New HHC Email List – Please sign up to receive information about the HHC conferences
08-30-2020, 05:58 PM
New HHC Email List – Please sign up to receive information about the HHC conferences
A new HHC email list, which you can subscribe to, has been created to replace the now-defunct old list. The original list server has been removed, due primarily to ever-changing and increasingly more sophisticated email handling requirements (mostly because of SPAM, abuse, etc.) and the original member list has unfortunately been lost.

To subscribe:

Send an email to hhc-conf+subscribe@googlegroups.com. No special subject or content is required.

You should quickly receive a reply, confirming your request has been received, and requesting you to click a button in the message to “Join This Group”. This step is to confirm your proper email address was received and the mail system can reach you. If you have not received one of these messages within 24 hours (please check your spam/junk folders) then you probably mistyped the address, or the system cannot reach your address for some other unusual reason. Please try sending a message to that address again.

After you click the Join button, your request will go to a queue as a confirmed application to join. A moderator will check these periodically and approve your membership, after which you should receive a message confirming membership, including a link to visit the group, which you are welcome to do, but note that there is nothing “in the group” to visit except older messages.

Notes:

1. You do NOT need to have a Google account to join the mail list

2. You DO need to have a Google account, and be signed-in, to visit the group (this is a normal Google group), but there is currently no plan to host files or other content in the group; current plans are to utilize the group only as a managed email list. (FYI - you can create a google account using any email address, it does NOT have to be a gmail address)

3. For now, the only reason to visit the group is to see prior messages you may have missed

4. If you have attended a prior HHC conference you will probably receive one or more messages, similar to this one, asking you to join the new group. If you’ve already joined at that time (e.g. upon seeing this post), there is no need to sign-up again.

5. Initially, there will be many folks joining, so we’ll be checking the application queue often, but that will eventually slow down and we’ll stop checking as often. If you’ve done all the needed steps and have not received confirmation of joining for several days, please feel free to post a note here on the MoHPC Forum in this same thread.

6. This list is only for HHC Conference announcements and related discussions. It is NOT for selling or buying, technical calculator discussions, inquiring how to calculate PI in base 13 using continued fractions, or any other topics. Members abusing the list for unintended uses will be removed from the list.

Many, many thanks to Eric Smith for hosting the old service for so many years, and for creating this new group!!

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2020, 07:37 PM
RE: New HHC Email List – Please sign up to receive information about the HHC conferences
Done!
08-30-2020, 07:43 PM
RE: New HHC Email List – Please sign up to receive information about the HHC conf.
Done

Günter
08-30-2020, 11:36 PM
RE: New HHC Email List – Please sign up to receive information about the HHC conferences
Done!

Thanks!

-Matt
08-31-2020, 09:36 PM
Done!

GIANCARLO
09-01-2020, 01:03 AM
Done!
09-01-2020, 08:23 AM
Done too!

Vincent
09-01-2020, 11:44 PM
I've signed up and am receiving messages.

Try CC41!
09-02-2020, 10:22 PM
I signed up (with a 'new' email address) but have not been approved (my subscription request is pending). From a few days ago, Sunday, August 30, 2020 3:00 PM [EDT].

I have gotten a few messages from the group (Günter's "Does it work?" thread), but received these on my 'old' email address --the email address I used for the previous list-- and I am unable to access any activity via the Group's web site.

It's probably just me, and I don't want to complain... but here I am. Let me know what I have done wrong, and I will try to do better next time.

Also, many thanks to Eric for keeping the previous list up and running for all those years. And many thanks to those who have come up with this new way of doing things.
09-03-2020, 05:49 PM
I sent the email to join and received the confirmation email, but when I click the "Join this group" button, it takes me to https://groups.google.com/g/hhc-conf where it says "You don't have permission to access this content."

I haven't received any emails to the list.

Am i doing something wrong?

Dave
09-03-2020, 06:00 PM
(09-03-2020 05:49 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  I sent the email to join and received the confirmation email, but when I click the "Join this group" button, it takes me to https://groups.google.com/g/hhc-conf where it says "You don't have permission to access this content."

Dave

This is fast-becomming a common question.

This email list was created using the Google Groups feature, often intended to be used like a traditional usenet group, also also retaining histories of old threads, etc. We (HHC) only plan to use it as a simple managed email list.

