Using a Programable Calculator to Introduce Fundamental Concepts of Assembly Language
09-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Using a Programable Calculator to Introduce Fundamental Concepts of Assembly Language
The ABSTRACT from Using a Programmable Calculator to Introduce Fundamental Concepts of Assembly Language, H. D. Schwetman [Computer Science Department] Purdue University, CSD TR 171, December 1975, 28 pgs.

"A small, programmable calculator (HP-55) was used to introduce fundamental concepts of the structure and operation of a digital computer and of assembly language programming. This hands-on approach was used in a course offered during the Fall, 1975, semester at Purdue University. This paper describes the motivation for using such an approach, the results of a student survey, and the author's evaluation. Overall, the approach seems to have stimulated student enthusiasm and resulted in a lower than normal drop-out rate for the course."

An interesting read.

BEST!
SlideRule
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2019, 07:34 PM
RE: Using a Programable Calculator to Introduce Fundamental Concepts of Assembly ...
Thanks. I'll add the link to my "Similarity to calculator keystroke programming" sidebar in my "Assembly Language: Still Relevant Today" article on my website.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2019, 09:19 PM
RE: Using a Programable Calculator to Introduce Fundamental Concepts of Assembly Language
I've wondered recently about using programmable calculators in high school math or physics classes. Would it make sense to have the students build up a library of programs to compute common formulas etc. Most recently was with my step-son who was learning distance and midpoint formulas. Of course to my mind, you'd put these formulas into your calculator and never have to calculate them by hand again (or use the program to double check your work when the problem required an exact answer - assuming that the calculator didn't have CAS).

I have to believe this has been done already.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)