CAS Debugger Not Working
06-18-2020, 08:44 PM
CAS Debugger Not Working
I have created several CAS programs to run on my calculators, but for some reason the CAS debugger only seems to work on the G2 calculator and not the G1 calculator. When I try to debug the CAS program on my G1 it erases everything on the calculator. I have tried resetting the calculator, reinstalling the firmware, and formatting the C drive. I am unsure if I somehow messed something up with my calculator or if there is some other limitation.

Even when the program is simple. I can run it just fine, but I cannot debug it in CAS without it resetting.

Code:
# cas
ABC():=
BEGIN
RETURN "Hello";
END;
#end

I also wanted to ask if there was a better or more accepted way to ask questions as they come up. Should I be posting on these forums or is it better to ask questions on the HP forum website?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2020, 08:59 PM
RE: CAS Debugger Not Working
Hi, Major.

Have you tried calling the DEBUG(); command inside the code as well?

I don't have a G1 unit so unfortunately I won't be able to replicate you issue, but anything you want to ask I'm sure there are several people here that want to help.
06-18-2020, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2020 09:55 PM by victorvbc.)
(06-18-2020 09:13 PM)Major Wrote:  I just tried calling debug within the program and it has the same problem. Crashes the G1/resets it and works fine on my G2 unit.

By the way smart idea, I never thought about calling the debug function to test subroutines or other functions that my main function depends on that is pretty cool.

Edit: And I found this from another thread called "Debugging With an Orange Bang" and mentioned in "HP-Prime: Documentation and Tutorials" that "Your program is a CAS program and unfortunately, the debugger does not really work with the CAS...". Maybe this is something they fixed in the G2?

This is my first time programming, and I have been programming on both calculators and the simulator to test speeds and differences. So it's possible I may have thought I debugged on the G1 before and was actually on the G2 or simulator and the CAS debugger was always like this. Although I think his debugger at least "worked" not crashed the calculator.

The debugger is supposed to work on CAS programs (I think), but it runs in the terminal instead of the nice interface it has for standard PPL. As far as I know there's no particular reason it shouldn't work on the G1 as long as the FW is up to date.

HP didn't stop rolling out updates for G1 models when the G2 was released.
06-20-2020, 08:07 PM
You should run debug(ABC()) from the CAS commandline.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)