HP 17Bii+ emulator availability?
02-06-2020, 01:49 PM
RE: HP 17Bii+ emulator availability?
(02-05-2020 11:26 PM)mfleming Wrote:  Harrah! Thanks Dave! Everything old is new again, and here's my proof...

Mark - Isn't that device based on Android? Does it run DOSBox ?

BTW, Great old meets new photo!!

Another might be this machine running the CK actually connected to an HP Palmtop; it may appear that the machines were trying to mate somehow... Big Grin

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2020, 04:15 PM
(02-06-2020 01:49 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Mark - Isn't that device based on Android? Does it run DOSBox ?

BTW, Great old meets new photo!!

Another might be this machine running the CK actually connected to an HP Palmtop; it may appear that the machines were trying to mate somehow... Big Grin

As Dave pointed out, the device is from Planet Computer in the U.K., though it is their new PDA/Phone model.

https://www.www3.planetcom.co.uk/cosmo-communicator

It runs Android 9, but they promise soon to release a Linux port so you can dual-boot like the Gemini PDA. I'm running DOSBox from Play Store but having some problem with keyboard mapping at the moment. With fewer keys than a standard keyboard, it uses a function key to map many of the lesser used punctuation characters, and DOSBox doesn't grok them. Hopefully get that ironed out soon so a side-by-side can be posted!

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
02-06-2020, 11:31 PM
(02-06-2020 04:15 PM)mfleming Wrote:  As Dave pointed out, the device is from Planet Computer in the U.K., though it is their new PDA/Phone model.

https://www.www3.planetcom.co.uk/cosmo-communicator

It runs Android 9, but they promise soon to release a Linux port so you can dual-boot like the Gemini PDA. I'm running DOSBox from Play Store but having some problem with keyboard mapping at the moment. With fewer keys than a standard keyboard, it uses a function key to map many of the lesser used punctuation characters, and DOSBox doesn't grok them. Hopefully get that ironed out soon so a side-by-side can be posted!

~Mark

I am familiar with the device and followed it's protracted birth over many years, and I thought there Android and Win10 versions, had not heard about a Linux version coming, that should be interesting.

I also didn't know you could run DOSBox on it, that makes it more interesting.

Now if only I can find my original exotic CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXECT.BAT files to configure QEMM, PC-Kwik Cache, Fansi-Console and 4DOS shell. Those were the DOS days...

--Bob Prosperi
02-07-2020, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2020 07:07 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(02-06-2020 11:31 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Now if only I can find my original exotic CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXECT.BAT files to configure QEMM, PC-Kwik Cache, Fansi-Console and 4DOS shell. Those were the DOS days...

Still have them: on a VM from a 1996 backup... :D

Also have another one with QEMM + DesQview! Fun, fun, fun!!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2020, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2020 10:39 AM by jthole.)
(02-05-2020 12:00 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  JT - Since you are aware of the 17BII+ Solver bugs, and are testing these things, maybe run some of the 'bad cases' on both the real device and emulator and see if the results are identical; that may answer this.

I have to trust others for the results on the real device (I only have the older 17Bii, and not the "Plus" - which actually should be called the "Minus" ...), but I tested the emulator against the known flaws (e.g. this equation: A=0xsigma(I:1:10:1:L(S:S+I)) ). Interestingly, the emulator seems more flawed here than the actual "Plus" (which is reported to return 110 for S):

On the older 17Bii, I get A=0 and S=55 (correct evaluation of the expression).

On the "Plus", people got A=0 and S=110.

On the emulator, I get "SOLUTION NOT FOUND", which obviously is not correct.

That is, after clearing the variables, and also after explicitly assigning 0 to them.

So, with the remark that I cannot test it on a real "Plus", the emulator seems to have a serious flaw here indeed.

11C, 12C, 17Bii, DM42

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)