hp41c Time module clone
Nobody has made one yet?

Cheers,
Jorge.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 02:13 PM
RE: hp41c Time module clone
What you're asking for might ruin prices on TAS.

Who could wish that?

J

a.n.
05-29-2014, 09:22 PM
(05-29-2014 02:13 PM)anetzer Wrote:  What you're asking for might ruin prices on TAS.

'TAS'? What is 'TAS'?

Anybody knows how does it work? The time module, I mean? How does it do to wake up a sleeping 41c?

Cheers,
Jorge.
05-29-2014, 11:05 PM
(05-29-2014 09:22 PM)GeorgeOfTheJungle Wrote:  'TAS'? What is 'TAS'?

The Auction Site that shall not be named. :-) Starts with an 'e' and ends with a 'y'.

Quote:Anybody knows how does it work? The time module, I mean?

Reasonably well enough that Monte Dalrymple has a prototype clone in new hardware he has tested with the 41CL CPU replacement hardware. If you take a look at the HP41 hardware documentation and the time module ROM assembly code you can see how it is managed. The 41CL is documented at NEWT Microprocessor Technical Manual, which has some good information.

Quote:How does it do to wake up a sleeping 41c?

It causes a hardware interrupt by the appropriate signalling on the I/O interface lines.
05-30-2014, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 10:50 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(05-29-2014 11:05 PM)cruff Wrote:  The Auction Site that shall not be named. :-) Starts with an 'e' and ends with a 'y'.

TAS is a term used in this forum for eBAY. Apparently some confusion exists that make some members believe it cannot be spelled out but... as you can see it ain't so.
05-30-2014, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2014 08:40 AM by anetzer.)
(05-29-2014 11:05 PM)cruff Wrote:  Reasonably well enough that Monte Dalrymple has a prototype clone in new hardware he has tested with the 41CL CPU replacement hardware.

Is this an assumption or do you have any information that we don't have?

The project page only states:

" I also added solder pads to the top of the board for the 41C bus signals. This will make it easy to connect a time module clone."

I would be very excited, if such a clone would eventually come forth from the uniquely gifted hands of Mr. Dalrymple...

a.n.
05-30-2014, 12:53 PM
(05-30-2014 08:40 AM)anetzer Wrote:  
(05-29-2014 11:05 PM)cruff Wrote:  Reasonably well enough that Monte Dalrymple has a prototype clone in new hardware he has tested with the 41CL CPU replacement hardware.
Is this an assumption or do you have any information that we don't have?

I'm not sure if it progressed to the point if he actually built one. He did get to the point of seeing how big of an FPGA chip it would require. It was discussed a bit on the 41CL Calculator page. The main issue was physical size.
05-30-2014, 06:38 PM
(05-30-2014 12:53 PM)cruff Wrote:  It was discussed

Indeed:

06/07/2012 Status:
[...]
I received a development board for the new Lattice iCE40 FPGA series, so I'll try to load the Timer chip clone into it to see if it fits (and works). If the design fits into one of these parts it might be possible to squeeze a Time Module clone into a module housing, but I don't know if I really want to go in that direction, because it means destroying what is probably a perfectly fine module just for the housing.

05/18/2012 Status:
Release notes updated. 34 boards shipped so far. The Time Module clone is ready to fab, but I suspect that it is going to be too expensive using Xilinx CPLDs. The new Lattice parts look very attractive, but when will they really be available?

No further news since 2012. Hope he didn't give up...
05-30-2014, 06:53 PM
The logic design is complete, as is the PC board design. I was able to fit everything on a board that is 23mm x 13.2mm, which will solder directly to the connector in a module housing. Before I proceed further, I need to put together a breadboard to verify that everything works (and fits in the FPGA I am using.) I hope to get around to this in the next couple of months. It's hard to simulate the logic because of the timescales involved, and this is why most of the verification will need to be done with a breadboard.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2014, 09:10 PM
(05-30-2014 06:53 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  The logic design is complete, as is the PC board design. I was able to fit everything on a board that is 23mm x 13.2mm, which will solder directly to the connector in a module housing. Before I proceed further, I need to put together a breadboard to verify that everything works (and fits in the FPGA I am using.) I hope to get around to this in the next couple of months. It's hard to simulate the logic because of the timescales involved, and this is why most of the verification will need to be done with a breadboard.

If you need beta testers count me in :-)

If you need a module box I've got one. Maybe even two. I would happily donate for the cause :-)

You could make an internal version of the module. One to be soldered directly to the C/CV/CL pcbs. Perhaps?

I think they should fit next to the battery, IIRC this has been done before with the ram modules.

Wow, thank you, these are good news!
05-30-2014, 10:51 PM
(05-30-2014 09:10 PM)GeorgeOfTheJungle Wrote:  If you need beta testers count me in :-)

If you need a module box I've got one. Maybe even two. I would happily donate for the cause :-)

You could make an internal version of the module. One to be soldered directly to the C/CV/CL pcbs. Perhaps?

I think they should fit next to the battery, IIRC this has been done before with the ram modules.

Wow, thank you, these are good news!

I have a couple of beta testers lined up already, but I'll keep you in mind if it comes to that. Thanks.

The board does not have to be mounted in a module housing. It will fit in a slot next to the battery housing, just like some people have done with the original guts of a time module. It should also fit on top of a CL board on the side opposite the piezo buzzer. The internal mounting option is why I added connection points to the top of the latest version of the CL board.

I guess I really need to get busy with the breadboarding...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2014, 02:06 PM
(05-30-2014 10:51 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  I have a couple of beta testers lined up already, but I'll keep you in mind if it comes to that. Thanks.

The board does not have to be mounted in a module housing. It will fit in a slot next to the battery housing, just like some people have done with the original guts of a time module. It should also fit on top of a CL board on the side opposite the piezo buzzer. The internal mounting option is why I added connection points to the top of the latest version of the CL board.

I guess I really need to get busy with the breadboarding...

Wow that's all good news. If not a beta tester perhaps I can be customer #1 :-) ?

Count me in, you've got the first order.

I intend to overclock my 41c, if I do it, say to 2x, do you think the time module will still work? Yours time module, of course, I mean. What do you think?

Thank you,
Jorge.
06-02-2014, 05:35 AM
(05-30-2014 06:49 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  TAS is a term used in this forum for eBAY. Apparently some confusion exists that make some members believe it cannot be spelled out but... as you can see it ain't so.

It's not confusion, it's a joke. Smile

Regards,
Howard

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)