HP50g ROM Upgrade / Downgrade Question
08-27-2020, 07:37 PM
HP50g ROM Upgrade / Downgrade Question
I'm currently on ROM 2.09 and believe I may see some benefit from upgrading to 2.15. I'm aware of the IFTE bug (although perhaps there's a workaround) but I rarely, if ever, plot anything on the calculator. So it's not a big concern.

That being said, is it easy/simple to flash back and forth from one ROM to another? Anything I should be aware of? Obviously backing up the HOME menu and Libraries is a must. Anything else?

Thank you for your help!

Thanks!

-Matt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2020, 11:09 PM
RE: HP50g ROM Upgrade / Downgrade Question
I consider myself as a rookie of the HP50g.
Using a 2Gb SD card I did not have any trouble upgrading to 2.15, but did not try to downgrade. Not a problem if you want me to try, let me know.
The upgrade did not erase the Home content.

Thibault - not collector but in love with the few HP models I own - Also musician : http://walruspark.co
08-27-2020, 11:11 PM
(08-27-2020 07:37 PM)MattGreer Wrote:  I'm currently on ROM 2.09 and believe I may see some benefit from upgrading to 2.15. I'm aware of the IFTE bug (although perhaps there's a workaround) but I rarely, if ever, plot anything on the calculator. So it's not a big concern.

That being said, is it easy/simple to flash back and forth from one ROM to another? Anything I should be aware of? Obviously backing up the HOME menu and Libraries is a must. Anything else?

Thank you for your help!

No it's very quick and easy, just follow the instructions and upgrade using an SD Card; the .zip pkg can be found here with the PDF instructions:

https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7097

And while of course you should back-up first, I've never encountered problems doing the upgrade. Less than 5 minutes from start to end.

Good luck and please report success or issues.

--Bob Prosperi
08-27-2020, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the response! I found some additional posts about the IFTE bug and how to work around it should it ever be an issue, which I really, really think it won't.

I figured out how to back up the HOME menu, so that's done, and libraries can be easily reinstalled so that's no problem either I figure.

Thanks!

Thanks!

-Matt
08-28-2020, 12:25 AM
Funny coincidence, I decided to start using my 50G again after a very long hiatus. I upgraded from 2.05 to 2.15, then back down to 2.10, all with the Connectivity Kit and Win 10. No problems, no data lost. Although the bit about holding [+] and [-] simultaneously, while pressing RESET in, is a bit of a gyration.

I downgraded from 2.15 to 2.10 to get rid of the SmartStream (StreamSmart?) app that automatically installs with 2.15. According to the description at hpcalc.org, the only difference between 2.10 and 2.15 is that app. But really, I need to learn how to delete apps ...
08-28-2020, 01:55 AM
(08-28-2020 12:25 AM)0db Wrote:  Funny coincidence, I decided to start using my 50G again after a very long hiatus. I upgraded from 2.05 to 2.15, then back down to 2.10, all with the Connectivity Kit and Win 10. No problems, no data lost. Although the bit about holding [+] and [-] simultaneously, while pressing RESET in, is a bit of a gyration.

I downgraded from 2.15 to 2.10 to get rid of the SmartStream (StreamSmart?) app that automatically installs with 2.15. According to the description at hpcalc.org, the only difference between 2.10 and 2.15 is that app. But really, I need to learn how to delete apps ...

There were several other small bugs fixed in the final release (2.15) which were not public IIRC. But the primary reason to use 2.15 is that the VAST majority of users, that actually use their 50g, are using this ROM version, so it's best to be compatible when sharing programs or seeking advice/assistance.

As for SmartStream being present, it does not interfere with anything else, and is only accessible from the App menu, so just ignore it. There is no benefit to having the version without it, you don't gain any RAM space, etc.

Also note that you will find references to ROM version 2.16 in various places; ROM v2.16 is intended ONLY for emulators, and is functionally equivalent to 2.15 for real hardware units.

--Bob Prosperi
08-28-2020, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the clarification & additional description. Makes sense to me to go back to 2.15, obviously, particularly if there were other bug fixes. Still, that entry in the APPS menu bugs me. The documentation for Appsman by Rautenberg and Dominic states it has been tested on the 49+; should work on the 50g as well? We'll find out.
08-28-2020, 06:20 AM
(08-28-2020 12:25 AM)0db Wrote:  Funny coincidence, I decided to start using my 50G again after a very long hiatus. I upgraded from 2.05 to 2.15, then back down to 2.10, all with the Connectivity Kit and Win 10. No problems, no data lost. Although the bit about holding [+] and [-] simultaneously, while pressing RESET in, is a bit of a gyration.

