HHC2019 Was very nice
09-25-2019, 07:43 PM
HHC2019 Was very nice
I spend a wonderful few days in Reno with the members of the HHC communities. Each attendee was a special person, full of passion for calculator, programming, electronicce and sharing funny stories.

Many thanks to Bruce Horroks of London, who took me around Lake Taho in his Dodge Charger rental. I have been dreaming about riding in this car since the early seventies. My brother was actually a big fan of that car and he would take me after hours to the Dodge dealers in Beirut (my brothere studied there) and drool over that car. I was happy to see the Charger make a comeback and often dreamed of buying one. Well, Bruce was able to help me fulfill my dreams. Thanks man. Visiting Lake Taho with a group of HHC members was also very nice. It was my first visit to that lake.

I feel blessed and honored at the acolades I received at HHC2019. Te HHC committee gave me a plack for contributing to talks about various root-seeking and optimizsation algorithms for many years. Dave Ramsey saw it fit to award me TWO programming contest certificates--one for a classical RPN implementation and one for being the only contestant that provie THREE solutions for 3 different machines. My blessinsg reached a new limit, when my ticket was drawn for the first special dooor prize! I picked an HP-75C that Ricard Nelson had donated. Thanks Richard. The machine made it to Richmond, traveling in my suitecase.

Dave Ramsey and his wife were instrumental in organizing the HHC2019--hotel and food catering. The food was delicious AND healthy!! Dave was also a wonderful host for many attendees who arived on Thursday the 19th. I lfew from Portland after visiting my son there for a week.

A young fellow Virignian, Joey Shepperd, took the best speaker prize for showing us his colletion of calculators that he built himself, starting with a most basic binay diode calculator and progressing from there. His award was well deserved.

Looking forward to HHC2020!!

Cheers!

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2019, 10:37 AM
RE: HHC2019 Was very nice
Thanks for your report.

My perception as an outsider is that it seems that this HHC 2019 was a little bit less exposed to the general population than what we have seen for the previous HHC years.

Was this caused by a lack of interest from those not able to travel and be physically at the conference, or is this a HHC's policy change concerning non-disclosure of the subjects and materials covered at the conference?

Anyway, as I enjoy watching the HHC presentations, I have to ask:
Will this year's presentations and materials be available FOC as happened in the previous years?

I searched YouTube for "HHC 2019" (without quotes) and got zero entries for the conference, but I see that HHC Arena is still going strong year after year.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

09-26-2019, 11:03 AM
I was unable to attend in person this year, but videos will be posted soon ( I am told ) so just a few more days...
09-26-2019, 02:20 PM
It's not unusual for it to take me a week to upload the conference videos. It's only been 4 days, so the accusation of it being more closed than in the past is ridiculous. Nothing was under NDA.

Unfortunately I am stuck with the Comcast monopoly, with zero competition for broadband at my house, so my Internet connection is extremely slow and extremely expensive (5 Mbps upload speed for $76 per month). The files are bigger than in all years prior to last year, too, since I did everything in 1080p instead of 720p. As a result, the videos are taking a very long time to upload to YouTube, considering the talks range from 2 GB to 17 GB each.

It's also taking me longer because I am spending a lot more time editing the videos, to give more professional results, with multiple camera angles. I was up until 3am again today editing videos, while those I have finished simultaneously upload.

I hope to have something up within a couple days.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-26-2019, 03:15 PM
(09-26-2019 02:20 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  It's not unusual for it to take me a week to upload the conference videos. It's only been 4 days, so the accusation of it being more closed than in the past is ridiculous. Nothing was under NDA.

Hi, Eric,

Thanks for your reply.

Obviously my poor sense of humor I tried to make in my last sentence of my previous post have failed miserably.
Really sorry for the misunderstanding.

Please keep the good work. Appreciated.

Cheers,
Jose

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

09-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Here are the HHC 2019 attendees. A numbered version of this photo, with an accompanying list of names, will appear on the HHC 2019 website ASAP.

[Image: HHC-2019-Group-Photo-small.jpg]

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-26-2019, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2019 04:39 PM by burkhard.)
(09-26-2019 02:20 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I hope to have something up within a couple days.

Thanks very much for this Eric! Those of us perennially "at large" because of family commitments or health really appreciate the videos. They are also a great way for people new to the hobby to catch up later quickly via extended binges of information. Even in 30 years, people will be most grateful the videos were made and shared!
09-27-2019, 10:23 AM
(09-26-2019 03:27 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  ... A numbered version of this photo, with an accompanying list of names, will appear on the HHC 2019 website ASAP.

