50G Solver - Use softkeys?
11-11-2019, 07:04 AM
50G Solver - Use softkeys?
I looked through the manual but couldn't find how to do this. Is there a way to make the 50g solver act like the 48 series? I have two equations I'm going back and forth between and I don't know how to do that with the menu-based 50g operation. I need to solve for one variable in one equation, go to the next equation, solve for that variable.

I did see something about solving with a system of two equations. Perhaps that might be a solution, but I'm wondering if I can still use my old method on the 50g?

Thanks.

Thanks!

-Matt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2019, 08:48 AM
RE: 50G Solver - Use softkeys?
Press and hold down (as opposed to press and release) Right Shift, then press NUM.SLV. This should give you access to the original HP-48GX LS+SOLVE menu. From there, press the ROOT menu key, then the SOLVR menu key, exactly as you would do on the HP-48GX.

(You may also use 74 MENU to display the same menu, or even 30 MENU, which immediately enters HP Solve, but requires a valid EQ variable beforehand.)
11-11-2019, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 07:24 PM by MattGreer.)
THANK YOU. I wish I could give upvotes or karma or something, heh. I love this forum.

edit: Oh, one follow up - is this information in the manual somewhere?

Back in the day I made a simple little program to ask the user for input for a few variables, then store those and go to the solver. The screen would blank and the text "Starting Solver..." would come up. I thought I was pretty sharp, lol.

Thanks!

-Matt
11-11-2019, 10:23 PM
(11-11-2019 07:22 PM)MattGreer Wrote:  edit: Oh, one follow up - is this information in the manual somewhere?

It's in the HP 50g Advanced User Reference Manual, in Appendix G (Keyboard Shortcuts); see "Solver menu" near the bottom of page G-2. Also, all the menus' numbers are in Appendix H (see menu 30, "old soft-menu solver", on page H-2).

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2019, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 11:53 PM by Giuseppe Donnini.)
There's also a complete chapter on this topic in the "HP-50G User's Guide" on pages 6-26 to 6-31, entitled "The SOLVE soft menu".
11-12-2019, 04:15 AM
What is the "Keycode"? How is it used? I searched through the manual and didn't see a reference to it.

Since I have two experts seeing this thread... separate question. As I mentioned I made some little simple programs on my 48. I would very happily re-type them, they're short, into a text editor to save them on an SD card to import into the 50G, but I'm seeing that it's not that straightforward. I wouldn't mind just being able to send text straight into the calculator. But then a command like OBJ->, I assume, would translate directly.

Is Debug4x the correct answer here? It seems like, well, overkill, for the simple text transfer I'd like to do.

Thanks!

-Matt
11-12-2019, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 07:19 AM by Joe Horn.)
(11-12-2019 04:15 AM)MattGreer Wrote:  What is the "Keycode"? How is it used? I searched through the manual and didn't see a reference to it.

The "keycode" of a key assignment is a number of the form rc.pf which specifies which row (r) and column (c) on the keyboard, and which "shift plane" (p) the key is prefixed with, and whether the shift key must be held down or not (f). Example: The keycode for the right-shifted HIST key is 41.30, because HIST is the 1st key in the 4th row of the keyboard, and the right shift is "shift plane" number 3, and the final 0 means that the shift key need not be held down while pressing HIST. Keycodes are used primarily for the ASN command (which creates key assignments). User key assignments are active in USER mode, and dormant when USER mode is turned off. For more info, see the AUR's description of the ASN command. The KEY and WAIT commands can return keycodes to the stack.

The keycodes are listed in the AUR's Keyboard Shortcuts table because that's where those "shortcuts" are assigned to those particular keys. Good to know in case you assign anything else to the same keycode.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2019, 08:32 AM
(11-12-2019 04:15 AM)MattGreer Wrote:  Since I have two experts seeing this thread... separate question. As I mentioned I made some little simple programs on my 48. I would very happily re-type them, they're short, into a text editor to save them on an SD card to import into the 50G, but I'm seeing that it's not that straightforward. I wouldn't mind just being able to send text straight into the calculator. But then a command like OBJ->, I assume, would translate directly.

Is Debug4x the correct answer here? It seems like, well, overkill, for the simple text transfer I'd like to do.

Yes, I think Debug4x is overkill. Debug4x is primary used for coding in system RPL & assembly language. It's also very powerful for creating large libraries. Very fun.

