Time before display dims (Tdim)
09-30-2019, 11:25 PM
Time before display dims (Tdim)
The "Tdim" variable must be reset between sessions. Once set, it controls the dimming delay time until the next use of the calculator. If the "Tdim" variable is viewed, it always shows the adjusted value, but uses a 30 second delay until reset for current session. Once user changed, I think the "Tdim" value should remain as selected by the user until changed again by the user or until the calculator is reset. Also, if "Tdim" shows a user-selected delay, it should dim using that value. Ex: I set the "Tdim" value to 120000 (3 minutes, since value is in msec). The display dims after 3 minutes following the last key press on the calculator until I turn off the calculator. When I turn on the calculator to use again, "Tdim" is still 120000, but dims in 30 sec, indicating "Tdim" thinks it is 30000.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2019, 03:26 AM
RE: Time before display dims (Tdim)
That's strange. My Primes act the way they're supposed to act (they use the TDim setting even after turning off and back on).

By the way, it's TDim, not Tdim. And a setting of 120000 is 2 minutes, not 3. But I don't think that's what's causing your trouble. So strange! Have you tried clearing all memory, in case the problem is being caused by corrupted memory somehow? What is your TOff setting? What hardware and firmware versions are in your Prime?

Last, desperate guess: try setting it in CAS using an ordinary decimal number... just in case its binary representation is causing confusion in Home.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2019, 11:28 AM
I recall my rev C prime doing the same thing. I can't check now because it was ... well let's just say it was removed from my possession against my will.

Tdim for the rev D replacement works as expected.

-road
10-01-2019, 01:54 PM
Sorry my bad english, calculator reset TDim if I starting charge battery (but no change in Vars - System). Need set up again Tdim after complete charging. I always set TDim to 300000 (5min) and it work fine until next charging. I have Version C with last software 2.1.14181.
10-01-2019, 06:19 PM
(10-01-2019 01:54 PM)rogvold70 Wrote:  Sorry my bad english, calculator reset TDim if I starting charge battery (but no change in Vars - System). Need set up again Tdim after complete charging. I always set TDim to 300000 (5min) and it work fine until next charging. I have Version C with last software 2.1.14181.

In case it matters, Prime's display doesn't dim at all (regardless of the value of TDim) when powered by USB cable. Charging shouldn't change the actual value in TDim.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
10-03-2019, 04:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies to my issue. I can now be more accurate on what's happening. I have the latest OS as of a month ago. If I set TDim to 120000 (2 min), the display will continue to dim after 2 min even after turned off and back on. If I connect the calculator to my computer, which initiates charging, and then disconnect from the computer, the display will dim in 30 sec even though TDim remains at 120000. If I set TDim to 120000 again, the 120000 value controls until the calculator is connected to the computer again. So what appears to happen is connection to a computer (and possibly just connecting to a charger - I haven't checked that) causes the calculator to use the default value of 30000, even if another value is shown when TDim is interrogated, until TDim is manually changed again to a value other than 30000. My TOff value is never changed from 300000 (5 min), which is fine with me. I just find a 30 sec TDim value is irritating in normal use, so would like it to be something longer, say about 2 minutes.
10-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Have you tried turning it off and on again? (seriously) after having it plugged in...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-04-2019, 10:50 AM
(10-03-2019 01:59 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Have you tried turning it off and on again? (seriously) after having it plugged in...

How long have you waited to use that line in real life? Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?
10-08-2019, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work. I connected the calculator to my computer, then disconnected it. Dim time was 30 sec. I turned the calculator off and then on. Dim time still 30 sec and TDim was #120000:30d.
10-09-2019, 01:53 AM
Wait, is this a Prime G2? If not, TDim does not work on G1 as it is not supported there...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-12-2019, 07:53 AM
DrDJones, I might have a solution for you. At least it works on every Prime I've tried, including two HW rev A machines (PCB rev 00 and 02) and two HW rev C machines (PCB rev 01 and 03). Just backup your contents using the Connectivity Kit, then perform a C+F+O+On "Format Disk C" master reset of your memory to factory condition. After that, the display will dim properly, according to the value you store in TDim.

[For the uninitiated, here's how to perform that master reset if you have a HW rev A or C machine.* Turn it off. Press and hold down the C, F, and O keys (that's the letter O, not the digit 0). While holding them down, press and release the On key. While still holding them down, wait a few seconds until you see the EA656 DIAGNOSTIC screen appear, then release the C, F, and O keys. Press 4 then 3 then Enter. When you see "OK" in blue next to "Format Disk C", press Esc then 9. Your Prime will perform its "Welcome" setup routine.]

If your Prime reverts to always dimming at 30 seconds after you restore memory from your backup, then your backup is corrupted, in which case you should export your programs one at a time, Format Disk C, then reload the programs one at a time, thus avoiding restoring from a corrupted whole-machine backup. Tedious, but way better than retyping everything from scratch.

Disclaimer: If HW rev A and C machines are not supposed to support TDim, then the above solution might only work for a little while after the "Format Disk C" is performed. I have yet to see it STOP working, though. Therefore, please share any insights you have along these lines. Thanks in advance!

* The only difference in performing the "Format Disk C" for HW rev D machines is that instead of tapping the On key while holding C+F+O down, you poke a paperclip into the Reset hole in the back while holding those keys down. The rest of the procedure is the same as above.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
10-13-2019, 04:04 AM
(10-12-2019 07:53 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  * The only difference in performing the "Format Disk C" for HW rev D machines is that instead of tapping the On key while holding C+F+O down, you poke a paperclip into the Reset hole in the back while holding those keys down. The rest of the procedure is the same as above.

Or on HW rev D, while holding down C+F+O you press the On key, then the Symb key before releasing the On key then the Symb key.
Using a paper clip on the backside while holding buttons on the front side takes more coordination than you might think. :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)