To simply RECEIVE the group emails, you do not need to sign-in to the group, the messages will just come to you.

To use "group features" (e.g. see a history of prior messages/threads, etc.) you need to sign-in to the group, which requires a Google account (not necessarily a gmail account, a google account can be created with any email address).

In order to be able to click on the links in the messages you receive to access the group, your google account must have the same email address as you used to join the list.

Hope that helps

--Bob Prosperi
09-04-2020, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2020 09:36 AM by EdS2.)
Just to note: Bob sent out a message to the list about 11 hours ago (at time of writing) so anyone who missed that might have reason to raise a query (or a reason to check their spam filters). Hopefully everyone who believes they signed up did see it:
Code:
Subject: [HHC-Conf] HPCC / HHC Virtual Conference on October 10th
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 17:55:24 -0400
Mailing-list: list hhc-conf@googlegroups.com; contact hhc-conf+owners@googlegroups.com
List-ID: <hhc-conf.googlegroups.com>
09-06-2020, 07:45 PM
(09-03-2020 05:49 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  I sent the email to join and received the confirmation email, but when I click the "Join this group" button, it takes me to https://groups.google.com/g/hhc-conf where it says "You don't have permission to access this content."

Dave

I'm experiencing the same problem. When I click on "Join this group" I get :

"You don't have permission to access this content

For access, try asking to join the group or contacting the group's owners and managers"

Also, I *do* have a Google account.

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
09-06-2020, 07:55 PM
(09-06-2020 07:45 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  

Dave

I'm experiencing the same problem. When I click on "Join this group" I get :

"You don't have permission to access this content

For access, try asking to join the group or contacting the group's owners and managers"

Also, I *do* have a Google account.

Regards,

Jonathan

Well, I just clicked on "Request to join group" and I provided a description of why I wanted to join the group, and I was just approved by the moderators Smile Seems that just clicking on "Request to join group" and providing a reason will resolve any permission problems Smile

Regards,

Jonathan

09-07-2020, 08:14 PM
RE: New HHC Email List
(09-03-2020 06:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  To simply RECEIVE the group emails, you do not need to sign-in to the group, the messages will just come to you.
My point is that I'm still not receiving the group emails. After requesting to join, I received this email:
Quote:We received your request to join hhc-conf.

hhc-conf requires owner approval for join requests. If you would like to continue with your join request, reply to this email or click below:
[ Join This Group ] <<-- This is a button
I clicked the "Join This Group" button and got the message about not having permission to join the group.

So here's a theory: since I don't have permission to join the group, maybe Google still hasn't confirmed my request to join. Maybe the only way to make that happen is to reply to the email.

So that's what I just did and hopefully that will make the emails start to flow.

Thanks,
Dave
09-07-2020, 08:20 PM
(09-07-2020 08:14 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  
(09-03-2020 06:00 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  To simply RECEIVE the group emails, you do not need to sign-in to the group, the messages will just come to you.
My point is that I'm still not receiving the group emails. After requesting to join, I received this email:
Quote:We received your request to join hhc-conf.

hhc-conf requires owner approval for join requests. If you would like to continue with your join request, reply to this email or click below:
[ Join This Group ] <<-- This is a button
I clicked the "Join This Group" button and got the message about not having permission to join the group.

So here's a theory: since I don't have permission to join the group, maybe Google still hasn't confirmed my request to join. Maybe the only way to make that happen is to reply to the email.

So that's what I just did and hopefully that will make the emails start to flow.

Thanks,
Dave

You should have the option to "Request to join group", at which point one of the moderators will likely approve your request after a short time -- it worked for me Smile

Regards,

Jonathan

09-07-2020, 08:24 PM
I just checked now and you have recently (minutes ago) been added to the list.

So, it seems likely your action kicked-off the request and another admin saw that and approved it.

Only one message of relevance has been sent so far, and I will forward you a copy.

--Bob Prosperi
09-08-2020, 01:27 PM
One thing I will add about signing up for the list is that if you already have a gmail account, please use your gmail address when signing up for the list instead of whatever other address you might otherwise use. Doing that will just avoid the hassle and confusion of having multiple accounts to log into Google with.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-29-2020, 01:08 AM
Thanks to Bob for sending out an email. I haven't been on in awhile (busy learning Morse Code) so would not have figured it out by myself.

I sent the required email and will await approval.

Best...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)