Continuous Fourier Transform
12-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Continuous Fourier Transform
I was checking Xcas on Windows and realized that it can actually do continuous FT, among many other useful functions. Can I ask about the possibilities of this making its way to the Prime?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2019, 02:03 AM
RE: Continuous Fourier Transform
What is the function name?

Basically, some things in xcas cannot be included due to licensing issues (for example, if it uses code that only comes in a license not usable for commercial purposes, or that would force open source everything) because xcas itself doesn't do those functions and relies on other libraries.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-26-2019, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2019 07:45 AM by medwatt.)
(12-26-2019 02:03 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  What is the function name?

Basically, some things in xcas cannot be included due to licensing issues (for example, if it uses code that only comes in a license not usable for commercial purposes, or that would force open source everything) because xcas itself doesn't do those functions and relies on other libraries.

The function is called fourier for the Fourier Transform and ifourier for the inverse Fourier Transform.

This is the page that lead me to the discovery: https://xcas.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/foru...f=4&t=2009

There are also other really nice functions but if we can have fourier and ifourier, that would be great.
12-26-2019, 08:34 AM
(12-26-2019 07:44 AM)medwatt Wrote:  There are also other really nice functions but if we can have fourier and ifourier, that would be great.

To include this in Prime either a) Prime all becomes open source (which the development team is not personally against, but HP is not currently supportive of...), or b) you either need to contact the author at the link and ask/convince/beg/give firstborn or similar to re-license with a compatible one (he could talk to the cas author about what would work), or else rewrite them yourself not using that code. They are not under a license we can use directly and unfortunately that is a very low priority to remake on our side with so many other higher priority things. Sad

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-26-2019, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2019 11:54 AM by medwatt.)
(12-26-2019 08:34 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(12-26-2019 07:44 AM)medwatt Wrote:  There are also other really nice functions but if we can have fourier and ifourier, that would be great.

To include this in Prime either a) Prime all becomes open source (which the development team is not personally against, but HP is not currently supportive of...), or b) you either need to contact the author at the link and ask/convince/beg/give firstborn or similar to re-license with a compatible one (he could talk to the cas author about what would work), or else rewrite them yourself not using that code. They are not under a license we can use directly and unfortunately that is a very low priority to remake on our side with so many other higher priority things. Sad

I've contacted the author via his GitHub page: https://github.com/marohnicluka/giac/issues/1

There's no harm in trying.
12-27-2019, 06:47 AM
(12-26-2019 02:03 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  What is the function name?

As an aside, the DM42 team managed to solve a similar problem by splitting the firmware into opensource and proprietary
https://www.swissmicros.com/License_Statement.php
12-27-2019, 08:05 AM
The Delta project for the Numworks calculator does something similar: a system firmware with extensions, KhiCAS being one of them.
https://zardam.github.io/nw-external-apps
12-28-2019, 08:54 AM
The ability to install opensource extensions would dramatically enhance the prime. All of this could be disabled in exam mode. Lets hope hp can find a way to do this.
12-29-2019, 08:19 AM
And then replace the ti84+ce by the Numworks and the nspire cxii by the HP Prime, with a lot of fun applications developped by the community. If there is a compatible SDK, the same source code could run on both calculators, that would be a win-win situation for HP and Numworks.
01-08-2020, 10:08 AM
(12-26-2019 08:34 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  

The seems to be good news. The author replied to my request.

Hello,
thank you for your interest and sorry for a delayed response. I could indeed distribute my code under a dual license which would be suitable for inclusion in Prime CAS source tree. I'm all for it if that helps students and teachers. I'll contact the HP representatives and try to make an arrangement.
01-12-2020, 08:42 AM
(01-08-2020 10:08 AM)medwatt Wrote:  
(12-26-2019 08:34 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  To include this in Prime either a) Prime all becomes open source (which the development team is not personally against, but HP is not currently supportive of...), or b) you either need to contact the author at the link and ask/convince/beg/give firstborn or similar to re-license with a compatible one (he could talk to the cas author about what would work), or else rewrite them yourself not using that code. They are not under a license we can use directly and unfortunately that is a very low priority to remake on our side with so many other higher priority things. Sad

The seems to be good news. The author replied to my request.

Hello,
thank you for your interest and sorry for a delayed response. I could indeed distribute my code under a dual license which would be suitable for inclusion in Prime CAS source tree. I'm all for it if that helps students and teachers. I'll contact the HP representatives and try to make an arrangement.
This is encouraging news. What would be very cool would be an sdk to allow user compile of such code and adding to prime as an extension to the cas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)