Most Treasured HP Collectible
04-15-2020, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2020 07:31 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
Most Treasured HP Collectible
What is the most treasured HP in your collection?
In this poll "treasured" can mean whatever you like, value, rarity, or favorite.

I'm going to go with my HP-41 Translator Pac manual autographed by William C. Wickes. I traded a Forth/Asembler module for a 41 Translator module and it included the manual.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2020, 07:25 PM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible
Dear Dave,

My first idea was to metion my 9100A and 9100B calculators, the B with 9120 printer. All of them are optically in very good condition and are fully working. I love these masterpieces.
But then I decided to mention my hp67, serial No 1701..., bought very early in 1977. This calculator was my companion during all the time at university (I just started to study physics), it helped me to get my MSci and my PhD, and to start a good carreer in a big glass-making company. I used it all the time.
Meanwhile it got a replacement ACT-chip from panamatic and it is still my favorite day-to-day calculator. It is in good cosmetical condition, only the printing at the bottom of the keyboard got wiped-away a little bit.

Roland
04-15-2020, 11:09 PM
(04-15-2020 05:33 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  What is the most treasured HP in your collection?

Note: in what follows all the links display photographs of the actual items in my collection, not generic ones.

In my collection the most treasured "item" is the full set of all Voyagers (HP-10C, HP-11C, HP-12C, HP-15C and HP-16C) in mint condition, all of them fitted with their nice HP-branded leather-like case for full protection, plus all the manuals and Solution Books for them.

However, my HP-41CX with Card Reader, Extended Memory, Advantage Module and PPC Module (all items mint, with box, HP-branded leather-like case, QRG's and manuals) also scores very high, as does my HP-71B fitted with 128 Kb CMT Memory Module, Math ROM, HP-IL ROM and Forth/Assembler ROM (plus box, case, manuals, QRGs, boxes, etc.)

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-16-2020, 12:59 AM
I'll go with my 40b for its rarity:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5941]

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
04-16-2020, 01:53 AM
(04-16-2020 12:59 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  I'll go with my 40b for its rarity:

That looks like it could be converted to a WP 34S Smile

Pauli
04-16-2020, 11:52 AM
I have to say my trusty 15c I bought new in 1986. It took me through engineering (ChE) and took many rides in a gym bag packed with loads of text books.

No bad keys, no scratches, no repeating numbers even the feet are good. Amazing considering the math crunching it saw. I hope I didn't just jinx it.

It stays at home and the wife won't touch it - RPN. Smile
-B
04-16-2020, 12:01 PM
My HP-67, no question. This is what I lusted after back in the day but couldn't afford. It's a museum piece now, but it works perfectly, and it still stands out as an exceptionally handsome machine.

Honorable mention to my HP-42S. If I actually needed to use a physical calculator today, this would be the one I'd pick.
04-16-2020, 12:12 PM
For me I rather keep as much as I can of the HP-12C while it is still available.

Gamo
04-16-2020, 02:50 PM
My HP-65 gets the nod.

I chose it over my 67 and 41s because of it being the first programmable and it’s limited programming features making it quite a challenge.

RPN rules!
04-16-2020, 03:34 PM
Hi,

I have got an HP41CV tall keys, looks new and is very rare.
Also an early HP41C made in Brazil, supposedly the week 56.
An HP35 red dot, with all extras and additional documents in Spanish, like a official letter of the dealer, the full color HP folder with his business card, leaflets, etc. and a remarkable tiny official card with a list of the bugs present in the calculator, also in Spanish...

In any case, I am very reluctant to sell any of my calculators, I feel they all are a small treasure for me.
04-16-2020, 03:56 PM
Wow this is very hard, I have a couple of books signed by their authors, very rare items, etc.
The rarest thing I have, I think, would be my working ZVC (Zeprom Voltage Converter).
What I am most proud to have acquired, is my extensive collection of original journals & books.
My most used HP calculator model is by far my HP-41C's (a distant second would be my HP-16C's).
04-16-2020, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2020 04:10 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
My most treasured HP collectible, for its rarity and value is for sure my HP-35 Red Dot. It took me 10 years to find an affordable one (57€ shipping included).

