What's the TDP of the Prime G2's CPU?
04-05-2020, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 06:27 PM by Solver.)
What's the TDP of the Prime G2's CPU?
It's not important at all but I was just curious after watching a video on the Intel Atom and hearing it only consumed 5 watts at absolute maximum usage.

I tried looking it up on Wikipedia but the TDP is not specified anywhere here, here, or here.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the i.MX 6 UltraLite was chosen due to a combination of price, performance, and power?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2020, 01:43 AM
RE: What's the TDP of the Prime G2's CPU?
From memory it was about 1.1² jijawatts last time I calculated it...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-06-2020, 02:10 AM
(04-06-2020 01:43 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  From memory it was about 1.1² jijawatts last time I calculated it...

[Image: PxxpQjZ.jpg]

C'mooonnnn...
04-06-2020, 05:38 AM
Hello,

Total calc, at full power, uses around 190mA of the 3.7V battery.
This includes the screen + RAM + CPU...
you can probably remove around 60mA from RAM+Screen, which leaves 130mA@3.7V or ~0.5W

This looks like a high number when compared with 5W for an atom chip, which run at much higher frequency, have more core and caches...

Arm are normally very efficient compared with Intel... I would expect to have more than a 10* ratio...

I know that my 190mA is correct, I measured it myself... But the screen+ram number is only an estimate. In Idle mode, doing nothing, but with the screen on, the system chews 100mA... but at this power use, the CPU is powered and still takes some power for internal systems, clocks, caches, interrupts, and screen refresh... so I do not think that my figure is too far off the mark.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
04-06-2020, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2020 04:33 PM by Solver.)
(04-06-2020 05:38 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

Total calc, at full power, uses around 190mA of the 3.7V battery.
This includes the screen + RAM + CPU...
you can probably remove around 60mA from RAM+Screen, which leaves 130mA@3.7V or ~0.5W

This looks like a high number when compared with 5W for an atom chip, which run at much higher frequency, have more core and caches...

Arm are normally very efficient compared with Intel... I would expect to have more than a 10* ratio...

I know that my 190mA is correct, I measured it myself... But the screen+ram number is only an estimate. In Idle mode, doing nothing, but with the screen on, the system chews 100mA... but at this power use, the CPU is powered and still takes some power for internal systems, clocks, caches, interrupts, and screen refresh... so I do not think that my figure is too far off the mark.

Cyrille

The ~.5 watts actually sounds really small and appropriately so considering we're getting ~500 MHz out of that. Battery life has to be taken into consideration here. Even if the Atom only consumed 2 watts, that's still 4x the power draw, which means an Atom would make the calculator run at a 1/4th of its current battery life of course. While 1 GHz would be nice to have, I also can't really think of any calculations that would really need that kind of power besides 3D drawing (which the calculator can already kinda handle) and working with absolutely massive datasets (which the calculator can also sort of handle). And if you really need more than that, you might as well just make your desktop/laptop do the work.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)