41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson?
01-17-2020, 06:32 PM
41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson?
I just got a 41CX that included a Surveying I module. I know almost nothing about surveying, aside from typing in a field angle traverse program for the 25 and running through an example problem. Is there anything I can make use of here, or should I look for someone that wants to trade for a Finance module? Smile (I already have Math/Stat and Advantage.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2020, 07:34 PM
RE: 41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson?
Hello!

First I wouldn't know anything useful to do with a finance module either and second: no, I can't think of anything that one can use a surveying module for. I have been the the proud owner of a (very hard to find) dedicated surveying calculator, a Compucorp Surveyor, for some time now, but apart from admiring the craftmanship and the brautiful Panaplex display I have only used + - * and / ....

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
01-17-2020, 11:18 PM
I did a surveying module for the HP-71B in the 1980's and I used the following book to educate myself on the field.
The book has a little less than 1000 pages, is very complete, for sure out of date but the fundamental are all there.

Surveying Theory and Practice
by Raymond E. Davis ; James M. Anderson ; Francis S. Foote & Edward M. Mikhail
Available on AbeBooks at very interesting price. (less than $15 with free shipping)

Sylvain
01-18-2020, 12:46 AM
I do have an old "Elementary Surveying" book ('70s, I think). Maybe I should crack it open and see what I can figure out. Not that I actually have any surveying tools or anything...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-18-2020, 09:24 AM
I strongly doubt any surveyor uses this module/HP-41 these days. Last time I did was more than 20 years ago. Technology went far ahead and made them obsolete, for real life surveying purpose that is.

Cheers,
01-19-2020, 01:44 AM
if you were trying to solve navigation problems, surveying is really a very precise form of navigation. The traverse function might be useful if you were dead reckoning or orienteering? Likely these are as obscure as the Surveying module Smile

I will just put in a plug that if you are fascinated by navigation, the old surveyors on the internet are an incredible resource and they are invariably very familiar with the 41/48 platforms.

best
Todd

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)