About translation...
06-01-2020, 03:24 PM
About translation...
I was reading my french HP-42S owner manual to get some special information on memory usage with matrices, and I came accross a section (on p.270) about the best way to add a scalar to a matrix to preserve memory, with this sentence:
"... placez le scalaire dans le registre X. Puis, lorsque vous executerez [+], le scalaire (plus économe en mémoire) sera stocké dans le registre X et non dans la matrice".
that I can translate back to English as:
"... put the scalar in the X-register. Then when you execute [+], the scalar (which uses less memory) gets saved in the X-register rather than in the matrix"
I stared at this sentence for a while, then go back to the English edition and read:
"... put the scalar in the X-register. Then when you execute [+], the scalar (which uses less memory) gets saved in the LAST X register rather than the matrix"

traduttore, traditore.

J-F
[My french manual is ed.1, Juin 1988. Is there a newer, corrected french edition?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2020, 06:41 PM
RE: About translation...
(06-01-2020 03:24 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  "... put the scalar in the X-register. Then when you execute [+], the scalar (which uses less memory) gets saved in the LAST X register rather than the matrix"

traduttore, traditore.

LAST lost in translation. ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2020, 09:16 PM
There is a similar mistake in the German 32s manual. For the the m display test it asks to press "every" key 8 times. Which is incorrectly translated from "any" key
Find all posts by this user
06-04-2020, 12:17 AM
(06-03-2020 09:16 PM)Harald Wrote:  There is a similar mistake in the German 32s manual. For the the m display test it asks to press "every" key 8 times. Which is incorrectly translated from "any" key

It would take a while to press EVERY key eight times!

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)