A calculator designed for cheating at tests
12-09-2019, 09:28 PM
A calculator designed for cheating at tests
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJSSMY2

...Amazon calls it their "#1 New Release in Scientific Calculators"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2019, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2019 12:54 AM by Bill (Smithville NJ).)
RE: A calculator designed for cheating at tests
I think I would prefer their Cheating Watch (made by the same company):

Cheating Watch

Quote:
Quote:This watch is specifically designed for cheating on exams with a special programmed software. It is perfect for covertly viewing exam notes directly on your wrist, by storing text and pictures in the 8GB memory storage through your computer.

It has an emergency button, so when you press it - the watch's screen display changes from text to a regular clock.

At least they are being honest in what the intent is.

Now if the watch had a calculator in it....

No wonder a lot of places make you remove your watch before taking an exam.

No more writing the notes on my shirt sleeves or the bottom of my shoe!!

The "Emergency Button" reminds me of some of the PC Games that had a "Boss Key" sequence that would toggle the screen from the game to a spreadsheet.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
12-10-2019, 01:37 AM
(12-10-2019 12:50 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  I think I would prefer their Cheating Watch (made by the same company):

Cheating Watch

This is why I always gave my students open book, open note, open smartphone exams. In the real world, results are the key. You are free to use all kinds of resources as long as you get the correct result. Of course I designed the questions so that the students couldn't just Google the answer. The solution always required thinking on the part of the student.

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-10-2019, 04:09 AM
I agree, open book is the way to prevent this kind of cheating.

I don't think I ever opened a text book or my notes in any open book exam I ever took. If I needed to look up the theory in the exam, it was too late.

Pauli
12-10-2019, 05:54 PM
(12-10-2019 01:37 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(12-10-2019 12:50 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  I think I would prefer their Cheating Watch (made by the same company):

Cheating Watch

This is why I always gave my students open book, open note, open smartphone exams.

In the same way my exam in quantum electrodynamics at the University took place (this is one of my most vivid memories). No calculators and textbooks could help those who did not want to learn. I got a " 3 " on a five-point scale.
12-10-2019, 06:05 PM
That calculator seems to be a portable media player mated with a Casio scientific calculator keyboard. It's potentially actually interesting, not as a cheating device per se, but as a hardware platform to write/port a calculator firmware onto since third-party open-source firmwares for portable media players is a thing.
12-10-2019, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2019 11:42 PM by Claudio L..)
I used to put all the formulae and cheating notes directly printed on the exam sheet I was handing out, for all students to have the same, consistent and reliable cheats (fair play for everyone). They could be confident that all the problems in the exam could be resolved with the few formulae and information I provided in the last sheet.
I did not need to forbid any other materials, they were free to open their manuals if they wanted to, or get the entire book typed into their calculators, who cares (nothing was more efficient than the sheet of paper I provided)
I used to solve the exam myself (taking my time, going as slow as I imagined a student might go), then provide the students twice that time, so speed wasn't a factor either.
They KNEW things were going downhill if they needed extra information, and that was psychologically devastating so nobody would dare open the textbooks in the middle of an exam (they'd rather leave the answers blank than open a book, showing everyone they were struggling).
12-12-2019, 01:06 PM
(12-10-2019 01:37 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  

Cheating Watch
This is why I always gave my students open book, open note, open smartphone exams. In the real world, results are the key. You are free to use all kinds of resources as long as you get the correct result. Of course I designed the questions so that the students couldn't just Google the answer. The solution always required thinking on the part of the student.

I bet your students do a better job when they get hired. On the job, you use whatever resources you can to get the job done. I would rather hire someone who knows how to look things up and knows how to calculate things using the best available calculator than someone who is good at memorizing canned answers.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)