Custom shell?
12-24-2023, 02:41 AM
Custom shell?
One would like the ability to use different fonts in a new shell. E.g. suppose I wanted to implement an APL system? I guess what I want to know is - is there enough low-level knowledge of this calculator to interact with it on the system level?

-drl
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-25-2023, 08:00 AM
RE: Custom shell?
(12-24-2023 02:41 AM)deSitter Wrote:  One would like the ability to use different fonts in a new shell. E.g. suppose I wanted to implement an APL system? I guess what I want to know is - is there enough low-level knowledge of this calculator to interact with it on the system level?

What do you mean by "different fonts"? Are you missing some symbols?
In Prime, there is no low-level access to either the CPU or the operating system. The only thing you can use are applications written in PPL or Python, but you can do a lot with that.

Best wishes

Piotr Kowalewski
12-25-2023, 06:22 PM
(12-25-2023 08:00 AM)komame Wrote:  
(12-24-2023 02:41 AM)deSitter Wrote:  One would like the ability to use different fonts in a new shell. E.g. suppose I wanted to implement an APL system? I guess what I want to know is - is there enough low-level knowledge of this calculator to interact with it on the system level?

What do you mean by "different fonts"? Are you missing some symbols?
In Prime, there is no low-level access to either the CPU or the operating system. The only thing you can use are applications written in PPL or Python, but you can do a lot with that.

Best wishes

The APL character set requires a different font. The computer has plenty of memory for that but it's just silly at this late stage to have to jump through hoops.

-drl
12-25-2023, 06:51 PM
(12-25-2023 06:22 PM)deSitter Wrote:  The APL character set requires a different font. The computer has plenty of memory for that but it's just silly at this late stage to have to jump through hoops.

Rather than a whole new font, it would require the Prime's existing font to be extended by a firmware update to implement the glyphs corresponding to the Unicode code points assigned to the APL symbols.

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)