more than one Program file? Can you tell how it's used?

Thank you in advance for your help!

-Matt

Thanks!

-Matt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2019, 01:12 PM
RE: Custom Units and Menus - CST
Recently, this topic was consulted:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-13154.html

In summary, it is not possible to assign new functions to the softkeys, the alternative in HP Prime are the user keys, for its comfortable use it is advisable to have it permanently activated.

[Image: giphy.gif]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you want something more compact for a matter of personal preference, I think we have these alternatives:

1: User Key + DRAWMENU (Similar CST)
The other keys will work normally, at the cost of not being active during use, saves the position where you left off
Download:
.hpprgm  CST_Touch.hpprgm (Size: 4.28 KB / Downloads: 11)
*If you want to use the default function of the key press a second time.

2: User Key + CHOOSE
CHOOSE is like a pop-up window that cuts off the flow, you must choose or exit to continue
Download:
.hpprgm  CST_CHOOSE.hpprgm (Size: 3.01 KB / Downloads: 10)
*Don't press the user key again for strange behaviors, this has always happened when you start an interface integrated into another (possible with User Keys).

NOTE: I just noticed that simulating a new touch menu is decent thanks to the change of "User Key Definition" from 2018 01 24 (13333)

Viga C | TD | FB
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2019, 01:27 PM
To be honest I don't know if that answers my question. I am very new to the calculator.

Basically, I'll take a number, say, 45, and assign two units to it from the units menu to build what I need, say kg/m3.

So now that number is on the stack. I go to my CST menu, go to the 'Density' directory using the white softkey, and find '1_lb/ft3'. I click that and go to 'CONVERT' and now my number has been converted to the new units.

So what I'm hearing is that it's not possible to store '1_lb/ft3' in a user variable, nor have directories/subdirectories?

Also, regarding my link above, any guidance on how to use the code I linked to? It sounds like perhaps this could all be built into a custom menu in a folder somehow?

Thanks!

-Matt
08-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Hi Matt,

There is a very slick application for the Prime "Units48" that mimics the unit conversion functionality of the HP 48 (RPN environment and all). I think the link is as below, but if not, you can search the Prime Software library for "Units48". Hopefully, this will meet your needs.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/attachment.php?aid=6532

Take care & good luck, Steve
08-21-2019, 04:33 PM
Steve,

This is an excellent start! I was able to add kg, and then intuitively hit 'Shift' and then m3 to get kg/m3.

The next step would be to build in all the units I'm used to using.

One potential issue I see tho is that this appears to be its own program environment. Again, being the newbie that I am, I believe I get back to the calculator (RPN mode) by hitting the House key. When I do that, the numbers with units I've entered disappear.

How do I get those numbers with units back to the calculator so I could, for example, use them in an equation? That'st the next step for me is to figure out where the Equation Solver is in this thing. I do use that reasonably often on my GX.

Thanks!

-Matt

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)