Change requests
12-18-2013, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 11:58 AM by BruceH.)
Change requests
A couple or three changes I'd like to see if at all possible:
  • Is it possible to have a threaded view in the main view as I often don't start reading a thread until after a few responses have been posted? I know there is a post count, but being able to see the names of the contributors is the key factor, really.
  • Can we have an equivalent to the "return to index" feature from the old forum down at the end of the page where the "next oldest" and "next newest" links are? Currently I find myself reading down to the end of the thread, then having to scroll back to the top in order to return to the index / main page. If I use 'back' on the browser then the threads are not marked as read so this becomes awkward as well.
  • Of course, if the forum software had an option to publish the forum as an Usenet/NNTP news feed then I'd be a happy bunny. ;-)

[Edit: I should add that the printable views are quite good in terms of reduced clutter - perhaps a way of making those the default?]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2013, 12:43 PM
RE: Change requests
+1 (if at all possible)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2013, 02:00 PM
+1 for the first two points.

d:-)
12-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Quote: Is it possible to have a threaded view in the main view as I often don't start reading a thread until after a few responses have been posted? I know there is a post count, but being able to see the names of the contributors is the key factor, really.

This might be a nice option to have, but it will make for a gigantic page just like the old forum. Also, I don't see any MyBB plug-in for this so Dave would have to hack up the code, something that he's stated elsewhere he doens't want to do.

Quote: Can we have an equivalent to the "return to index" feature from the old forum down at the end of the page where the "next oldest" and "next newest" links are? Currently I find myself reading down to the end of the thread, then having to scroll back to the top in order to return to the index / main page.

Look at the very bottom of the page there are "return to top" and "return to content" options there. They will get you to the top of the page, but not back to the index -- at least you don't have to scroll.

Quote: Of course, if the forum software had an option to publish the forum as an Usenet/NNTP news feed then I'd be a happy bunny. ;-)

There's an RSS feed option at the bottom of the page too. I haven't tried that yet.

-katie

12-18-2013, 09:27 PM
(12-18-2013 05:01 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  
Quote: Is it possible to have a threaded view in the main view as I often don't start reading a thread until after a few responses have been posted? I know there is a post count, but being able to see the names of the contributors is the key factor, really.

This might be a nice option to have, but it will make for a gigantic page just like the old forum. Also, I don't see any MyBB plug-in for this so Dave would have to hack up the code, something that he's stated elsewhere he doens't want to do.

I appreciate Dave won't want to do any coding. This page, as far as I can tell, purports to be a plug-in that provides a threaded view. I have no idea how to test it though.
http://www.phpkode.com/source/p/mybb-bul...thread.php
12-18-2013, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 10:17 PM by Dave Hicks.)
A few quick comments:

If you click on the post count for a thread, it opens a window that shows who has posted.

Another way to get back to the top quickly is the home key.

The link above points to one of the files in a slightly older version of the forum. It's unlikely that it does anything that the current version does not.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)