HPCC and HHC announcement of online conference
08-29-2020, 11:44 PM
HPCC and HHC announcement of online conference
As has been announced on the forum in previous years, the British HP club, HPCC will again hold a Mini-Conference in 2020. Due to the coronavirus pandemic this will be held online via Webex. The club has been holding online meetings successfully using Webex twice a month with attendees from Britain, Europe and America, and is confident that an online conference will work using the same format.

The HHC organising committee have decided against holding a conference in 2020 and to support the HPCC conference, encouraging people who wish to attend an online version of HHC to take part in it. We understand that the HHC mailing list is being fixed and will be working again soon.

The meeting will be on Saturday 10 October 2020 from 3pm to 10pm BST (GMT+1) (16:00 to 23:00 in Central Europe, 9am to 6pm US Central Time), to allow people in Europe and in the Americas to participate. HPCC members and guests will be welcome. If you wish to attend please email the conference organisers (conference at hpcc dot uk).

The HPCC club committee invite offers of presentations from members and guests. If you would like to make a presentation, please email the same address as above by Monday 7 September.

It is planned that most presentations should each last roughly 30 minutes, followed by 15 minutes for questions and answers, and then a 15-minute break. If there are enough offers, the meeting could be extended to the same times on Sunday. One or more separate threads will be available for people who wish to skip a presentation and talk informally. We have received an offer to live stream the meeting on YouTube, which means that people can watch it without participating, or at a later time.

Further details are available on the HPCC club website hpcc.org/conferences and will be updated.

Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz and Gene Wright on behalf of the HPCC and HHC committees.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2020, 12:57 AM
RE: HPCC and HHC announcement of online conference
Many thanks to Wlodek and HPCC. Let's make this a highlight of the year.
08-31-2020, 04:33 PM
While I will greatly miss the opportunity to meet and chat with many old friends both between sessions and at meals as well as the wonderful door prizes and other activities, I have to give the most sincere kudos and thanks to Wlodek, Gene and all who are making this possible. While I've jokingly referred to my pilgrimages to HHCs in the past as my only chance to be surrounded by folks who are even nerdier than I am, the quality of information, the folks themselves and the entire event has always been a delight. Thank you, and best to all!

So many signals, so little bandwidth!
09-09-2020, 12:52 PM
(08-29-2020 11:44 PM)Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz Wrote:  We have received an offer to live stream the meeting on YouTube, which means that people can watch it.

Using YouTube is most welcome news as it caters for a wider audience who just want to watch without overwhelming the interactive conference system. YT also allows for a streaming text chat, which may allow some of the wider audience a chance to ask questions to be answered too.
09-09-2020, 04:22 PM
(09-09-2020 12:52 PM)deffunc Wrote:  YT also allows for a streaming text chat, which may allow some of the wider audience a chance to ask questions to be answered too.

That would be most welcome. I do not plan to join the formal conference but I will watch most or all of it on the YouTube channel.
09-14-2020, 01:04 AM
Either by YouTube or by Webex, please join us. Special thanks to the HPCC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-14-2020, 03:20 AM
midnight through 7am here.

I'm willing to make an effort but a lot depends on how the day before went.

Pauli
09-14-2020, 04:54 AM
YouTube for me also, because I won’t be able to follow the entire meeting via webex. Thanks to you all for organizing the conference.

Thibault - not collector but in love with the few HP models I own - Also musician : http://walruspark.co
09-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Nice! Should I sign in as a viewer? Otherwise I would be honoured to follow on youtube

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-29-2020, 05:53 PM
Due to ongoing projects, and with the U.S. HHC cancelled, I'll have to catch up on the YouTube recordings. I will greatly miss HHC this year. Thanks to the folks putting on the HPCC via Webex. The speaker list looks remarkable!
10-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Does anyone have info on the YouTube live stream? I signed up for the new HHC mailing list and it seemed to be working but I haven't received any messages in the last several weeks.

Thanks,
John
10-09-2020, 01:35 PM
(10-09-2020 01:20 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Does anyone have info on the YouTube live stream? I signed up for the new HHC mailing list and it seemed to be working but I haven't received any messages in the last several weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dise2HRakZ4
10-10-2020, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2020 01:22 PM by Maxdao.)
Looks like the Youtube stream is frozen right now (just to let you know)

Edit : working now
10-10-2020, 09:26 PM
It was my first HPCC/HHC. I enjoyed the conference and seeing you live on TV while doing some stuff at home. Had fun with the worst HP calcs! Thank you for your presentations and the organisation of the event!

Ramón
Valladolid, Spain
TI-50, Casio fx-180P, HP48GX, HP50g, HP Prime G2
10-11-2020, 01:19 AM
Hello!

Can I send a video to you?

I need to do also captions, due of my broken English:-)

But this is easy to me.

Carlos - Brazil
Time Zone: GMT -3
http://area48.com
10-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Many thanks to the organisers and the presenters!

For me webex exploded only a little way in so I skipped out to YouTube. It was very handy to have that alternative, and useful to be able to catch up by running at faster than normal speed.
10-11-2020, 09:05 PM
Is there an index of what is on when?
I can't watch it all.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
10-11-2020, 09:40 PM
(10-11-2020 09:05 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Is there an index of what is on when?
I can't watch it all.

The timetable is on the HPCC website and the event ran to time so you can just add up the durations to work out how far to jump through. (Don't forget that the event started an hour in advance of the presentations to allow people to join and chat first. I think the livestream might have started 5 - 10 minutes in i.e. the first presentation starts 50 minutes in.)

http://www.hpcc.org/conferences/index.html
10-11-2020, 10:18 PM
(10-11-2020 09:05 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  I can't watch it all.

YouTube Settings -> Playback Speed -> 2

No, the presenters don't sound like they've been breathing helium.
10-11-2020, 10:35 PM
You can also watch the individual talks as separate videos on my YouTube channel. These should have somewhat higher fidelity than the livestream, too:

1. Eric Rechlin - What's on the HHC/HPCC 2020 USB Drive
  2. Jake Schwartz - What's New in the PPC Archive
  3. Bob Prosperi - SwissMicros DM41X - A little late, a lot better
  4. Eric Hazen - The Retro-25 DIY Calculators
  5. Michael Park - MP-29 Tactile Touchscreen Calculator
  6. Mark Power - What's New in G2
  7. Sylvain Cote - Diego's HP-41 Modules (Clonix and NoV)
  8. Eddie Shore - Computer Algebra Systems (CAS) and Calculators
  9. Gene Wright and Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz - HP's Worst Calculators
  10. Godwin Stewart - DMConnect
  11. Will Marchant - DM16 in a Satellite Launch Campaign

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)