Unable to Update New Firmware
05-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Unable to Update New Firmware
I tried updating my Prime with the latest firmware released today (2014.0331),
but the connectivity kit updater timed out after about 4 retries with a failure
message. I updated the previous firmware release using the CK in Safe Mode
with Networking and that was successful, but trying that this time didn't work.
This is a known issue with some PCs using Windows 7.

I understand there is some firmware installation software on the HP ftp site, but
I no longer have that URL address. Can someone please post a link to that site?
I will try installing the new firmware using the firmware updater on that site.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2014, 06:19 PM
RE: Unable to Update New Firmware
The firmware update works great... except when it doesn't. There seems to be no repeatable reason as to why nearly all computers work perfectly and others seem to just fail every time. It even is different for certain usb ports on the same computer.

I would recommend putting the calculator into update mode directly. This can be done by holding down the SYMB button while the unit boots. If you unit is booted, just press and hold ON-SYMB to reboot, and then release ON but keep holding SYMB down. It will come up in the "recovery" mode.

Then once it is there, connect the unit to the USB port. Wait until it says that it is ready to use (the windows driver install sometimes takes a ridiculously long time for no apparent reason). Then run the update.exe program directly from the install directory. It should find the firmware in your documents folder that was previously downloaded and start doing its thing.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-27-2014, 06:44 PM
I placed the Prime in Recovery Mode and connected the usb cable and waited 15 minutes for the 'ready' message, but it never came up. So now I am stuck in
recovery mode. Any other ideas?
05-27-2014, 06:47 PM
The ready is on the windows side - not on the calc.

If windows isn't installing a mass storage driver I am not sure what else to tell you apart from trying a different port or possibly machine.

TW

05-27-2014, 06:52 PM
I can do without the update. Just tell me how to get out of recovery mode.
05-27-2014, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 06:54 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Running the update software on failure should send the command to exit. That is why you haven't been getting stuck in there before.

If that fails, a pin in the reset hole on the back.

TW

05-27-2014, 07:34 PM
(05-27-2014 06:19 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  I would recommend putting the calculator into update mode directly. This can be done by holding down the SYMB button while the unit boots. If you unit is booted, just press and hold ON-SYMB to reboot, and then release ON but keep holding SYMB down. It will come up in the "recovery" mode.

I had difficulties too. Always with "MASTER.DAT" after 32% it went into some kind of freeze. I tried to follow your description, not sure if I understood it correctly. Calculator is OFF. I press and hold the Symb, then on. It boots into the last symbolic view.

I recall another method to set recovery mode. Hold Symb while pushing the "reset hole". That works "HP Prime recovery mode V13" and the updater.exe runs apparently fine through the entire process.

So far, so .... Now the send button on the Prime is missing. It is there on the emulator once the connection to the real Prime was selected, but not on the real Prime.

The Connectivity Kit has full access though. Did I miss something?

Günter
05-27-2014, 10:22 PM
(05-27-2014 07:34 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  So far, so .... Now the send button on the Prime is missing. It is there on the emulator once the connection to the real Prime was selected, but not on the real Prime.

The Connectivity Kit has full access though. Did I miss something?

Günter

The SEND (unit-to-unit) function is disabled on existing devices with the new update (Tim will undoubtedly have to explain this many, many times, so I will defer to him for why), but you can still Send from the CK to the real device. So this probably means your update is OK after all.

--Bob Prosperi
05-28-2014, 02:36 PM
(05-27-2014 10:22 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 07:34 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  So far, so .... Now the send button on the Prime is missing. It is there on the emulator once the connection to the real Prime was selected, but not on the real Prime.

The SEND (unit-to-unit) function is disabled on existing devices with the new update (Tim will undoubtedly have to explain this many, many times, so I will defer to him for why), but you can still Send from the CK to the real device. So this probably means your update is OK after all.

Thanks Bob, I think that I now vaguely recall it was stated already.

Günter
05-28-2014, 06:25 PM
(05-27-2014 06:47 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  The ready is on the windows side - not on the calc.

If windows isn't installing a mass storage driver I am not sure what else to tell you apart from trying a different port or possibly machine.

I was finally able to update my Prime with the new firmware. I had tried three of
my four USB ports on the left side of my laptop with no luck, but after trying the
fourth USB port on the right side, I was able to successfully download and install
the firmware. Thanks for the help.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)