How to export HP-41 programs to PC
02-26-2023, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2023 01:51 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
RE: How to export HP-41 programs to PC
(02-26-2023 12:25 PM)floppy Wrote:  To be verified if ilper connected to the virtual drive HDRIVE1.DAT allow a command of type "lifput" to access this file. If yes, it means an HP41 and a DM41X would access the same drive when both connected to a PC together (I have doubts. most likely, first the DM41X is connected to the PC, the HP41 and ilper are not started as long a lifput file access HDRIVE1.DAT).

DM41X does not support HP-IL.
When the DM41X share his Flash memory over USB has a disk drive, the 41 emulator part is suspended.
Is it not possible to have a two-way live communication between the 41 emulator and a program on a computer over USB.
Read DM41X manual, section 6.2. File menu.

edit: forgot to add the reply from part.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2023, 04:14 PM
(02-26-2023 01:35 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  When the DM41X share his Flash memory over USB has a disk drive, the 41 emulator part is suspended.
Is it not possible to have a two-way live communication between the 41 emulator and a program on a computer over USB.

Hi,

Yes, that is true, but (if I understand floppy's question) to some extent a "printer" could be used.
Unfortunately the DM41X printer emulation could have been a lot better, there is eg. no way to send an ESC-character to the printer (except eg. by setting bold or sending graphics). But it is impossible to send the ESC character followed by an arbitrary byte.

Otherwise this could have been used to send a "magic" ESC-string ("Hello Google") to set the printer (or in this case a Raspberry Pi) in "receive" mode, and then send eg. a complete program.

I could write a program (PRPX) that takes a program name as input, sends the graphics "\ESC\x02\ESC\xF2" to change "mode" on my emulated printer, and then the bytes of the program as hex-text over IR which the Raspberry Pi (with a connected RedEye interface) could receive and then save the bytes as a raw-file. That way we could easily send a complete program to the RPi, save it on eg. a virtual drive without connecting a USB-cable to the DM41X.

Of course there is a big drawback that the DM41X has no incoming interface, we can only send but never acknowledge to the calculator if the transmission was successful or not ... Tongue

Just my two cents ...

Cheers,
Thomas

[35/45/55/65/67/97/80 21/25/29C 31E/32E/33E|C/34C/38E 41C|CV|CX 71B 10C/11C/12C/15C|CE/16C 32S|SII/42S 28C|S 48GX/49G/50G 35S 41X]
02-28-2023, 11:29 AM
(05-05-2020 07:12 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  I would have used V41 R9D connected with ILPer or pyILPER over Virtual HP-IL. Then transfering the program from the LIF-file "inside" ILPer/pyILPer to the HP41 emulation and use "File/Put User Code..." on V41 to save a program in a RAW file.

My thoughts exactly, that's how I've always done it.

(05-05-2020 07:12 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  But be careful, V41 R9 allows to select and save more than one program into one RAW file. This is useful when a program may consists of more than one global label. Let's assume that you have two global labels called "A1" and "B1" and "A1" is calling "B1". So it would be nice to save both programs into one RAW file only. V41 R9 allows this like Emu42. But older versions of V41, R8 and before or implementations on other platforms can only read the first program of such a RAW file.

I wasn't aware of this new capability, I guess I should read the release notes more often!

Cheers,
ÁM

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
11-15-2023, 07:36 PM
(04-27-2020 04:17 PM)Drulli Wrote:  ...
I tried the following (HPIL Module, PILBOX and PC (ILPER, Dosbox installed)):
1. Hp41UC.exe program

The hp41UC conversion program complains, when I try to convert the HDRIVE1.date file.
hp41uc.exe /d=HDRIVE1.dat / t<=HDRIVE1.txt

(Error: invalid ASCII hex-digit in 4 byte header [60])
HDRIVE1.dat s an image file, with multiple files on it, not a single program file. I assume that is the reason.
Regarding HP41UC... The issue is that you're using "/d" (for DAT file format), when you should be using "/L" (for LIF format). basically, the .DAT file extension in the "HDRIVE1.dat" file is somewhat misleading, since that file is actually a LIF file.

Please try using: hp41uc.exe /l=HDRIVE1.dat /t=HDRIVE1.txt
(that will generate a text file without line numbers).

HTH,
Leo Duran

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)