I don't know if putting a text file on the SD card will make it appear as userRPL program on the 50g. I've never tried it. My guess is that you will need a program to convert the .txt file that you typed the code in into a .hp file. Please verify this with a more knowledgeable member.

I would look and ask about HPUserEdit on hpcalc.org. I think that would be better than Debug4x in this case.
11-12-2019, 03:44 PM
(11-12-2019 08:32 AM)Carsen Wrote:  Yes, I think Debug4x is overkill. Debug4x is primary used for coding in system RPL & assembly language. It's also very powerful for creating large libraries. Very fun.

I don't know if putting a text file on the SD card will make it appear as userRPL program on the 50g. I've never tried it. My guess is that you will need a program to convert the .txt file that you typed the code in into a .hp file. Please verify this with a more knowledgeable member.

I would look and ask about HPUserEdit on hpcalc.org. I think that would be better than Debug4x in this case.

What it does is it puts things in quotes and there are odd stray characters. I haven't tried to run anything yet. Really these "programs" are just manipulating numbers on the stack after taking input from the user. So nothing as extensive as what you describe with Debug4x.

Thank you for that suggestion, I'll definitely take a look at HPUserEdit.

I'm interested in what you're talking about with regards to libraries and such. Is there a "hello world" type of tutorial out there that discusses when you would need to step up to this level of programming/detail? I'd like to know more.

Thanks!

-Matt
11-13-2019, 03:23 AM
There's a long thread here

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4184.html

with some details. I use a text editor (Notepad++) on my desktop, directly editing files on an SD card that I put into the HP50G. I have details on my process here
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-6932.html

Dave
11-13-2019, 06:04 AM
(11-12-2019 03:44 PM)MattGreer Wrote:  I'm interested in what you're talking about with regards to libraries and such. Is there a "hello world" type of tutorial out there that discusses when you would need to step up to this level of programming/detail? I'd like to know more.

Didn't you use libraries on your 48GX? It's the same thing on the 50g.

A library is an object that holds a bunch of commands. These commands can be accessed from any directory via the library menu, the CATalog, or by typing its name & pressing ENTER.

Also, the programmer of the library can hide some of the commands that he does not want the user accessing. This allows him to make subroutines that don't clutter the menu.

Lastly, the user cannot view or edit the commands in the library, unlike userRPL programs.

That's my very brief summary about libraries. They are very powerful. My favorite feature is you can access them in any directory.
11-13-2019, 07:16 AM
(11-13-2019 06:04 AM)Carsen Wrote:  That's my very brief summary about libraries. They are very powerful. My favorite feature is you can access them in any directory.

You can access them in any directory if you attach them to {HOME}. If you attach a library to any other directory it is only visible in that directory and in any sub-directories below it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
11-14-2019, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2019 10:38 PM by John Keith.)
(11-12-2019 04:15 AM)MattGreer Wrote:  Since I have two experts seeing this thread... separate question. As I mentioned I made some little simple programs on my 48. I would very happily re-type them, they're short, into a text editor to save them on an SD card to import into the 50G, but I'm seeing that it's not that straightforward. I wouldn't mind just being able to send text straight into the calculator. But then a command like OBJ->, I assume, would translate directly.

You can use Conn4X (aka Connectivity Kit) for this. If the text file is the correct format for the HP 50, you can drop it onto the Conn4X screen and it will transfer directly to the calculator.
Example file:

Code:

%%HP: T(3)A(R)F(.);
\<< \-> n
  \<< 1 DUP DUP2 2. \->LIST 3 SWAP 3 n
    FOR k k EUTR1 NIP 1 2 k LMSEQ OVER * \GSLIST SWAP
    NEXT DROP n 1 + \->LIST
  \>>
\>>

If you are able to connect your 48 to a PC, you can save the programs as text files by choosing the "edit as text" option from the menus. Then you just have to change the header to be HP 50 compatible.

Note also that integers in HP-48 programs will be interpreted as exact integers by the HP 50. If you normally work in approximate mode, just edit the program and press ENTER, and the integers will become approximate numbers.
11-15-2019, 04:10 PM

See this post for programs that convert programs to and from a text form. You could run 'OUT' on the 48 to get a string on the stack showing what to type into the text editor on the PC. Then transfer to calc via SD Card; put onto the stack as a string and run the 'IN' program.

The code as listed works on the 48, 49 and 50 models.
11-15-2019, 05:54 PM
I can't thank you guys enough. I really appreciate all the suggestions and help. Definitely a lot of different things to try and learn!

Keep the suggestions coming! Smile

Thanks!

-Matt

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)