Power up time
03-22-2020, 09:09 AM
Power up time
Did you notice that the Prime is much faster to switch on when the battery is fully charged? Is there an automatic loopback of battery state on cpu frequency?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Power up time
(03-22-2020 09:09 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  Did you notice that the Prime is much faster to switch on when the battery is fully charged? Is there an automatic loopback of battery state on cpu frequency?

Hadn't noticed that. Interesting. Are you sure that you're not comparing a G2 waking up from coma mode with a G2 waking up from normal off mode?

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-22-2020, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2020 06:57 AM by Tugdual.)
(03-22-2020 11:52 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(03-22-2020 09:09 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  Did you notice that the Prime is much faster to switch on when the battery is fully charged? Is there an automatic loopback of battery state on cpu frequency?

Hadn't noticed that. Interesting. Are you sure that you're not comparing a G2 waking up from coma mode with a G2 waking up from normal off mode?
Huh good question, first time i hear about that coma mode so i don’t know.
How do you turn coma on ?
03-23-2020, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2020 12:08 AM by cdmackay.)
(03-22-2020 04:26 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  Huh good question, first time i hear about that coma mode so i don’t know.
How do you turn comme on ?

hold down Shift, press and release On, then release Shift.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
03-23-2020, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2020 02:11 AM by Joe Horn.)
(03-23-2020 12:08 AM)cdmackay Wrote:  
(03-22-2020 04:26 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  Huh good question, first time i hear about that coma mode so i don’t know.
How do you turn comme on ?

hold down Shift, press and release On, then release Shift.

Also, G2 Primes also go into coma mode automatically after being turned off for a few days. This is because normal off mode still uses a trickle of battery power, whereas coma mode uses much less.

You can easily tell whether your Prime was in coma mode or not when you turn it on, because turning on from normal off mode only takes a fraction of a second, whereas turning on from coma mode takes about 3 seconds. Although turning on from coma mode only requires a single press of the On key, it takes so long to power up that I sometimes mistakenly think that I didn't press the On key hard enough and so I press it again, which is totally unnecessary.

Please note that merely pressing On while holding down the Shift key is not sufficient to force Prime into coma mode. cdmckay is correct that you must hold down Shift and then press On, BUT you must then CONTINUE to hold down the On key for about 1 second before releasing it. If you don't hold On down long enough, only a normal turn-off is performed, as can be seen easily by turning the Prime back on. If your Prime is near a bright light source, you can also see something interesting when coma mode starts: the display's backlight turns off immediately but the LCD itself still shows the HP logo for about 5 to 10 seconds, until it slowly fades away.

P.S. If your Prime never goes into coma mode, it's probably a G1 Prime. Coma mode is only found in G2 Primes.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-23-2020, 04:13 PM
I do have a G2 good catch.
So I did indeed notice that a long press on Shift and Off resulted in a longer power up.
I'm still under the impression that the low power ON was even longer than that but I wouldn't swear. Anyway thanks for the detailed answer, I definitely learned something about the Prime.
Take care, stay safe guys!
03-24-2020, 02:28 AM
ta for the correction, Joe.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
03-24-2020, 07:04 AM
Hello,

G2 boot sequence is:
- Rom in CPU boots
- Rom in CPU located flash rom, locates OS in flash (7MB) and loads said OS to ram. This takes around 3s...
- Rom in CPU starts OS
- OS displays the HP logo
- OS starts all "drivers". This includes the file system...
- File system starts... But file system has to scan some/part of the flash. This can be, unfortunately a slow operation... It can take anything from 1s to 7s!!!! These needs to be added to boot time.
- OS accesses roughly 500Kb of files (character set + all calc state files)... ~0.3s
- OS starts calculator function

Here you go, this should explain the Prime G2 boot process...

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
03-24-2020, 07:27 AM
(03-24-2020 07:04 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

G2 boot sequence is:
- Rom in CPU boots
- Rom in CPU located flash rom, locates OS in flash (7MB) and loads said OS to ram. This takes around 3s...
- Rom in CPU starts OS
- OS displays the HP logo
- OS starts all "drivers". This includes the file system...
- File system starts... But file system has to scan some/part of the flash. This can be, unfortunately a slow operation... It can take anything from 1s to 7s!!!! These needs to be added to boot time.
- OS accesses roughly 500Kb of files (character set + all calc state files)... ~0.3s
- OS starts calculator function

Here you go, this should explain the Prime G2 boot process...

Cyrille

Nice explanation! Thank you!
What about the G1? How does it boot?
Please!

Veli Pekka
03-25-2020, 06:40 AM
Hello,

I know less about G1 because a lot of it is the Besta OS...

But basically, the CPU will boot the Besta OS, which is around 2MB (in comparison, the Prime G2 OS is around 200KB!)...
The Besta OS will then load the "HP application" (Besta OS is a multi app capable OS). And start it...

Since the Besta OS is much smaller, this allows it to load fast and display the animation at startup time to hide the application load/boot time.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
03-25-2020, 10:15 AM
(03-25-2020 06:40 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  But basically, the CPU will boot the Besta OS, which is around 2MB (in comparison, the Prime G2 OS is around 200KB!)...

Since the Besta OS is much smaller, this allows it to load fast and display the animation at startup time to hide the application load/boot time.

Cyrille

You say BestaOS is around 2MB and G2 OS is around 200KB but you also say
the Besta OS is much smaller

How is 2MB smaller than 200KB?

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-26-2020, 12:31 AM
I'm betting it's 200MB Smile

Cambridge, UK
Casio, Rockwell 18R
03-26-2020, 06:28 AM
Hello,

No, I meant what I said...

G1: CPU Boots 2MB Besta OS. Besta OS is now active and can display the animation while it loads and starts the calculator app.

G2: CPU loads and boots the calculator OS AND APP (which are bundled together), at the same time (8MB or so, with, I doubled checked, 60KB for the OS+drivers and the rest being the application)... This takes longer... During this time, the code that HP wrote has no control, so there is no display or anything... Then, the OS+App has control, displays the HP logo and boots the OS+APP. Depending on the time to boos the file system, it takes various amount of time.

Hope this helps

Cyrille

03-26-2020, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the detailed information but how does it relate to the original question? Is there a connection between speed and battery load? How does the non coma mode speed up power on?
03-27-2020, 06:41 AM
Hello,

Kind of...
Battery charge will have nothing to do with boot speed...

G1 boot is slower than G2, and G1 is slower to come back from off mode than G2 because the Besta OS seems to do a lot of things at off time (I do not know what exactly), which slows down the process...

G2 boots, usually, faster than G1. G2 comes back on from off mode MUCH faster than G1... BUT G2 uses Much more power in OFF mode than G1 because the ram (MDRAM3) has 10 to 20 times the power consumption of the DRAM2 used in G1. As a result, we have added the "coma mode" which saves all data to flash, powers everything off and results in a full reboot when you press on. In this mode, G2 uses 10 to 100 times less power than G1 in off mode. But G2 takes longer to boot than G1 takes to return from off mode.

So, here you go, this should more or less answer the original question!
Anyhow, what is internet good for if we can not use it to ramble and go off subject!

Cyrille

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)