(Casio fx-CG50) OS Ver. 3.30
09-01-2019, 11:48 AM
(Casio fx-CG50) OS Ver. 3.30
Another year, another exciting update for the fx-CG50.

Well, not that exciting.

There is a second examination mode in OS Ver. 3.30 that allows use of vectors and the 3D Graphing app. This mode is not allowed for the IB exam, and is not yet supported on the French Graph 90+E version of the calculator.

There are some minor improvements to the Python built-in app, but no major additions such as extra modules for drawing, etc.
  • Switching from non-alpha to alpha mode now also switches to lower-case alpha.
  • The OPERAT soft-key menu replaces '!' with '!='.
  • There are some useful additions to the catalog to aid program editing.

There is a minor update to the Physium app to update some atomic weights (based on 2017 IUPAC).

News sources:
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22910
https://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/forums/t...-3.30.html

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2019, 12:31 PM
RE: (Casio fx-CG50) OS Ver. 3.30
(09-01-2019 11:48 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  There is a second examination mode in OS Ver. 3.30 that allows use of vectors and the 3D Graphing app. This mode is not allowed for the IB exam, and is not yet supported on the French Graph 90+E version of the calculator.

If this machine is allowed for that exam, how is this new mode prevented to ensure it is not used? I'd imagine something more than the honor system is needed...

--Bob Prosperi
09-01-2019, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2019 06:18 PM by ijabbott.)
(09-01-2019 12:31 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-01-2019 11:48 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  There is a second examination mode in OS Ver. 3.30 that allows use of vectors and the 3D Graphing app. This mode is not allowed for the IB exam, and is not yet supported on the French Graph 90+E version of the calculator.

If this machine is allowed for that exam, how is this new mode prevented to ensure it is not used? I'd imagine something more than the honor system is needed...

The screen has a green border in examination mode 1 and a magenta border in examination mode 2.

The Graph 90+E also has an LED that lights in examination mode. I don't know if it's a multi-colour LED, but the Graph 90+E only supports examination mode 1 anyway. (If it is a single colour, they could still use a different flash pattern for exam mode 2.)

— Ian Abbott
09-01-2019, 08:47 PM
(09-01-2019 06:15 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  The screen has a green border in examination mode 1 and a magenta border in examination mode 2.

The Graph 90+E also has an LED that lights in examination mode. I don't know if it's a multi-colour LED, but the Graph 90+E only supports examination mode 1 anyway. (If it is a single colour, they could still use a different flash pattern for exam mode 2.)

Thanks, I've not seen or heard of that before. I wonder how hard it is to disable that... Is the border around the LCD, and thus disable-able without affecting the screen, or is the colored border part of the display itself? Not that anyone would ever try to cheat...

--Bob Prosperi
09-01-2019, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2019 11:00 PM by ijabbott.)
(09-01-2019 08:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-01-2019 06:15 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  The screen has a green border in examination mode 1 and a magenta border in examination mode 2.

Thanks, I've not seen or heard of that before. I wonder how hard it is to disable that... Is the border around the LCD, and thus disable-able without affecting the screen, or is the colored border part of the display itself? Not that anyone would ever try to cheat...

The border is drawn on the LCD.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=7646]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)