HP 67 programming?
10-30-2019, 12:43 AM
HP 67 programming?
I have only really programmed HP 32SII, 42S, and 41C before (and those only a little). I recently downloaded the HP 67 app on my phone. I like the layout, and the red display (wish I had the real thing), and I think I understand the numerical system of the programming language. But how do I scroll the programs, delete lines, etc?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2019, 01:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2019 01:06 AM by toml_12953.)
RE: HP 67 programming?
(10-30-2019 12:43 AM)Trond Wrote:  I have only really programmed HP 32SII, 42S, and 41C before (and those only a little). I recently downloaded the HP 67 app on my phone. I like the layout, and the red display (wish I had the real thing), and I think I understand the numerical system of the programming language. But how do I scroll the programs, delete lines, etc?

To scroll the programs use SST and BST when in program mode. h-shifted CLx is for deleting a line.

Here's a quickie intro to the 67. It's far from complete but it should get you started.

Online HP-67 Manual

Tom L
Cui bono?
10-30-2019, 01:20 AM
And here's the full manual: https://archived.hpcalc.org/greendyk/hp67/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-30-2019, 01:51 AM
I started programming with the HP-55 in 1975. It really had imited programing steps, but I pushed it to teh limit. In 1977 I got an HP-67 and discovered 224 merged steps of programming, multilevel subroutines, indirect addressing, and of course the card reader!! The HP-67 was the first serious handheld programmable device I owned. The HP-41C that came out in 1979 was another revolution.

Namir
10-30-2019, 03:30 AM
Many thanks for the links and info!
11-01-2019, 12:26 AM
I am starting to like this thing. Too bad the real calculator is sooo expensive. I'm guessing they're much slower than the app, but would have been a neat thing to have nevertheless.
11-01-2019, 01:45 AM
They have become more expensive in recent years, but even at $300-400, you're paying a fraction of the original price. They were $450 in 1976, that's equivalent to $2000 today. Smile

N.B. If you do go shopping around for one, make sure to budget an additional $100 or so to get the card reader fixed, those almost invariably need to be repaired because the rubber on the pinch roller turns to goo over time. Sometimes you'll see one offered that has already had that repair done, but most haven't.
11-01-2019, 01:53 AM
(11-01-2019 01:45 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  They have become more expensive in recent years, but even at $300-400, you're paying a fraction of the original price. They were $450 in 1976, that's equivalent to $2000 today. Smile

N.B. If you do go shopping around for one, make sure to budget an additional $100 or so to get the card reader fixed, those almost invariably need to be repaired because the rubber on the pinch roller turns to goo over time. Sometimes you'll see one offered that has already had that repair done, but most haven't.

How are the keys compared to HP41C? Are the buttons often messed up with age? That's one thing that has bugged me with two HP 41C that have had the last few years, they both had some buttons that were either sticky or I had to push a few of them harder than the others to get a reaction.
11-01-2019, 03:06 AM
It varies, I suppose. I have a 67 that I bought fairly cheap ($110 IIRC, not counting the card reader repair, which I also had done) about 10 years ago; it's in good shape but some of the keys do feel a bit softer than the others, the h key in particular. It's clearly been used pretty heavily. Works fine though.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have a 41CX that I bought recently and paid over $300 for, and if it weren't for some slight wear on the feet, I would assume it's never been used. It is spotless and the keyboard is perfect and wonderful. It was advertised as being in great shape, and with a money-back guarantee, so it didn't feel like much of a gamble.
11-03-2019, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2019 11:24 PM by Helix.)
I can't compare with the HP 41, but the keys of the two HP 67 I've found recently have small inconsistencies in their resistance. I don't know if this is due to heavy usage.

On these two calculators, when I received them, one row of keys was almost unresponsive: the top row for one, and the bottom row for the other. This was due to a plastic sheet that was worn and not perfectly aligned, so dust could go easily under the metallic strips.

A calculator with this defect can sometimes be purchased at a reasonable cost, and is not difficult to repair, if one accepts to damage the back label for opening the case. The dust can be removed with a strip of paper, and the plastic sheet is easy to replace with a new one.
These two videos will be better than my explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22ZRju4wNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AxjXCIew9I

And I can confirm that the red display of the HP 67 is really attractive!

Jean-Charles
11-04-2019, 02:24 PM
I have a HP-67 and when I first got it, it had several keys in the bottom row that varied from”mushy” to requiring seemingly way too much force to register the input.
After careful disassembly, I sprayed the key board with DeOxit contact cleaner and then passed a strip of printer paper between the metal springs and key contacts.
After reassembly, the keys feel consistent and register perfectly. I’m amazed at the quality of materials, design and assembly of HP’s early calculators and I agree, the red LEDs are Wonderful.
Dave

RPN rules!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)