[WP-34S] Protecting stickered keys
05-31-2014, 12:38 AM
[WP-34S] Protecting stickered keys
The sticker overlays for the WP-34S are nice quality and the surface itself seems quite tough. However, over time mine have shown a tendency to wear a bit from the edges (where they were cut) and on occasion lift up a bit from the key if I am sloppy with how I drag my fingers.

A couple of months ago, as an experiment, I carefully applied clear nail-polish to the + key on my WP-34S calculator. My goal was to see how well it would hold protect the sticker over time. I was especially interested to see if I made sure to cover the edge of the sticker, how well it would behave over time. It did very well.

So, a few weeks ago, after a bit of research into the difference between base coat, clear nail polish, and top coat, I applied multiple layers of top-coat to an entire row of keys on the WP-34S.

First I used a black sharpie to color the edges of the stickers and any scratches. Then I applied a layer of top coat, making sure it beaded over the edge of the sticker (to protect the edge) but did not drip down the side of the key. After letting it dry for a few hours, I repeated the process for 3 layers.

I wish I had gone to the nail salon and had them do it because the surface is not as smooth as professionally done nails. Nevertheless, now that I have used it for a while, I am very happy with the results. Previously the stickers had a tendency to show a bit of white at the edges, and you could definitely feel a bit of friction if you dragged your finger along the edge of the sticker. Now, the buttons feel smooth with the edge of the sticker being well protected. There have been no scratches or wear to those keys at all.

The one thing to be careful of, I found out, is that the top coat seems to dissolve the sharpie. If I dragged too much from the edge of the button towards the center when applying the top coat, I got a little bleeding of black. Next time I will experiment with other markers to see if I can find one that does not dissolve.

I just got a new WP-34S (with Harald's board) and intend to take it to a nail salon and have them do a professional job painting multiple layers on all the keys for me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2014, 01:12 AM
RE: [WP-34S] Protecting stickered keys
(05-31-2014 12:38 AM)Marcel Samek Wrote:  I just got a new WP-34S (with Harald's board) and intend to take it to a nail salon and have them do a professional job painting multiple layers on all the keys for me.

Thanks for sharing the idea Marcel, it would have never occurred to me to try nail polish - brilliant! And I really look forward to hearing the reaction of the women at the salon when asked to do a nail-job on a calculator!! It probably cost more since it has more than 10 'fingers'.

--Bob Prosperi
05-31-2014, 01:31 AM
(05-31-2014 01:12 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  And I really look forward to hearing the reaction of the women at the salon when asked to do a nail-job on a calculator!! It probably cost more since it has more than 10 'fingers'.

Yes, please get a video of this.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2014, 05:07 AM
(05-31-2014 01:31 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 01:12 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  And I really look forward to hearing the reaction of the women at the salon when asked to do a nail-job on a calculator!! It probably cost more since it has more than 10 'fingers'.

Yes, please get a video of this.

+1 Smile
I never even thought of creating business for nail studios though.

d:-)
05-31-2014, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 01:47 PM by limnion.)
A quick interjection from someone who very occasionally works with nail polish and lacquer in a museum setting -- Many clear nail polishes will yellow over time, and, depending on the type of material, could affect the longevity and durability of the object. There are several archival lacquers out there that would at least not yellow, but in general it's bad practice in the long run to apply nail polish to plastics or paper. I'm not a materials scientist, so a lot of this is more professional taboo than an informed understanding of what's going on chemically for me, so feel free to disregard what I have said.

The US National Park Service has a brief Conserve-O-Gram (PDF) that includes a procedure for applying an archival-quality bottom coat to various materials, but it also warns against using nail polish in these kinds of circumstances. It does mention that different plastics respond differently to the acetone, so for all I know we could be lucky there. I was unable to find any directly relevant material about the long-term stability of the lacquers sometimes used in art conservation contexts, and I lack the proper background to sort through what I was able to find. I still have a long way to go with my conservation coursework.

That said, I really want something like this to work, because I love my WP-34s and having more stable labels would be a definite improvement.
06-02-2014, 04:47 PM
(05-31-2014 01:28 PM)limnion Wrote:  A quick interjection from someone who very occasionally works with nail polish and lacquer in a museum setting -- Many clear nail polishes will yellow over time, and, depending on the type of material, could affect the longevity and durability of the object. There are several archival lacquers out there that would at least not yellow, but in general it's bad practice in the long run to apply nail polish to plastics or paper...

I recently purchsed a set of automotive paint touch-up pens for the purpose of (trying) to repair a couple of scratches. One of those pens is a clear coat to go over the base coat and top coat colors. Anyone have an idea if this would be a viable alternative to nail polish?

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
06-07-2014, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 06:27 AM by lemontea.)
What about model paint? I speak only from memory of a distant past putting together Tamiya models.

[Image: index.php?page=Attachment&attach...embedded=1]
06-07-2014, 06:35 AM
(06-07-2014 06:26 AM)lemontea Wrote:  What about model paint? I speak only from memory of a distant past putting together Tamiya models.

I don't think I'd use Tamiya paint for this. As much as I like them for a lot of purposes, I wouldn't use them as a sealing coat.

I'd use a Humbol clear enamel, although it will yellow the keys a little. Surprisingly gentle on underlying surfaces. Turpentine clean up though.

- Pauli
06-07-2014, 07:34 AM
(06-07-2014 06:35 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  I'd use a Humbol clear enamel, although it will yellow the keys a little. Surprisingly gentle on underlying surfaces. Turpentine clean up though.

Oh yeah, Humbrol is the model paint manufacturer with the biggest market share here for decades.

d:-)
06-12-2014, 05:36 AM
I so want to know how it goes at the salon.. video is best

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)