What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
02-02-2022, 09:15 PM
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
I think it's been mentioned before but changing the Units functions to work like the 50g would be wonderful. I am especially talking about the way you can quickly convert units using the left shift key in conjunction with the soft menu.

For instance you need to convert 12in^3 to cm^3. With the Units/Volume menu up, you can type 12 (softkey in^3) then left shift (softkey cm^3). You can left shift / soft menu to convert to any compatible units. So fast and intuitive.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2022, 07:56 PM
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
In the graphing app, I would like to have something like the CASSIO fx-CG 50 where one can press the right or left direction pad buttons to seek the next extremum, even if off screen, within the domain being shown. Also, I would like to see the VAR results store the last 2 results to make it easier to obtain an integration within the graphing app from points of interest.
02-04-2022, 11:48 PM
The same for other points of interest such as roots and intersections…
02-05-2022, 10:09 AM
Sure its been said but it would be interesting to have tehe precision of the dm42 from swiss micro:
Floating point standard IEEE 754-2008, 128-bit floating point precision implementation.
Additionally, related to the manual, it would be very interesting to collect many application examples given in this forum.
There are brilliant ones which could expand the actual manual.
And a new chapter on how to program in Python.
02-07-2022, 11:45 AM
Hello everybody,

I want to supplement my already posted wishes with this: Let CAS have a "explain" feature which shows how the calculator came to the delivered solution.

Best Regards,
Stefan
02-09-2022, 07:15 PM
Colour e-ink display on each key. This would allow for infinitely customisable key configurations. Maybe even reduce the number of keys required. Perhaps turn the areas surrounding the keys into an e-ink display. Although this would be far more challenging to implement and probably overkill.

Turn the back into a large e-ink display, or have a clamshell design, for handwriting notes, equations, and editing code more efficiently.

Speech recognition for dictating notes, equations, etc.

Camera with OCR to load equations/text from printed/displayed material.

WiFi connection for integration with a cloud service giving seamless. access to vastly greater storage and processing power.

Bluetooth for connecting to external keyboards/mice/speakers/headphones/data collection.

Of course this would end up with a calculator that would be completely unsuitable for school exams unless a seriously locked down exam mode could be implemented.

And arguably too close to a smart phone for people to consider purchasing in addition to their phone.

User configurable e-ink display keys would be enough to get me seriously interested.
02-09-2022, 08:31 PM
(02-09-2022 07:15 PM)Antonide Wrote:  Colour e-ink display on each key. This would allow for infinitely customisable key configurations. Maybe even reduce the number of keys required. Perhaps turn the areas surrounding the keys into an e-ink display. Although this would be far more challenging to implement and probably overkill.

Turn the back into a large e-ink display, or have a clamshell design, for handwriting notes, equations, and editing code more efficiently.

Speech recognition for dictating notes, equations, etc.

Camera with OCR to load equations/text from printed/displayed material.

WiFi connection for integration with a cloud service giving seamless. access to vastly greater storage and processing power.

Bluetooth for connecting to external keyboards/mice/speakers/headphones/data collection.

Of course this would end up with a calculator that would be completely unsuitable for school exams unless a seriously locked down exam mode could be implemented.

And arguably too close to a smart phone for people to consider purchasing in addition to their phone.

User configurable e-ink display keys would be enough to get me seriously interested.

Very nice out-of-the-box ideas. I like WiFi with cloud integration the most. Maybe not only WiFi but also SIM card for data connection. This way, HP could sell a subscription for the expanded cloud services. This idea should easily win a strong support from HP top management. Potentially, it could help HP to improve its minuscule market share in cloud services, not on the chart even:

[Image: 18819.jpeg]
02-15-2022, 11:46 AM
That's an easy one! Some of the aforementioned with regards to software, water/dust proof case with solar power capability that is simple and rugged - stuff your sleek slimjim design rubish. They could probably get away with having a few different designs for different applications, a horizontal pocket design would be fun.
04-24-2022, 03:27 AM
(01-31-2022 08:51 PM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  I love all your suggestions and ideas! We are always looking into making our products better and I will certainly add these points to the list. I cannot promise anything, but there's a lot I would love to see in real life!

Thanks Klaas!
04-25-2022, 08:44 AM
Maybe not too dificult to implement even in current HP Prime hardware. It would be nice to be able to connect an USB keyboard for typing programmes. In particular, using Python, even from the command line, might become quite typing intensive.
04-25-2022, 05:59 PM
What would *I* like to see? A shipping date!

So many signals, so little bandwidth!
04-25-2022, 06:58 PM
my wishes?
Before we should talk future hardware, there is enough to do on existing hard- and software.
e.g. corrections to firmware for both G1 and G2, also for the connection kit.
(see threads about reboots of G1 hardware after connecting to PC).

