Help finding commands described in Insights book
05-06-2020, 09:55 PM
Help finding commands described in Insights book
At the start of the several "Insights" books, a notation for commands and keystroke sequences is described. In particular, it says there that "calculator commands ... are printed in helvetica [sic!] characters" and "keys are displayed ... surrounded by rectangular boxes" and that there is a special representation for operations "available in the various menus".

Are we meant to assume that if a command is shown in Helvetica, without a box or the special representation, it does not appear in any menu and must be typed in?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2020, 10:24 PM
RE: Help finding commands described in Insights book
Those are commands which may or may not be assigned to keys, so there are possibly multiple ways to enter that command; the different font is simply is to differentiate a bona-fide command name from a possibly descriptive word of similar meaning.

For example, SWAP is a command that could be entered by pressing the default keyboard command ([LS] [>] on a GX), or spelling it out in Alpha mode while on the command line, but this is not simply the word swap as used to describe an action 'I will swap this with that'.

If that is no help, do you have a specific example that's unclear?

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2020, 03:04 PM
(05-06-2020 10:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If that is no help, do you have a specific example that's unclear?

Sorry, I guess my question was unclear. I'm simply asking: When I see something like "... the basic command is DROP, which ..." (no box, no bars) should I assume it appears on no key or menu and must be typed in. Clearly not, since it also appears as both. (Actually it's more complicated than that, e.g. the various distinct MENU commands.)

So that leads to the sequel: Is there a list somewhere of commands that don't appear on any menu or key? I know I can look up individual commands in the reference, but that's not really a practical use case.
05-07-2020, 03:42 PM
(05-07-2020 03:04 PM)Orome Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 10:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If that is no help, do you have a specific example that's unclear?

Sorry, I guess my question was unclear. I'm simply asking: When I see something like "... the basic command is DROP, which ..." (no box, no bars) should I assume it appears on no key or menu and must be typed in. Clearly not, since it also appears as both. (Actually it's more complicated than that, e.g. the various distinct MENU commands.)

So that leads to the sequel: Is there a list somewhere of commands that don't appear on any menu or key? I know I can look up individual commands in the reference, but that's not really a practical use case.

Aha, yes that's more clear. I'm not aware of any list of commands that are not in either place, not even in the FAQ, so likely it doesn't exist. There definitely are some commands of that type though; the command list towards the end of the manual indicates for each such command "Must be typed in." Examples are FACT and CLVAR.

--Bob Prosperi
05-07-2020, 04:22 PM
On the 50g, all commands including CLVAR and FACT are listed in the catalog (CAT, right-shift P).
05-07-2020, 06:02 PM
(05-07-2020 04:22 PM)John Keith Wrote:  On the 50g, all commands including CLVAR and FACT are listed in the catalog (CAT, right-shift P).

The AUR says "Of the 818 commands, 808 are shown by CAT." (page I-1). The ones not in CAT are tagged with a "-" in the "H" column of Appendix I. Those commands are: *H, *W, CLUSR, GRAPH, GREY, LAST, LIMIT, SigmaX^2, SigmaX*Y, and SigmaY^2. All of these are aliases for other commands which are in CAT, except for GREY, which must be typed in.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
05-07-2020, 11:02 PM
(05-07-2020 06:02 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(05-07-2020 04:22 PM)John Keith Wrote:  On the 50g, all commands including CLVAR and FACT are listed in the catalog (CAT, right-shift P).

The AUR says "Of the 818 commands, 808 are shown by CAT." (page I-1). The ones not in CAT are tagged with a "-" in the "H" column of Appendix I. Those commands are: *H, *W, CLUSR, GRAPH, GREY, LAST, LIMIT, SigmaX^2, SigmaX*Y, and SigmaY^2. All of these are aliases for other commands which are in CAT, except for GREY, which must be typed in.

Joseph - Please tell me you had to look that up...

--Bob Prosperi
05-08-2020, 06:35 AM
(05-07-2020 11:02 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(05-07-2020 06:02 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  The AUR says "Of the 818 commands, 808 are shown by CAT." (page I-1). The ones not in CAT are tagged with a "-" in the "H" column of Appendix I. Those commands are: *H, *W, CLUSR, GRAPH, GREY, LAST, LIMIT, SigmaX^2, SigmaX*Y, and SigmaY^2. All of these are aliases for other commands which are in CAT, except for GREY, which must be typed in.

Joseph - Please tell me you had to look that up...

Yes, of course, but one never forgets one's own creations, so the AUR's Appendix I, as well as Appendix G and Appendix H, will always hold a special place in my heart. But I haven't memorized them yet. Big Grin

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
05-08-2020, 04:39 PM
(05-06-2020 09:55 PM)Orome Wrote:  Are we meant to assume that if a command is shown in Helvetica, without a box or the special representation, it does not appear in any menu and must be typed in?

No, a command shown in Helvetica capitals indicates just that - that it is a command. How you enter that command is separate.
05-08-2020, 04:42 PM
(05-08-2020 04:39 PM)BruceH Wrote:  No, a command shown in Helvetica capitals indicates just that - that it is a command. How you enter that command is separate.

Yes, did you read the rest of the question?
05-08-2020, 10:31 PM
(05-08-2020 04:42 PM)Orome Wrote:  
(05-08-2020 04:39 PM)BruceH Wrote:  No, a command shown in Helvetica capitals indicates just that - that it is a command. How you enter that command is separate.

Yes, did you read the rest of the question?

I quoted the question I answered. I don't understand what you mean by "...the rest of the question" - there is no "rest".

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)