What are the tags after HP Prime model numbers? (i.e. #ABA, #B1S)
07-27-2020, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2020 08:41 PM by TheLastMillennial.)
What are the tags after HP Prime model numbers? (i.e. #ABA, #B1S)
I've seen a lot of confusion on the internet about the difference among 2AP18AA, 2AP18AA#ABA, and 2AP18AA#B1S. Although I know that they're all HP Prime G2s, I don't know what those tags mean. I only found one post that says the tags might indicate what country the calculator was meant to be sold in. I also saw someone say it might indicate the hardware revision.

I'd like to put the confusion to rest and I'm curious if there's a place that matches each tag to the country (or hardware revision) it specifies.

EDIT: The tags are the target Market
#ABA:
    Sold in the USA.
    Contains US warranty
    Contains US wall adapter
    Contains USB charging cable and calculator-to-calculator cable
#B1S:
    Sold in Europe
    Does NOT contain a wall adapter
    Contains USB charging cable and calculator-to-calculator cable

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2020, 05:59 PM
RE: What are the tags after HP Prime model numbers? (i.e. #ABA, #B1S)
It's basically the SKU I think. Different territories have different packaging, and sometimes different contents. (For example, the North American HP Prime G2 is supplied with a charger, whereas the European is only supplied with a USB cable, I think.)

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
07-27-2020, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 07:21 PM by TheLastMillennial.)
(07-27-2020 05:59 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  It's basically the SKU I think. Different territories have different packaging, and sometimes different contents. (For example, the North American HP Prime G2 is supplied with a charger, whereas the European is only supplied with a USB cable, I think.)
OK, that make sense! I looked back and saw mine from the Netherlands was a #B1S and it only came with a USB cable. The HP Prime on BestBuy in the USA is always #ABA and, like you said, it comes with a US wall adapter. Are there any other tags I haven't mentioned? Is there a special one for China like TI does?

Cemetech | YouTube
07-27-2020, 09:12 PM
HPʻs 3-character designators
Yes, HP has many country kits. The 3-character codes align with documentation and power cords for a number of different places around the world.
07-27-2020, 09:28 PM
The codes specify which Market the device is sold to (by HP) and theoretically from (to a consumer). Market is specifically separate from country as it seems there are some countries with multiple markets (?) and also some markets with multiple countries (e.g. EU).

ABA indeed means USA, but the list is not fixed/permanent as Markets vary both by product and over time. If you exercise Google's search, you can find lists published, and for Large markets, the codes do not vary much, but the best such a list can claim is that it was correct for that product at that time.

Folks have noted that the contents of an product's package can vary, but probably more importantly, the WARRANTIES are also only supported in the country where that device was sold initially (i.e. by HP to dealer or distributor). So the folks IN USA that bought a Prime G2 from the dealer in the Netherlands would not be able to have their device serviced in USA, that could only be done in the Market it was from.

Also note the Market is also somehow supposed to be encoded in the unit's serial number, though I've seen any explanation of how that works.

The good news is these are pretty reliable so few ever need service, and even fewer in the first year when the warranty matters.

--Bob Prosperi
07-28-2020, 06:04 AM
The language and package design also vary.
The French version has (had?) a French flag with the mention of the “Ministère de l’éducation nationale” to show it complies with exam mode requirements.

Thibault - not collector but in love with the few HP models I own - Also musician : http://walruspark.co
07-29-2020, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2020 08:46 PM by TheLastMillennial.)
Quote:If you exercise Google's search, you can find lists published, and for Large markets, the codes do not vary much, but the best such a list can claim is that it was correct for that product at that time.
I tried to look this up but I couldn't find anything remotely useful or the same as the codes used on the Prime.

pinkman: Does HP use the same code for slightly different markets? I only see #B1S on amazon.fr so I'm a bit uncertain.

Cemetech | YouTube
07-30-2020, 12:40 AM
(07-29-2020 08:46 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  
Quote:If you exercise Google's search, you can find lists published, and for Large markets, the codes do not vary much, but the best such a list can claim is that it was correct for that product at that time.
I tried to look this up but I couldn't find anything remotely useful or the same as the codes used on the Prime.

pinkman: Does HP use the same code for slightly different markets? I only see #B1S on amazon.fr so I'm a bit uncertain.

Here's an example:

https://www.fixya.com/support/t6382274-list

But despite what it says here, keep in mind that there can also be differences in the codes for the same product, in the same market, but with different options (frequently locale-related), as discussed here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-A...d-p/972145

--Bob Prosperi
07-30-2020, 03:18 PM
(07-29-2020 08:46 PM)TheLastMillennial Wrote:  pinkman: Does HP use the same code for slightly different markets? I only see #B1S on amazon.fr so I'm a bit uncertain.

I don’t know. Maybe there are codes for the hardware (mainly Europe for France), and other codes for the packaging.
I bought mine from Tim in the classified version, without any packaging.

Thibault - not collector but in love with the few HP models I own - Also musician : http://walruspark.co
07-31-2020, 12:01 AM
HPʻs 3-character designators
Yes, HP has many country kits. The 3-character codes align with documentation and power cords for a number of different places around the world.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)