I'm curious how you got this to work. AFAIK you can't install the (unsigned) driver for the HP-50g on Win10. I would love to get this working for mine if there's a workaround...
08-28-2020, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2020 07:29 AM by ijabbott.)
(08-28-2020 06:20 AM)0culus Wrote:  

I'm curious how you got this to work. AFAIK you can't install the (unsigned) driver for the HP-50g on Win10. I would love to get this working for mine if there's a workaround...

You can put Windows into a mode where it will "disable driver signature enforcement" on the next boot, allowing the installation of unsigned drivers. The mode persists until the next boot after that, but the previously installed drivers will still work.

— Ian Abbott
08-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Search for "HP 50g Connectivity Kit on Windows 10". I used the instructions at https://sgss.ca/files/Conn4x_Win10_Setup.pdf. There are also a few YouTube videos which show the process, if you prefer.
08-28-2020, 06:16 PM
(08-28-2020 01:55 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  

There were several other small bugs fixed in the final release (2.15) which were not public IIRC. But the primary reason to use 2.15 is that the VAST majority of users, that actually use their 50g, are using this ROM version, so it's best to be compatible when sharing programs or seeking advice/assistance.

As for SmartStream being present, it does not interfere with anything else, and is only accessible from the App menu, so just ignore it. There is no benefit to having the version without it, you don't gain any RAM space, etc.

Also note that you will find references to ROM version 2.16 in various places; ROM v2.16 is intended ONLY for emulators, and is functionally equivalent to 2.15 for real hardware units.

Didn't 2.15 remove the Geometry App?
08-28-2020, 07:29 PM
(08-28-2020 06:16 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  Didn't 2.15 remove the Geometry App?

I do not even recall there ever being a Geometry App in the 50g. I don't see one (in the APPS menu I assume) there now, but in truth I would have never used it, so it's possible one was in there long ago and I never noticed it. I don't see mention of it in the UG, UM or AUR. Sorry I can't answer that for sure.

--Bob Prosperi
08-29-2020, 09:40 AM
In the last paragraph of section HP 49G in

https://www.wikizero.com/en/HP_50g

there is mention of „an interactive geometry program”

This link

http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/#hpgeo

from the horse’s mouth & from the same author description of Geometry App’s capabilities

http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~pari...apes49.pdf
08-29-2020, 10:26 AM
See John H Meyers comment in this discussion:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.hp4...5ri0?pli=1
08-29-2020, 01:48 PM
(08-29-2020 10:26 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  See John H Meyers comment in this discussion:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.hp4...5ri0?pli=1

I'd honestly forgotten about that whole debacle with the unofficial releases, spreadsheet-like app, etc. Good google kung-fu here Gerald. So, in a way I guess it's correct that 2.15 removed those features, but since it was never officially "in", I'm not sure it matters. I miss John Meyers' pointed and always informative contributions.

--Bob Prosperi
08-30-2020, 12:35 PM
I also miss John Meyers' pointed & often insightful contributions. Does anyone know what has happened to John & why he no longer participates in these forums?

Cheers,

Michael
08-30-2020, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2020 01:35 PM by rprosperi.)
(08-30-2020 12:35 PM)Michael Lopez Wrote:  I also miss John Meyers' pointed & often insightful contributions. Does anyone know what has happened to John & why he no longer participates in these forums?

Cheers,

Michael

It was reported here about 2.5 years ago that a John Meyers, from the same city 'our' John Meyers lived in, had passed away. No one here is 100% sure it's the same person, but it seems likely this is the case.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-79...l#pid91620

--Bob Prosperi
09-01-2020, 01:53 AM
(08-28-2020 12:29 PM)0db Wrote:  Search for "HP 50g Connectivity Kit on Windows 10". I used the instructions at https://sgss.ca/files/Conn4x_Win10_Setup.pdf. There are also a few YouTube videos which show the process, if you prefer.

Thanks, I was able to get it working. I'm debating whether to attempt a firmware upgrade. I'm leaning towards not, as I have no issues with the one that's on it (which is whatever it shipped with; I never touched this in all my years of using it for school).
09-01-2020, 09:38 AM
(08-30-2020 01:19 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-30-2020 12:35 PM)Michael Lopez Wrote:  I also miss John Meyers' pointed & often insightful contributions. Does anyone know what has happened to John & why he no longer participates in these forums?

Cheers,

Michael

It was reported here about 2.5 years ago that a John Meyers, from the same city 'our' John Meyers lived in, had passed away. No one here is 100% sure it's the same person, but it seems likely this is the case.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7955-post-

91620.html#pid91620

Thanks Bob & feared this might be the case :-( .

Cheers,

Michael

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)