3d print HP41C/V plastic shell and keys?
08-05-2020, 02:16 PM
3d print HP41C/V plastic shell and keys?
Has anyone ever found a .STL 3d file for printing a "new" case?

If not, does anyone have a (detailed) dimensioned drawing that I could use to make a 3d model?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2020, 05:00 PM
RE: 3d print HP41C/V plastic shell and keys?
There's this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VQuzIk3...sp=sharing
08-14-2020, 12:11 PM
I decided to do it myself. My goal here is to be able to 3D print a new case that will hold the existing circuit boards/etc. Long-term is to add a new battery pack that will use rechargeable batteries and a modern AC adapter.

This is mostly to scale (using my own HP41CV as reference). If i had drawing dimensions of the insides - or better pictures - I'd be much further along. Some minor editing to allow for better printing (reducing very thin surfaces like those between the modules on the back), and some reduction in detail (just for ease of design at this time).

Any comments/etc, appreciated.

[Image: HP41CV_zpshn5q3kjb.jpg.html]
08-15-2020, 08:24 PM
Interesting project!
Which material are you planning to use (PLA, ABS, other) and which 3D printer?
08-15-2020, 08:39 PM
Also what CAD tool?

The NP-25 keyboard key legends were not very well defined when printed with a 0.4 mm nozzle. A resin printer or a smaller nozzle (0.2 mm was recommended ) should be able to do a better job.

Some 3D FDM machines have the capability to switch between filaments on the fly which would allow for high contrast, long lasting key legends as HP produced with their 'double shot' keys.

Try CC41!
08-17-2020, 11:57 AM
I'm also interested by a 3D model of HP41, to replace some deffective case I have.
@Dave Frederickson your file is fine but it's in easm format and it's only possible to view it. Do you have another format?
Thank you
08-17-2020, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2020 12:14 PM by anetzer.)
(08-17-2020 11:57 AM)gege Wrote:  I'm also interested by a 3D model of HP41, to replace some deffective case I have.
@Dave Frederickson your file is fine but it's in easm format and it's only possible to view it. Do you have another format?
Thank you

Hi,

Quick research shows that some programs would be able to convert that format, e.g. Soldworks or eDrawings. If someone here has access to such a packet, they could post a converted .stl file.

I am however not very optimistic as to stiffness and durability of a 3D-printed case, even if the necessary resolution might be achieved. Especially with the pressure needed on the zebra connector. I've also noticed that 3D prints naturally suffer severely from higher temperatures.

And I won't start dreaming of someone coming up with a batch of HP-41 cases 3D-printed in metal...
08-17-2020, 02:54 PM
(08-17-2020 11:57 AM)gege Wrote:  I'm also interested by a 3D model of HP41, to replace some deffective case I have.
Thank you

No I don't. I found the file on the web, maybe on this site years ago.
08-18-2020, 06:13 AM
I found the source, I sent an email to request the files in another format.
08-18-2020, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2020 01:58 PM by Jean-Michel.)
Hello

I am the owner of this little website and the creator of these 3D files of the HP-41.
Unfortunately, despite the fact that the outer geometry of the casing is well reproduced in my CAD model, the inner geometry is fully missing.
At the time I made this 3D model, my goal was only to reproduce the outer geometry of the calculator, skin and color included.
The 3D printing technology was not as common as today at this time, and I had no idea to make an accurate model of the various parts so that they could be used for 3D printing.
Native 3D files (parts and assembly) are made with the software SolidWorks (I don't remember which version though).

Kind regards.
08-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Thank you for your answer Jean-Michel.
I found douze-bis convert it to blender.
And I can import it to Fusion 360 to edit it.
(must be splited into multipart to be able to modify it, because to many facets)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)