Difference between HP41CV and CX halfnut?
11-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Difference between HP41CV and CX halfnut?
On the halfnut HP41s, is the only difference between a CV and CX the second circuit board attached on the CX? In other words if I soldered the 2nd board from a CX onto a CV would the CV effectively be a CX with the time, extended functions and extended memory?

Thanks,

Ken
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2019, 06:42 AM
RE: Difference between HP41CV and CX halfnut?
Almost. But there are some extra functions related to external memory in the ROM of the CX that you don't find in a CV with the time module added on. There's also the text editor "ED" that you won't get with the CV + time module combo.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
11-12-2019, 12:07 AM
(11-10-2019 10:59 PM)Ken S Wrote:  On the halfnut HP41s, is the only difference between a CV and CX the second circuit board attached on the CX? In other words if I soldered the 2nd board from a CX onto a CV would the CV effectively be a CX with the time, extended functions and extended memory?

Thanks,

Ken

If that board is missing on the CV, I believe doing what you suggest will make it a CX minus the stickers. I wonder how they crippled the halfnut 41C model not to be a CV?
11-12-2019, 12:25 AM
(11-12-2019 12:07 AM)hth Wrote:  
(11-10-2019 10:59 PM)Ken S Wrote:  On the halfnut HP41s, is the only difference between a CV and CX the second circuit board attached on the CX? In other words if I soldered the 2nd board from a CX onto a CV would the CV effectively be a CX with the time, extended functions and extended memory?

Thanks,

Ken

If that board is missing on the CV, I believe doing what you suggest will make it a CX minus the stickers. I wonder how they crippled the halfnut 41C model not to be a CV?

Thanks for that. I will give it a shot and see if it works and report back. I have a halfnut CV which after cleaning the battery terminals works fine and a CX which was damaged pretty badly by leaked batteries with some keys locked up from corrosion.

I think all the ram and rom are on one chip for the base 41 functions, I wonder if they just leave some connections on the chip un-soldered from the board? Be a lot cheaper than making a second chip just for the 41C

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)