Franken-classic
11-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Franken-classic
One of the questions poised to me at last month's gathering in Germany was about re-purposing a classic based on a new CPU board. Walter and I briefly discussed a Woodstock re-purposing some years ago but there were too many limitations to consider proceeding.

As far as LED calculators go, the classics are as good as they get -- lots of nicely controllable display digits and plenty of (really nice) keys. Most of the classics have keys that don't have a front face which would permit three shift keys (yellow, blue and ARC) but the overlay could get complicated.

The 65 and 67 are the odd ones and they have four shift keys combined (f, f^-1, g and h). Their available front key faces do impose a substantial limitation.

Does anyone know what the compatibility of the various different double shot keys are between models? More specifically, are Spice or Woodstock keys able to be put into a classic (without modification)? I do expect the maiming of the Spice or Woodstock as a result but sacrifices need to be made...

Pauli
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2019, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2019 09:20 AM by Harald.)
RE: Franken-classic
Hi Pauli,

I'd be glad to do the hardware if we do the project.
Classic and Woodstock keys are incompatible unfortunately. Spice and Woodstock are compatible.

Cheers,
Harald
11-16-2019, 01:05 PM
Spice and Woodstock are not realy compatible. I tried to use 34c keys in a Woodstock. The Problem is the axle of (I thing the Woodstock) the key is a 1/10 mm tinner and shorter.
So the keys are sticking. I did'n found a way to use them.

Hans-Peter
11-16-2019, 08:03 PM
(11-16-2019 01:05 PM)Hans-Peter Wrote:  I tried to use 34c keys in a Woodstock.

I have done exactly that and have no issue whatsoever.
Maybe there are different keyboard versions that use different keys?
11-20-2019, 05:39 PM
(11-16-2019 06:03 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  One of the questions poised to me at last month's gathering in Germany was about re-purposing a classic based on a new CPU board. Walter and I briefly discussed a Woodstock re-purposing some years ago but there were too many limitations to consider proceeding.

As far as LED calculators go, the classics are as good as they get -- lots of nicely controllable display digits and plenty of (really nice) keys. Most of the classics have keys that don't have a front face which would permit three shift keys (yellow, blue and ARC) but the overlay could get complicated.

The 65 and 67 are the odd ones and they have four shift keys combined (f, f^-1, g and h). Their available front key faces do impose a substantial limitation.

Something using an HP-80 as a donor would be great. Those tend to be plentiful and cheap. If that's no good for some reason, the 45 is also typically a bargain. The other Classics are usually on the pricey side.

I'm really interested to hear about what you are scheming. The LED calculators, especially the Classics, have a certain nostalgic lure for me... fond memories of playing with my dad's HP-35 (which I still have) as a young lad.
11-20-2019, 10:39 PM
I don't have anything planned yet and not sure how I'd find time. It's just something Harald has asked about a couple of times and it seems like it is worth a little exploration. The big limitation will be the fifteen digit seven segment display.

As for hardware, the most obvious choice is the second series HP 35. These have keys that are unmarked and only a faceplate overlay would be required.

My question was really about avoiding this model in favour of a cheaper body and scavenging keys from multiple devices to cobble together so that key stickers weren't required.

Feature-wise, there isn't a limit. Although the display will cause problems (e.g. matrices and complex numbers would be tricky to display nicely).

Pauli
11-20-2019, 11:19 PM
(11-20-2019 10:39 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  I don't have anything planned yet and not sure how I'd find time. It's just something Harald has asked about a couple of times and it seems like it is worth a little exploration. The big limitation will be the fifteen digit seven segment display.

As for hardware, the most obvious choice is the second series HP 35. These have keys that are unmarked and only a faceplate overlay would be required.

My question was really about avoiding this model in favour of a cheaper body and scavenging keys from multiple devices to cobble together so that key stickers weren't required.

Feature-wise, there isn't a limit. Although the display will cause problems (e.g. matrices and complex numbers would be tricky to display nicely).

Pauli

Not sure if it is feasible, but it might be interesting to use a colour touch screen for the keyboard fitted behind the top case half, then any key function can be displayed. Of course it won't feel the same.

cheers

Tony
11-21-2019, 01:14 AM
I suspect a dot matrix LED display would be of more benefit than a touch screen keyboard.
The display is the most limiting factor.

Pauli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)