Which manual for HP-48SX?
11-25-2020, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2020 11:47 PM by EugeneNine.)
RE: Which manual for HP-48SX?
Small world, I guess this being a niche hobby everyone knows all the web sites Smile

I don't seem to have a completed OCR with bookmarks on it anymore, but I have the files I used to attach it. (Had to zip as the forum apparently doesn't allow .ods)

Basically I copied and pasted the table of contents into a spreadsheet and added the columns with the actual page #'s ( in my case +3, it looks like yours is +4 ) then used a tool called jpdfbookmarks to merge the text file in.

I renumbered the first pages with 'numbers' such as "cover", "CoverBack", etc so that the page number of the pdf matches the page number in the images (i.e. make the first page of the table of contents 3 instead of 7 in yours bu renaming the pages 1-4 and starting the count of page 5 as page 1).

Actually I think in the end I used jpdftweak for both the renumbering and Bookmarks, I apparently didn't make great notes at the time.

I did this for page numbers
Code:
Start Page    Style    Prefix    Logical Page
         1    Empty    Cover                1
         2    Empty    CoverBack            1
         3    Empty    Comments             1
         4    Empty    BusReplyMail         1
         5    1, 2, 3                       1

Attached File(s)
.zip  toc.zip (Size: 28.86 KB / Downloads: 7)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2022, 09:43 PM
(11-20-2019 04:21 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(11-20-2019 03:59 AM)Kaliuzhkin Wrote:  I'm in the market for an HP-48 calculator. In the 1990's, I had, what I think was an HP-48G and loved it. I'm looking on eBay and the choices seems to be HP-48SX, HP-48S, HP-48G, HP-48G+ and HP-48GX. I have an HP-48gii and don't like it as much as the others. I'm inclined towards getting an HP-SX.

Two manuals are associated with the SX on eBay. They are the HP-48SX Owner's manual, volumes I and II, and the HP-48 Owner's manual. The HP-48SX Owner's manual volume II, and the HP-48 Owner's manual are hard to find and expensive. Which of these, or another, would be appropriate? I know the HP-48SX Owner's Manual, both volumes, are available herein on the Museum Document Set, but I like paper manuals. Also, is any other material available for free download?

I'll recommend you get a 48GX with Black LCD. The Blue LCD on 48S/SX machines is quite poor contrast and hard to read. The Blue 48GX is better, but nowhere near as clear and readable as the Black LCD units. Also, the GX is faster then the SX and has many additional commands and capabilities.

The 48SX is better looking IMHO (color scheme and keyboard layout), but it sounds like you're getting it to use and not just for collecting; the 48GX is the better choice for that.

Whichever one you get, I strongly suggest you read Bill Wickes' book "HP-48 Insights, Part I", which is also on the MoHPC USB Doc. set (I could not tell if you have that or not from your post). While it is not really an "Intro to 48" type book, it explains RPL and how to use it FAR better than any of the HP manuals, and in fact better than any other books or sources I've ever seen.

Hi Bob, I'm an old die hard 48SX user as well since I used this calculator through university. I'm interested in this book you reference above as well as "MoHPC USB Doc Set". What is that and where do I get it? Thx Scott
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2022, 03:24 AM
(11-03-2022 09:43 PM)sfsouter Wrote:  
(11-20-2019 04:21 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  I'll recommend you get a 48GX with Black LCD. The Blue LCD on 48S/SX machines is quite poor contrast and hard to read. The Blue 48GX is better, but nowhere near as clear and readable as the Black LCD units. Also, the GX is faster then the SX and has many additional commands and capabilities.

The 48SX is better looking IMHO (color scheme and keyboard layout), but it sounds like you're getting it to use and not just for collecting; the 48GX is the better choice for that.

Whichever one you get, I strongly suggest you read Bill Wickes' book "HP-48 Insights, Part I", which is also on the MoHPC USB Doc. set (I could not tell if you have that or not from your post). While it is not really an "Intro to 48" type book, it explains RPL and how to use it FAR better than any of the HP manuals, and in fact better than any other books or sources I've ever seen.

Hi Bob, I'm an old die hard 48SX user as well since I used this calculator through university. I'm interested in this book you reference above as well as "MoHPC USB Doc Set". What is that and where do I get it? Thx Scott

I used my HP-48SX for over 27 years as my primary engineering calculator so it is near and dear to my heart.

The "MoHPC USB Doc Set" or Museum Document Sets is available from this site at the following link. It is a great resource to have.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/cd/cddesc.htm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)