But how? without Tim and Cyrille?
06-02-2023, 02:42 AM
2023 thread bump. Any news? Wink
06-02-2023, 06:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2023 06:13 AM by Thomas_Sch.)
(06-02-2023 02:42 AM)Dands Wrote:  2023 thread bump. Any news? Wink
I have the feeling we're riding a dead horse.
My feeling is that there will be no successor in the foreseeable future.
Edit:
Also see post https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14...#pid159593
Last "update" from moravia was a nice try, not more.
No errors repaired. No CAS update.
06-02-2023, 08:08 AM
(06-02-2023 06:09 AM)Thomas_Sch Wrote:  
(06-02-2023 02:42 AM)Dands Wrote:  2023 thread bump. Any news? Wink
I have the feeling we're riding a dead horse.
My feeling is that there will be no successor in the foreseeable future.
Edit:
Also see post https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14...#pid159593
Last "update" from moravia was a nice try, not more.
No errors repaired. No CAS update.

I tend to agree. Plus there's no shortage of the HP Prime in retail here in the UK, where it's only 70% of the retail cost of its equivalent CAS model, the Texas Instruments Nspire CX II-T CAS - based on the current retail price to individuals at Oxford Supplies, the equivalent of (the original) Educalc here in the UK (I don't know other markets as well is the UK market, so this mightn't be a universal insight).

https://www.studentcalculators.co.uk/aca...ators.html
06-02-2023, 01:56 PM
So HP will pretty much let this product die out of lack of updates, never replace it and lose a big share of the calculator market? Pretty bad business decision.
06-02-2023, 03:14 PM
(06-02-2023 01:56 PM)Dands Wrote:  So HP will pretty much let this product die out of lack of updates, never replace it and lose a big share of the calculator market? Pretty bad business decision.

HP has nothing to do with calculators anymore. You'd have to take it up with Moravia (?)

Tom L
Cui bono?
06-02-2023, 10:37 PM
If HP did decide to get back into calculator market with a new HP Prime it would have to be a Retina display, Type-C support third party native app development using C/C++ retain PPL and allow PPL to interact with C/C++ written functions

The keyboard needs to feel like CASIO keyboard and Bluetooth for external mouse and keyboard input
06-03-2023, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2023 02:42 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
(06-02-2023 10:37 PM)Insoft Wrote:  If HP did decide to get back into calculator market with a new HP Prime it would have to be a Retina display, Type-C support third party native app development using C/C++ retain PPL and allow PPL to interact with C/C++ written functions

The keyboard needs to feel like CASIO keyboard and Bluetooth for external mouse and keyboard input

I am fairly sure none of that will happen.

* A Retina display is not needed for this application and would just add additional cost and battery consumption to a product category (educational graphing calculator) that is very sensitive to both.

* Supporting third party native app development using C/C++ would be a large, expensive effort that would not make this calculator more sellable in the educational marketplace. It could also introduce security risks which could make this model unsuitable for the educational marketplace.

* Adding Bluetooth is not needed for this application and would just add additional cost, battery consumption and security risks to a product catagory that can not tolerate any of those things.

* Making the keys feel more like Casio keys would eliminate one of the key elements that makes HP calculators more attractive to buyers. HP put a lot of effort into making the keys work and feel like they do. If you want the Casio keyboard feel, just buy a Casio or a TI or a Sharp.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2023, 10:08 AM
I know the two major distributors of educational calculators here in the UK fairly well, Oxford Supplies and ScienceStudio. It's their opinion that the era of large graphical/scientific calculators, with or without CAS, is over. Look at the number of refreshes Casio has made to their mid-market education calculators since they launched the FX-CP400 ClassPad II back in 2013. It's had refreshes but mainly to add an examination/test mode to appease examination boards. The OS itself has hardly changed since Casio launched the ClassPad back in 2003. To make matters worse, all models are using an ancient ARM SoC, which was underpowered back in 2013.

Incidently, if you collect Casio calculators and live in the UK, you can pick up a CP400 ClassPad II from ScienceStudio at by far the best price (in comparison to anything I've seen since COVID on Amazon on eBay). The reason ScienceStudio are selling at a reasonable price, is because they couldn't get their hands on any units during COVID, when demand for the unit was high, and consequently ordered far too many, but unfortunately the demand fell away post-COVID, as Casio are now pouring most of their efforts into ClassPad for Web/tablets and suchlike. If one subscribes to the ClassPad WebApp, they also get to use the full ClassPad calculator on their mobile and tablet devices (as well as having access in those mobile browsers that support the advanced JavaScript engine).

The likes of GeoGebra and Desmos made Casio change their ClassPad strategy.

For all I say about the ClassPad being underpowered, it was innovative, it's just a pity the Casio engineers didn't evolve on their initial concepts. And on that basis, I still think it's a good purchase if you don't already own it. As long as you stay away from the graphing aspect, it's great. It's especially good for CAS, statistics and business math, as it features the best spreadsheet of any calculator to date. I like to compare CAS results between the CP400, the Nspire and the Prime CAS. In general, they all provide correct results, but they all simplify differently at times. This can spin a lazy student's noggin, when they compare their calculator's results to what they see in their textbooks. Smile

Back to the Prime, I really hope that Moravia carries on developing the OS. Unlike Casio, HP always stuck powerful processing capabilities in the Prime and the G2 processor will keep the Prime trucking for a few years yet. Plus the Prime is the only calculator that breaks free from its primary marketing segment, namely education. Even though it has a weak RPN capability, it's far more interactive than using the Nspire or the ClassPad. And much as the bling design is aimed at students, it looks less like a student calculator than the other options.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)