IBM Launches New COBOL Training Initiative
04-17-2020, 06:21 PM
RE: IBM Launches New COBOL Training Initiative
(04-16-2020 07:57 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Thanks Hans, I didn't know that.
Don, in those times, intermediate results (so do I interprete subtotal), when everything had to be printed on paper, of course were very helpful. It was kind of the "stop, look and listen" (and think) behaviour.

Today? "Machine does everything, machine knows everything" Maybe a lozenge-key would be helpful again.

Hans
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2020, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2020 05:27 PM by Don Shepherd.)
RE: IBM Launches New COBOL Training Initiative
(04-17-2020 06:21 PM)Hans S. Wrote:  Today? "Machine does everything, machine knows everything" Maybe a lozenge-key would be helpful again.

"Siri, what is the solution to the coronavirus crisis?"

I think the lozenge key probably served its purpose well back in the 1950's, but today I think what is needed can be found in the IBM motto: "think". It seems to me that too many young people don't know how to think effectively and have become too dependent on things like Siri (and whatever the Google equivalent is, I know they have one). I have no doubt that a vaccine for our current crisis will be the result of many scientific people exercising the "think" function. I anxiously look forward to that day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)