New HP-41 Calculator Stand
06-08-2020, 10:25 PM
New HP-41 Calculator Stand
I have designed a 3D Printed stand for my HP-41 that I would like to share with anyone who is interested. It works well for Classics and Pioneers as well, even a DM42 or DM41X.

Here is a link to the model on thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4439055/files
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2020, 12:50 AM
RE: New HP-41 Calculator Stand
Thanks for sharing this!

Try CC41!
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2020, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2020 10:41 PM by Craig Bladow.)
Looks great!

Try CC41!
06-10-2020, 01:35 AM
Yes, thanks tw for creating and sharing this! A friend is making a couple for me now.

Looking at the recess for the pads, it appears to be sized for a 41, but the recess is clearly oversized for just that; which models did you use to define the sizing and geometry for the various calculator feet?

--Bob Prosperi
06-10-2020, 10:30 PM
(06-10-2020 01:35 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Yes, thanks tw for creating and sharing this! A friend is making a couple for me now.

Looking at the recess for the pads, it appears to be sized for a 41, but the recess is clearly oversized for just that; which models did you use to define the sizing and geometry for the various calculator feet?

I wish that I could impress you with some sort of grand plan but I am afraid that the only explanation for the vertical size of the recesses is laziness. My biggest concern was to prevent the calculator from slipping from side to side. I should have gone in and refined the model before publishing it. It would not be too difficult to make it fit a pioneer by making the lower recesses just a bit wider and adding another upper recess to accommodate the long "monofoot" on the top.

Stay tuned...
06-11-2020, 12:47 AM
(06-10-2020 10:30 PM)twoweims Wrote:  I wish that I could impress you with some sort of grand plan but I am afraid that the only explanation for the vertical size of the recesses is laziness. My biggest concern was to prevent the calculator from slipping from side to side. I should have gone in and refined the model before publishing it. It would not be too difficult to make it fit a pioneer by making the lower recesses just a bit wider and adding another upper recess to accommodate the long "monofoot" on the top.

Stay tuned...

Great news actually... this means the 2 being made now will become "rare, 1st generation models, only available for a limited time". You know how to please an obsessive collector. Smile

I imagine a 'SwissMicros Edition' version, that nicely accommodates the DM42/41X rubber feet would be popular as well....

--Bob Prosperi
06-11-2020, 08:26 PM
OK, Bob, You've shamed me into it...
I am printing a test model now that is designed to accommodate 41's, Pioneers, and DM42/41X. New Model should be on thingiverse tomorrow.
06-11-2020, 08:57 PM
(06-11-2020 08:26 PM)twoweims Wrote:  OK, Bob, You've shamed me into it...
I am printing a test model now that is designed to accommodate 41's, Pioneers, and DM42/41X. New Model should be on thingiverse tomorrow.

Hopefully there's no shame involved at all... quite the opposite, you're the one doing the work and enriching the community by sharing it! Big Grin

The flexibility for this new one sounds great, I am looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks again.

--Bob Prosperi
06-13-2020, 09:36 PM
(06-11-2020 08:57 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-11-2020 08:26 PM)twoweims Wrote:  OK, Bob, You've shamed me into it...

Hopefully there's no shame involved at all... quite the opposite, you're the one doing the work and enriching the community by sharing it! Big Grin

The flexibility for this new one sounds great, I am looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks again.

Ok. The modified model is up on Thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4439055

It is a bit longer so as to accommodate the position of the DM42/DM41X Feet.
It has recesses to match the feet of an HP-41, 67, Classic, Pioneer, and DM42/DM41X. I also modified it to print without supports.
06-14-2020, 01:09 AM
(06-13-2020 09:36 PM)twoweims Wrote:  Ok. The modified model is up on Thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4439055

It is a bit longer so as to accommodate the position of the DM42/DM41X Feet.
It has recesses to match the feet of an HP-41, 67, Classic, Pioneer, and DM42/DM41X. I also modified it to print without supports.

Nice!! Big Grin

Obviously much more flexible, the revised design of the lightening holes on the sides is more rakish, giving it a slightly meaner, more serious look, an improvement I appreciate.

I'm not real familiar with the 3D design and mfg. process; how can the portions suspended over air start to print with no integral supports?

I'll leave some feedback once I have some in use, but of course I can thank you now for this wonderful gift to the community.

A final question: AZGN ?

Thanks!