It's here: https://hhuc.us/2019/reglist.htm

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-27-2019, 05:12 PM
(09-25-2019 07:43 PM)Namir Wrote:  I spend a wonderful few days in Reno with the members of the HHC communities. Each attendee was a special person, full of passion for calculator, programming, electronic and sharing funny stories.

I certainly echo Namir's praise for all of the effort put forth from the main contributors: Richard Nelson, David Ramsey, Jake Schwartz, Eric Rechlin & Joe Horn as well those unsung people who always pitch in and help during the conference. Of course we all know that Namir's sense of humor keeps us all smiling during the conference as he dazzle's us with his brilliant numerical analysis. This year's HHC in Reno went off without a hitch. I strongly encourage those who haven't ever attended an HHC Conference to come to next year's event. You'll find that you'll be warmly welcomed and you'll discover the after hours discussions to be as fascinating as the actual presentations that are made during the conference. It's an amazing and interesting group of people who gather each year to share stories that will resonate with you long after you leave the conference. Who knows....you may even come back a second time.
09-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Absolutely! I've had the pleasure of attending a number of them (including the first in 1979) and *highly* recommend doing so.
09-27-2019, 10:09 PM
I have now uploaded my videos from HHC 2019. This year I used two cameras for multiple angles for most of the talks, so the production quality should be quite a bit better than in the past, with a combination of switching between angles, picture-in-picture, and split-screen in the uploaded videos. The higher quality video (now all in 1080p) also meant it took me a bit longer to get these published than in past years; I had to wait for 85 GB of video to upload to YouTube over my relatively slow connection! Total length of my videos this year is 10:25:07.

Unlike Jake, I don't record between the talks, so that's just time taken by the presentations. I also did not record the introductions, the door prize distribution, or the post-conference user community discussion, so you'll have to wait for Jake's videos to be released if you are interested in seeing those.

The 22 videos I published, in order of when they were presented, are:
09-27-2019, 10:26 PM
Thanks Eric !
09-27-2019, 10:39 PM
Nice Job on the split screen production! Thanks Eric!!!

TomC

(09-27-2019 10:09 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I have now uploaded my videos from HHC 2019. This year I used two cameras for multiple angles for most of the talks, so the production quality should be quite a bit better than in the past, with a combination of switching between angles, picture-in-picture, and split-screen in the uploaded videos. The higher quality video (now all in 1080p) also meant it took me a bit longer to get these published than in past years; I had to wait for 85 GB of video to upload to YouTube over my relatively slow connection! Total length of my videos this year is 10:25:07.

Unlike Jake, I don't record between the talks, so that's just time taken by the presentations. I also did not record the introductions, the door prize distribution, or the post-conference user community discussion, so you'll have to wait for Jake's videos to be released if you are interested in seeing those.

The 22 videos I published, in order of when they were presented, are:
09-28-2019, 02:03 AM
(09-27-2019 10:09 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  I have now uploaded my videos from HHC 2019

thank you very much!
09-28-2019, 05:50 AM
Well, that's my weekend sorted. Thanks Eric!

— Ian Abbott
09-28-2019, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2019 06:35 PM by Eddie W. Shore.)
Eric,

You are awesome! Thank you and you made my trip home and layover a blast.

HHC 2019, as with every other HHC I attended over the years, is a highlight of my years. It's always great to meet with my friends.

It was all about the HP 41C/DM41 and HP 42S/DM42 this year. Classic RPN is king.

I am still blown away by what Joey Shepard has done with his work.

Geoff, thank you for the quick lesson in geography and I'll know what spot on Lake Ontario to avoid.

Namir, I have usually used the five-stencil method for the derivative; it looks like the forward difference method is just as effective.

Here is my blog entry on HHC 2019: https://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2019/09/...n-and.html
09-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Thanks Eric! Wonderful job!! Love the split screen. You give it an extra special touch. Thanks ofr being creative!

Namir
09-29-2019, 12:03 AM
Thank you for posting videos. I would not have been aware of the DM41X otherwise.

I covet one.
Todd
09-29-2019, 12:48 AM
Eric, thank you for the nice work! Wow, it's amazing how far things have evolved since the old days of multiple videotapes -- not to mention the laborious copying (salutations to Jake for that!).

Brian Walsh

(6951) [41] <1>
09-29-2019, 03:33 PM
Gene Wright has inspired me. No, I didn't find a Rockwell 204 financial calculator, but I am buying a Casio FC-100 financial programming calculator. I think I will skip on the MBA.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)