Starburst character in the HP-41 TrueType font
04-30-2020, 03:58 PM
Starburst character in the HP-41 TrueType font
I am using the HP-41 LCD character font and cannot get the starburst (all segments on) character to display. How do I do it?

Looking with various font tools, in FontForge I can see it exists at position 255, but if I use that character in some example, it falls back to some standard font (showing 'y' with dots over it).

I am using SVG (scalable vector graphics) and try to show it in a web browser and convert it to pdf using Inkscape, same result.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2020, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2020 06:24 PM by Etienne Victoria.)
RE: Starburst character in the HP-41 TrueType font
Using the 41CHRSET ttf, I do get the starburst character on quite a bunch of codes, especially after the equal sign.

As per attached below

Are you using this font ? Or did I misunderstand your question??

Let me know.

Etienne

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.pdf  41CHRSET.pdf (Size: 92.58 KB / Downloads: 11)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2020, 06:35 PM
Just to clarify my post, by "I do get the starburst character", I mean typing the Alt key + the code on the numeric pad.

Hth

Etienne
05-01-2020, 03:47 PM
It may be a local problem. I use the extended variant with the lower case characters and had to fix the font in FontForge as macOS refuses to load it. The fixed font works fine, except for the starburst character is not displayed.

Is there a more recent version that works with macOS?
05-01-2020, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2020 04:48 PM by Etienne Victoria.)
Ok.

I use the original font provided by Luiz HERE.

As I only have fullnuts, I don't need or use the full lowercase set. Therefore, I have a handful of unused codes to generate the starburst.

FWIW, this version works up to my Catalina machine.

I understand you need the full lowercase set. Could you link me to your ttf so that I can try it on my Macs ?

I'm not aware of any upgraded/recent versions.

Etienne
05-01-2020, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2020 05:31 PM by Etienne Victoria.)
Alternatively, you could try the LCD4 font from Warren:

Here.

Alas, it does not have the whole set; the starburst is just after the goose :-)

And it works on my Catalina setup.

Etienne

EDIT: Sorry, it doesn't have the full set :-(

EDIT 2 : I know remember the discussion we had in 2007 on this topic. and the problems using the fonts with a Mac. Will try to dig out the other versions that could worK.
05-01-2020, 05:44 PM
(05-01-2020 04:43 PM)Etienne Victoria Wrote:  Ok.

I use the original font provided by Luiz HERE.

As I only have fullnuts, I don't need or use the full lowercase set. Therefore, I have a handful of unused codes to generate the starburst.

FWIW, this version works up to my Catalina machine.

I understand you need the full lowercase set. Could you link me to your ttf so that I can try it on my Macs ?

I'm not aware of any upgraded/recent versions.

Etienne

I tried the one you linked and it has severe problems according to Font Book.

The one I am using is here https://github.com/hth313/dbnut-ui/tree/master/font
This was fixed in FontForge as it suggested something was up with the commas and semicolons. I recall that I just loaded the font and allowed FontForge to fix it, then it worked on Mac. Now when I try to do the same I get no suggestions.

My Mac is using High Sierra.

I do not really need the lower case characters, but I thought it would be good to have them around. I use software that remaps characters, so the extended font can be used for both fullnut and halfnut emulation.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)