--Bob Prosperi
06-14-2020, 01:17 PM
(06-14-2020 01:09 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  A final question: AZGN ?

Thanks!

AZGN is an abbreviation for the name of our Sign & Engraving business.
AZ Graphix North.
06-14-2020, 03:39 PM
(06-14-2020 01:17 PM)twoweims Wrote:  
(06-14-2020 01:09 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  A final question: AZGN ?

Thanks!

AZGN is an abbreviation for the name of our Sign & Engraving business.
AZ Graphix North.

Oh... that AZGN! Wink

Thanks again tw.

--Bob Prosperi
07-18-2020, 02:13 AM
I've recently received a few of these great little 3D-printed calculator stands (the improved design), printed by a friend.

HP-41s, Spices, and DM42/DM41X machines all fit perfectly, without skidding, slipping, or moving around during use. I added small stick-on rubber feet to prevent the stand itself from slipping on the glass desktop.

If you only use HP-41 models, the original design works perfectly as well, but the improved design offers more model flexibility.

I've bought and collected stands for my HP machines since the late 70's, and these are better than any I've used over all these years.

Really nice work twoweims, thanks very much for creating and sharing these designs with the community. I'm pacing myself asking my friend to make more, I don't want to wear out my welcome. I'm thinking about having a set made w/each in a different color to have a rainbow effect.

Thanks twoweims!!

--Bob Prosperi
07-20-2020, 07:13 PM
Great work, I'll visit one of the 3d printing factories when I get home.

Cute dogs, Weimeraners?

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
07-20-2020, 11:02 PM
TW,
What type of filament and layer depth did you use to print the stand?

Try CC41!
07-21-2020, 01:44 AM
I have printed several using hatchbox wood PLA. That is what is shown on the thingiverse page. I have also printed some in PETG with great success. I printed them at 0.2mm layer height with a 0.4mm nozzle. Going down to 0.1mm layers would probably improve the surface finish on the gradually sloping top surface. But you don’t see that when a calculator is sitting on top...
08-31-2020, 02:47 PM
New HP-71B Calculator Stand
UPDATE: I have recently acquired an HP-71B for my collection so I had to make a stand for it...
It is based on my 41C Stand. Here is a link for anyone who may be interested.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4584602
09-02-2020, 02:44 AM
(08-31-2020 02:47 PM)twoweims Wrote:  UPDATE: I have recently acquired an HP-71B for my collection so I had to make a stand for it...
It is based on my 41C Stand. Here is a link for anyone who may be interested.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4584602

I see you've been busy again tw... Smile

This stand is awesome! Of course I'm highly biased because the 71B is my favorite machine, but I think I'd really like this even if I didn't. The only question I have is how many to make??

Here's a challenge for your design skills - a similar stand for the 71B that holds a PIL-Box under the stand, where your current design has the shelf for parts. This lets you move your 71 w/connecter PIL-Box around on the desk (or over to the bench, etc.) without having to undo all the cables.

I made such a 71B stand by carefully gluing together 2 of the vintage "CalConverter" adjustable calculator stands, and keep my PIL-Box in the the mostly hollow space under the upper surfaces. It can be easily slipped out when needed for use with a 41 or 75, but the 71B uses it for a vast majority of the time.

--Bob Prosperi
09-02-2020, 11:17 PM
Challenge accepted! In fact, I have been playing with a similar idea. I was going to try to build the PIL Box Board into the stand. Like this:

But, I like your suggestion that it be removable for other uses if desired. I have an idea... Stay tuned...

Here is another project I am working on. It is a case for the PIL-IO. I soldered sockets onto the prototype area of this Arduino board so that it plugs directly into the PIL-IO. It will eventually have a battery holder and a breadboard built in.

09-02-2020, 11:42 PM
I like your enthusiasm and taking up the challenge as intended!

For the PIL-Box, I'm not sure if this what you meant, but I think it would be best if the standard PIL-Box outer case/box could be accommodated. That obviously adds some height, maybe more than can be absorbed in the current design, but I'd say it's fine to let the PIL-Box just sit in a hollow under the stand, right on the desk underneath, if that simplifies the geometry, and the cables can be run through the holes on each side. I agree the angle for holding the 71B is important for comfortable use and the new design should not be forced to different angle/height to do this.

Project #2 looks interesting, I look forward to details when you're ready to share that.

Thanks tw!! Smile

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)