Then there is the 41C from my student years which still remains one of my favorite. I have now a whole family: 41CV, 41CX, 41CL and DM41X, plus a bunch of accessories and modules. The rarest being a Comsys bubble memory unit with an HP-IL interface, initially developed in Australia for the HP-71b. Unfortunately it's not working and I've not yet had enough spare time to work on it.

But I must say that in the past years the HP calculator I've used the most is the HP Prime. Not yet collectible but a fun and very powerful tool.
04-16-2020, 07:09 PM
Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of things - first, an autographed copy of Bill Wickes' "green book" from 1980; and second, a clear-plastic prototype SME Port-X-Tender from 1982.

Jake
04-16-2020, 07:41 PM
My would be my 48sx. I bought it just after graduating high school and starting college. Its one of the few things I have left from that long ago as most of my tools were stolen, I've replaced my computers, vehicles, furniture.
I've had it longer than my wife.
04-16-2020, 08:09 PM
My most treasured calculator is an HP-42S that was given to me by a friend who passed away a few years ago. Aside from the sentimental value, is is one of the finest calculators ever made by HP.
04-16-2020, 11:22 PM
My most treasured HP is my HP 50g because...
  • It is the first HP I have ever owned.
  • It got me into programming with its USER keyboard, CUSTOM menu, libraries, userRPL, sysRPL, & Debug4x. Makes me want to enter programming as a career.
  • It got me heavily interested in past HP calculators & my interest in collecting them.
  • It is a faithful companion throughout college.
04-17-2020, 01:10 AM
The First is my HP-15C that i bought new in around 1985. It got me through my BSEE and MSEE. It is still in very good condition. I could not afford an HP-41 back then but I sure wanted one.

My other one is an HP-42S that was given to me just a couple of weeks ago by a long-time coworker who just retired. It is in heavily used condition but was a very special gift.
04-17-2020, 02:44 AM
My dad's HP42S. He bought it when he started his business, and I wrote a bunch of programs for him --- he'd had an HP-41CV at his last job, but was more comfortable using other people's programs. It's on my desk at work, and gets used every day.

I've got lots of other toys --- err, HP calculators --- but I have a lot of sentimental value invested in this one.
04-17-2020, 02:44 PM
Most Treasured HP Collectible - 20200417

I think it's my second-hand (original) HP12C, in fine.
It's given a long way to come to this calculator.
For a scientific or a computer scientist, what to think of a calculator without dedicated index register, indirect arithmetic possibility and so on...
And in addition, on which certain keys are obviously not provided with functions: why so much waste?

However, this calculator is a very attractive machine, full of resources and which sticks to my current professional daily life.

In reality, I have a HP12C Platinum with me for its memory capacity which allows me to keep all my favorite programs at the same time in such a reduced volume and without having to re-enter them. (I just use the trick of GTO 001, GTO 002, GTO 003, GTO 004, etc and R/S before using this one or this other, with a corresponding dedicated GTO xxx on steps 001, 002, 003, 004, and so on.

Even, the HP12C wins hands down on the HP15C because of the built-in DATE functions which it lacks and take a lot of resources to reprogram them.
So, the HP12C Platinum is my current pocket calculator, which has embedded the most part of my favorites on this so tiny volume you know !!
04-17-2020, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2020 02:58 AM by BobVA.)
My sentimental favorite would the still-perfectly-working HP-15C I bought for grad school in '84. It saw a lot of use and never let me down, or even asked for a battery change.

But on my desk is an HP-25LP. It's not the same '25 that got me through college, but what it lacks in provenance it more than makes up for by doing everything I need doing these days (printing, alarm clock, continuous memory, basic engineering functions). And I think it's the coolest looking calculator HP ever made. It went from futuristic to retro-tacular with no stop at "dated." :-)

(Edit - corrected HP-25LE to LP)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)