[WP34s] Unexpected results in fraction mode
06-14-2014, 06:48 AM
RE: [WP34s] Unexpected results in fraction mode
(06-13-2014 11:30 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(06-13-2014 11:09 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Let me see if I understand correctly what you mean. The user should visit the sourceforge website and continue to the "files" section where he will find files of an outdated software version. Here he will also find an outdated manual. Now he is supposed to read through that manual to page 140++ where he will finally find a link to the recent software. Yes?

Apart from all this: even the procedure above does not explain why the project's "files" page offers long outdated versions for download. And why there is a link to mysamba.exe claiming to lead to the "latest version". Is this really that hard to fix?

Things are simpler than you think. The user should get a manual whatever version (s)he prefers. Assume (s)he knows what a TOC is. Then (s)he shall simply use his/her brains (assume ... Wink) and (s)he shall land in App. A, start reading and find the information on the very first page. Since I wanted to help my counterpart to climb those steep steps I gave him a choice of page numbers (being a bit ... hmmh ... parsimonious he may not have a printed edition). So much about the manual which is my responsibility.

What's a TOC?

Earlier appearance of RTFM also baffling. In general IHTWAs.

I've tried to find information at Source Forge on WP 34S & usually end up going around in circles.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2014, 07:54 AM
(06-14-2014 06:48 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  
(06-13-2014 11:30 PM)walter b Wrote:  The user should get a manual whatever version (s)he prefers. Assume (s)he knows what a TOC is. Then (s)he shall simply use his/her brains (assume ... Wink) and (s)he shall land in App. A, start reading and find the information on the very first page. ... So much about the manual which is my responsibility.

What's a TOC?

Earlier appearance of RTFM also baffling. In general IHTWAs.

I've tried to find information at Source Forge on WP 34S & usually end up going around in circles.

TOC = Table Of Content(s)

I don't find IHTWA - please enlighten me. TIA

About finding information at SF about WP 34S: SF isn't built for this job - it's a repository. Looking for information, please turn to the manual (whatever edition you get). If you don't find the info therein, turn to us. Until now, I'm adding bits to the current manual (v3.3) triggered by your questions every once and a while and you'll get all that with the spiral bounds.

d:-)
06-14-2014, 09:10 AM
(06-13-2014 09:46 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Yes – if you know where to find them.

Let's face it: the average user that is new to the project will never find the most recent version, ...

You are right. The main reason behind this that I update the release package only when we decide we have a stable version. This is all manual work and therefore not done too often.

The bogus link to the "latest version" is an SF artifact. I just forgot to mark the release files as the default download. This info is lost after an update and needs to be added manually.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
06-14-2014, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2014 03:36 PM by pito.)
(06-14-2014 09:10 AM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  
(06-13-2014 09:46 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Yes – if you know where to find them.
Let's face it: the average user that is new to the project will never find the most recent version, ...
I am such an user.. I found the trunk, the svn checkouts the "34s trunk" only, so you have to copy few *.cmd files manually. The SF "how to" wiki needs an update (and all recent posts on the build "how to" are obsolete), otherwise I was able to build the latest rev of the emulator (with Marcus' few kind hints). My latest emulator build (r3668) shows the fraction issue has been fixed somehow. Now coping with the real build..
PS: I can checkout the complete tree now, the build of the calc binaries works too..

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)